Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Being called sweet - does it mean the person thinks nothing of you

Options
  • 28-11-2021 2:18am

Hello,

I've been called sweet with different people. With those people they don't seem close to me or feel warm to me. I am wondering when others call people sweet, is it the same as saying 'nice' - it kind of means nothing, the other person views them as bland.

Might seem odd that I'm thinking about this and a person might say take it as a compliment, it's hard to see what it means or even if it truly is a good thing,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,670 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

In New Zealand, 'Sweet' is used as an indication that someone is pleased with something in the same way that we say 'Ok' or 'that's fine'. But don't think they use it to describe someone.

In America, the version 'sweetie' is used as a term of endearment often casually between service staff and customers.

To call someone nice, doesn't indicate bland in my view, it means that someone thinks that person is pleasant and definitely not someone to be avoided.

Maybe in some places it is used as a noun as in, 'that person is a sweet' in which case I think it is the same as being described as nice and if I were you I'd just take it as a compliment.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭NiceFella

I would say yes, it would mean someone especially nice. Like helping people out with no obvious benefit to themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭JoChervil

I am a foreigner but for me nice is often used, when you really can't find anything special about someone, who is generally a positive person. So I would agree, kind of bland. But to be called sweet it would mean, that you are really nice, that it is your really strong characteristic.

'Sweet' is definitely a step up from 'nice'.

Nice is just a euphemistic way of saying "entirely uninteresting and absolutely forgettable."

• Registered Users Posts: 7,880 ✭✭✭YellowLead

It depends on the context. I’m a dating context I think it would mean the same as nice, and probably that they saw you as more of a friend type thing.

I often use the word sweet to describe a behaviour (of a friend or acquaintance) rather than say a person was sweet in general - like ‘oh you’re so sweet’ in response to a kind gesture.

I think without the contexts of the who and the when it’s very hard to judge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,639 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

In general, a positive term.

If somebody you fancy is describing you as sweet, then not such a positive sign in terms of them fancying you back, in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Thesign

Post edited by Thesign on

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

In Yorkshire it was petal or flower....

Advertisement