Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quote for hanging a door

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,002 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Lol. There's many many many IT contractors. And consultants getting that. You may not get it in an employee role but self employed yes. But that comes with being self employed. Overheads.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,675 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i've seen managers who know the answer to whatever problem presents itself, pay a consultant silly money to tell them what they already know. that way if things do go south, they have the cushion of blaming the consultant. and funnily enough, in a way, the more expensive the contractor, the bigger the cushion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭deravarra

500? I never said I would do it for 500.

I said 500 a day is too much for a tradesman. Perhaps if you actually read what I said before commenting, you'd be a little clearer.

As for Bulgaria - I mentioned it once, and it was dismissed. I clarified - and it was dismissed, so I had to clarify again.

There's far too many "tradesmen" out there charging for half finished jobs and providing shoddy work. There was once such a thing as pride in a tradesman's work. Now it's in and out, and get the big bucks. That's the problem.

Perhaps you're one of those.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,675 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

genuine question - are you quoting a rate which would apply to someone who has qualified as an apprentice, as a wage? i'm asking because you specify it's the minimum rate

or to ask another way - is that what a recently qualified tradesperson would get if they got a job hanging doors in an apartment complex, for example? whereas in this case you'd be paying someone running their own business, having overheads of attending site to quote, dealing with potential issues of badly fitted door frames, etc.?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭Suckler

It's not pertinent at all. Just because you're mates are disingenuous and have poor business acumen, doesn't mean this is relevant to what others are doing. Assertion in all caps about "KNOWING" this doesn't make it anymore relevant, realistic or accurate.

"Now I know it must be difficult for you to understand" - how trite. Should more of my friends, colleagues,subcontractors etc. have made bad investments and then used the deficit to 'overcharge'? It doesn't check out in the real world unfortunately, unless every single builder,carpenter, joiner, plumber, electrician etc. have all made the exact same unfortunate investment and that's become a common accepted 'overhead'. As you seem to be a bit naive to swallow that, I'll let you die on that rock Bulgarian apartment.

And, if you wish to get in to some sort of p1ssing contest, my background is in a trade but I then moved over to the dark side of construction and got a 3rd level qualification also spanning decades...but I never bought an apartment in Bulgaria so I'm probably not qualified enough.

• Advertisement

Id advertise it on tradesman.ie ...I'd give no one 500 euro a day...not even a solicitor are on that...they are picking a figure and seeing if it will stick...I now see why the nixers are so popular.

Fortunately for me I don't work in the trade. Various family members do. Its hard work. I earn far more doing far less grueling stuff.

€500 a day based on a standard 220 day work year is about €110k gross. i'd be surprised that if you say needed a solicitor full time for a week, they'd charge anything as low as €2.5k.

It's the minimum rate from 2022 on a labour court recommendation.

That's the minimum a qualified tradesperson would get if they got a job in their trade field. There's nothing in the recommendation to suggest it should only be a starting point for only newly qualified tradespeople. It might even apply to some with experience.

Out of 6 door frames, would all 100% of them be badly fitted? I doubt it.

• Advertisement

Of course it is pertinent. I know one who did, and I am sure he wasn't the only one who did as such. Again, if you believe otherwise, you prove your naivety yet again.

All caps. Sorry if I offended you, but I just wanted to stress that this was someone I personally know, rather than something plucked out of thin air. You seem to allude to me doing that.

Yes, it must be difficult for you, who has beacons of stainless business acumen within the trades, to understand that not everyone holds to their exacting standards. And I never said this was a commonly accepted overhead. Feel free to point out where I did. But you can't, because I didn't say it. I provided one example of someone I KNOW (oops, sorry for offending you again). I would not be so naive to believe that everyone in the building game does the same. You seem to have a bit of a comprehension problem. You ascribe beliefs to me based on a personal sentiment after reading my response.

The issue of whether or not you bought an apartment anywhere neither adds nor detracts from the fact that at least one contractor did and subsequently chose to raise prices to cover his losses.

It’s not pertinent at all, you just need it to be to shoehorn it in as an argument. You KNOW someone who foolishly bought apartments and, somehow, get to overcharge to make up for their losses as “Overheads”.

You did insinuate it was common practice when responding to the comment on overheads – “Overheads? Like the apartment in Spain, or the house in Bulgaria?”

