Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What did you buy today?

• 28-11-2021 9:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭

I know woodworking is not about buying tools, it should be about the end product. But acquiring tools is an enjoyable element of it, new or old. Thought it might be good to have a thread about any new bits you’ve recently taken ownership of. Can be a review or just a quick update.

I got two tools this year, which I feel have massively improved my workshop.

First is Makita track saw and made a diy mft table for it. I only ever had a crap aldi table saw before this, and I genuinely don’t think I ever cut something 90* square on it in 5 years. So disheartening to go at any project knowing you might have to try navigate that saw in the middle of it, and probably ruin the project there. The track saw is so easy, safe and square to use. You can’t go wrong, dust extraction is also amazing, once hooked up to extractor, I’d say 95%+ is captured.

second thing I got is a CTS dust hose and adaptors. 5 adaptors which permanently attach onto your tools and one 5m hose which you can very quickly click between tools. It’s such a brilliant piece of kit, really easy use and for me makes it much easier tackle different jobs. I’d always avoid using the router cause dust would be driven everywhere. Now I quickly Unclick from track saw and into router and off you go. Think it was €80, but really delighted with it.

anyone else get there hands on anything new recently?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Halycon

sorry cant delete this

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,039 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the blade on my ultra-cheap lidl bandsaw broke last night, and i'm debating on whether to replace the blade or the bandsaw. it never ran fully right for me, but it did the job in a pinch.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Halycon

I have and Aldi one and I can understand. Can never get it to cut straight, and I have a new blade and watched all the tutorials.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭bamayang

I have a record and have had my share of hardship trying to get square cuts. There’s lots of little things you can adjust but the best improvement comes from a sharp blade that is right for the job.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,039 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

mine could be aldi for all i can remember too! it's the rebadged scheppach one anyway as far as i can remember.

• Advertisement

huh, i just dismantled said cheapo bandsaw because the mechanism to raise and lower the guide has been jammed since nearly the day i got it. it turns out it was jammed with sawdust, something a bandsaw maker could hardly be expected to anticipate.

Advertisement