Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quote for hanging a door

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭Suckler

You've just proven you know very little about what your're talking about despite "decades of experience"(?).

Personal loss on investments (Property or otherwise) are not related to business costs and/or overheads.

Two very separate things.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

You were able to speak definitively about what he put into his quotes. You brought this up yourself.

The problem is that, when he gave you some macho BS about loading his invoices, you didn't think it through and ask him how he'd manage to load his invoices in a competitive market. If he loads it on top of standard market prices, he's going to be uncompetitive, and he won't be getting any work, never mind work at 'loaded' price levels.

In a market like this, no-one gets to add arbitrary amounts to their quotes for any reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,607 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

If your services are in demand, charging market rate is not unscrupulous. In fact it would be a bit silly not to charge the going rate.

Good tradespeople are always in demand, most know the value of their work and will not take less than that value.

deravarra, just because you decide what a fair price is does not mean the market has to listen. The op might well find a lower price, but it is highly unlikely that he/she will find someone to hang a door, hinges/locks and all for €80 per door if market rate is €150.

I’d like to pay €3 a pint and be able to buy the car I want for €30k, but the market won’t listen to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭deravarra

I'm sure loads of pub owners would love to be able to sell pints at 7 euro or more. Some do and get the custom.

But what you won't get is most ordinary decent bar owners telling all and sundry that the 7 euro + price is justified.

I haven’t found one to sell me a Guinness for €3 either, and I can assure you, I’ve got a lot of quotes from different providers.

daravarra, you are assuming that the €900 quote is the equivalent of the €7 pint, when in fact it may be the equivalent of the €5 pint. There could well be much higher quotes out there for the op.

You are arguing about what the price should be, when a trade is in demand, the market will set the price regardless of what you think is fair.

• Advertisement

Let the OP be aware that some unscrupulous trades people will charge a high figure and seek to justify it under lots of different headings and for what may seem reasonable costs.

But then there are those who will charge less, and still walk away with a job well done and a profit.

Let the OP ask the carpenter if they have included costs for their failing investments in the price. If so its deravarra's "mate" and he should be told how to price a job. (despite managing to stay operating somehow whilst including these "overheads" within quotes)

Judging by what others have posted, the quote the op got is no higher than the going rate, what you are looking for is someone who will do as good a job for half the market rate. That is a tough task.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭thefa

Can’t see that happening. Going to college has a been a well established path for at least a couple of decades now. Will always be people drawn to trades, even more so when there’s good money in it.

These things come in cycles. Make hay when the sun shines.

There you go. Not only can you not read, but you seem to be fond of the passing contest you bemoaned earlier.

Not interested in helping the OP as I eventually tried to do, you simply tried to use my response to be a smart a$$ and have another go.

Go on so. You have the last word. Because you know everything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,373 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

As someone who would hang doors and do general finished timber work for myself only, I think a price of 900 is nuts.

No way is it a 2 man job. Door can be lifted up with a little foot lever.

I always said I was too slow at timber work to make any money doing it I could make a very good weeks wages at those rates. I'd do 4 or so in a day as a diyer with basic tools such as a router, couple of chisels, level, plane and a couple of drills.

You must be earning a hell of a lot doing whatever job you do, to pass up making €900 a day as a carpenter.

I'd do 4 or so so that would be 600 per day at those prices. I don't make that kind of money at all but locally here you wouldn't get a fraction of that figure. A carpenter here would hang probably twice what I'd do and I'd say a man by himself would be very happy with 400 any given day here in rural mayo so my work worth 200 per day.

I work in construction on the professional side so going out working as a carpenter would kill my business even if I could make it pay.

If you are earning far more than 500 per day fair play.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭Boooourns

Ha yeah I've created a monster on this thread by mistake.

The quote was from a local business, not from a tradesman but I have been in contact with a carpenter who's calling up to give me a quote.

I did feel it was overpriced so I said I'd ask someone else. Will be interesting to see what they quote.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭lalababa

I remember a fella , he was in his 50's and earned good money sole trader with specific skills, during the height of the boom hearing that one of the local carpenters was charging 100 a door...saying...."I'd rather hang myself"... haha

Slightly different skill but on a commercial site I worked on there was a big lad installing prehung doors into blockwork opes. Completely different task to hanging a door from scratch into a frame but he used to get very upset if he went over 9 minutes per door. He would do an entire hotel corridor in the day.

I was getting 80-100 a door roughly 15-20 years ago. Vast majority were softwood hollow core panel doors.

It's certainly high but as the other posts above mention, could be simple supply and demand issue. OP mentioned they approved a company rather than sole trader, they mightn't ne interested in (what they consider) small jobs.

I would get a 3 or 4 bed semi d done in a day, assuming cheap and cheerful softwood doors and the existing frames being in decent order. 2 or 3 doors downstairs, 3 or 4 upstairs. The doors were nice and light so I could do them myself and as you say a lever to position them. Oak doors would have a bit of weight in them and I wouldn't fancy hawking them up a stairs in someones house as they watching you.

You mentioned they were oak doors, granted slightly heavier than the cheaper hollow internal doors and the lock block would take a bit longer than a softwood door. Are they all single doors or are some french doors in there? Are the frames in decent order?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,005 ✭✭✭Xander10

A polish chap recommended to me charged €30 to hang a door . Excellent job too.

Yeah all single doors, frames look okay to me anyway. We live in a bungalow as well

• Advertisement

In the interest of transparency, can you confirm you do not know me, nor have an apartment in bulgaria? 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Saladin Ane

Well, how did it go? Please don't leave us hanging!

????

I don't know who you are so I don't know if I know you or not but I'd be stunned if I did.

I don't have an apartment in Bulgaria.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,415 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

How much would you expect to pay a company per man, per hour? (Obviously somebody on a weekender cash in hand job will be cheaper, but I assume you doing this legitimately).

Those are rates of pay for employees. Not the charge out rate for the company. On top of those rates you you have to factor in, tax, overheads, and profit. for the business. They have to cover the costs of their website, advertising, admin staff. If they only charged the minimum wage for the guy on site, then every other employee has no pay.

This is how all professional business work. Curious as to what line of work you are in tbh.

I'm sure you could get it done for cheaper. But the cheapest guy on the market is cheapest for a reason.

You might not get 500 a day. But I guarantee you boss charges the clients more than he pays you.

Kinga baffled that people don't see the difference between the two.

I know what I get paid an hour, I also know what I charge clients per hour for small jobs. The two are related, but they are not close to the same number.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

I replied to "i've seen lads in IT consulting pull in three times that a day". I don't talk about how much my company charges for my services as quite often they don't tell employees, so I think it's reasonable to assume the OP meant what the worker was earning directly.

The OP is a client paying a company for a service. He’s talking about the charge out rate, not the wages. That’s my point, people are failing to see the difference.

The company is charging 500, the guy isn’t being paid 500*. Similar idea with the quote minimum hourly wages.

*(Well it was 450, but same idea).

Ha, so we held off on that company and i have a carpenter calling down over the next week to price it up, he said we're looking at around 100 per door. Possible savings of 300 euro!

A solo chippie will definitely be cheaper than going through a larger company. Just the simple logistics and such involved with overheads and the like.

As an example, for a particular amount of work, I might get paid 1000, my company bills the client 2000. If I was to do that bit of work directly for the client

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭paul-2008

Had 7 doors hung last week into existing frames in the south east. Carpenter removed old doors, fitted new hinges and handles. Took about 12 hours in total (1.5 days roughly) was charged €450

Advertisement