Again, making assumptions. Comprehension isn't your strongest point.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,354 ✭✭✭blackbox

When will the eastern European tradespeople get word that it would be a good time to come back to Ireland?

Best you can do? Pathetic.

Tell us again about the Bulgarian properties.

And you're the one going on earlier about p1ssing competition?

They are here already and charging the equivalent of their Irish counterparts, or slightly less, and thinking we are mugs to be paying for it

• Registered Users Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

"A builder friend had 3 apartments paid for, and nothing to show for in Bulgaria. He's lost money. He subsequently increased his prices to make up the shortfall in his investment. But you don't think that happens, no? You're either very gullible or innocent."

So were all his customers happy to pay him higher prices than all the other local builders, just because of his bad property investments?

Thought you were a tradesman. Surely you should be out there racking it in for your Bulgarian portfolio...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭poker--addict

Not enough of them yet! Hence this thread is really about supply and demand (not Bulgarian apartments!)

No you wont get a solicitor for 2.5K per week, but they have trained for years, in a semi-closed market. The trades are busy right now, there is no other justification for the rates people are seeing for smaller jobs. There are people in "skilled" jobs after years of education and upskilling earning half 450e/day, and not getting paid in cash either.

The current rates being charged by many trades at the moment are not sustainable or justifiable in the long run. I'm not sure efforts to justify them on the thread beyond the scope of supply and demand are realistic - unless the same people will support a doubling in prices for doctors, pilots, teachers, architects.

It is frustrating for those who have work that can't wait, but the laws of supply and demand are firmly in play. There will have been years where the trades were unfairly pinned to the wall. Sadly many of that era are possibly out of business and not getting to make hay now.

😎

• Advertisement

• Jesus the shite being talked in this thread by some individuals.

you know some tradesmen do ya? My mother and fathers side are all builders, sparks, mechanics and plumbers. with a few teachers and SNA’s peppered in.

Among ALL of them NONE own second properties in either this country or another.

And specifically to @deravarra you claim you happen to know a few lads (and it sounds like a lad) at that and you are despite objections trying to make it sound like the norm. Your first post said it straight out - “the overheads like the apartment in Bulgaria or Spain”

what you’re implying there is any tradesperson claiming “overheads” can’t be talking about business expenses it has to be another property?..

the fact you haven’t even got the balls to just come out admit what you’re saying is what you’re saying is the saddest part. The mental gymnastics you’re going through to justify that nonsense is astounding.

And it’s even funnier to me you wouldn’t offer your own self proclaimed trade skills to offer the OP a better quote over just bitching about another tradesman’s quote.

honestly pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,607 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

If someone thinks the current going rate for a tradesman is over priced, they have the option of waiting to see if the price drops sometime in the future. Until then, if a tradesman is paid what the market will bear, they are being paid what they are worth. If that is €150 per door, then deravarra you can say €500 is the max that should be paid, you just won’t get a chippy to do it for you if someone else is willing to pay €900.

I am sure he didn't include that in any of his quotes.

Did he include the amount to cover his investment losses in his quotes? If he did, would that not make him uncompetitive vs his peers?

You're just a bit too boring and yet heated up at the same time.

Go away and re read what I said. Do not put words into my mouth.

You and your "havent got the balls"

All these builders are so innocent and never invested in any foreign apartment scheme?

Just like nobody ever makes a false insurance claim?

We all know that's just not true.

Let me be specific. Because, for some people you just have to.

He did not have any portion of his quotations mention "loading for loss on investment property".

Does that clarify?

And given the amount of work he had at the time, and still does, the amount loaded on would not have been colossal.

From what I gather, the losses amounted to under €75,000, and were recouped over a 10 year period.

You seem to be specifically avoiding the question about how me managed to load extra costs onto his quotes in a competitive market.

I do not have his quotations from a few years ago. Would you like me to ask him to send them to me so I can share them?

He said he would load, and I understand that he did.

Nothing more I can do for your not believing me.

• Advertisement

Apologies for all the useless side swiping that seems to be happening, without actually dressing your issue.

I would suggest you shop around. One quote is not a good thing to get. Beware of unscrupulous tradespeople who might try to take advantage of the fact that there seems to be less around to do the work.

I would hope a genuine tradesman with some modicum of integrity will help you out for a much less price

Advertisement