Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NUIG Saolta University Hospital Group

Options
  • 27-11-2021 4:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hi, I am applying as a mature student and would be living at home and commuting.

I am interested in Galway as it is just about commutable for me but I have been trying to prepare for the clinical years, like making sure I can get there and costs of travel for placements. The Saolta group of hospital include Mayo University Hospital (UH), Sligo UH, Letterkenny UH and they are all over two hours from my home and also considerable distance from the college itself.

I wondered if anyone could shed some light on the clinical years and if these hospitals that are far from the university are used in rotations.

ANY information gratefully received and very apprecaited ☺️

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭whadabouchasir

Hi. I graduated from NUIG a few years ago. At that time, and I don't believe that this has changed, all students spent 2 Semesters at one of the "Peripheral hospitals". The ones you have mentioned in addition to Portiuncula in Ballinasloe. Either the second semester of 3rd med and 1 st semester of 4th or the second semester of 4th and 1st semester of 5th. You would be full time in one of these hospitals for about 4 months or so, at a time, with any lectures from Galway being videolinked. The hours are quite regular, usually about 8-5 with the occasional longer day or the very odd night on the labour ward.

Advertisement