Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cloudy Kerosene

• 29-11-2021 2:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭

I posted about my problem a couple of days ago in the DIY section, but was advised here is a more appropiate section.

Last weekend, my oil burner stopped. After much inspection, the pump on it had failed. In the process of finding the fault I saw that the keresone was cloudy. It's been in the tank since April of last year when the price of oil was at an all time low. It was in a 1000 litre tank, but had about 500 litres of it used last winter, so it's been sitting a while. I replaced the pump, but changed the the tank for a 25 litres one on a temporary basis, with new clear kerosene, as I suspect the cloudy kerosene is water contaminated, and the reason for the pump failing in the first place.

I came across this site

https://www.centretank.com/news/story/what-does-cloudy-diesel-fuel-mean

which says they sell an absorber that can clean the keresone. https://www.centretank.com/products/detail/aquafighter-canvas-fuel-tank-water-absorber

Thing is, that's a UK site, and I was hoping to find somewhere here that supplies the same or similar product. Or, is there an old wives trick that can be done to do the same job? I have c500 litres of oil I cannot burn as it is.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

If you're talking about Aquafighter, it's just the stuff they put in nappies. It absorbs water but not kerosene.

Essentially they're charging an arm and a leg for what you can get in Lidl or Aldi.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

Your local oil boiler tech will have a paste that he can use to check your tank for water. He'll probably also have a way of removing it.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭jimf

water will not mix with kerosene it will sink to the bottom

so it looks like a complete pump out to me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭JabbaTheHut

Thanks for that. That's the sort of thing I was wondering about. I'll give that a go with a test batch and see if it does something.

I have a jar of the oil sitting in the garage to see if it will clear over time.

If not, I'll give my bolier man a shout and see what he thinks.

I thought the same about water, but what could it be if it's not? Now, it's was in an IBC tank, but I've been using one for the last 22 years, and never had a problem. Unless it's a different plastic on this one?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭JoChervil

I know nothing about cloudy kerosene, but if it doesn't mix with water, as someone above said, so the water as a heavier liquid should be at the bottom of the tank, so it could be removed in a way water used to be removed from aquarium ages ago. I remember doing it as a child.

You need to have a transparent pipe of a few millimetres diameter. Long enough to touch the bottom of the tank and the bucket outside. Put one end to the very bottom of the tank. Suck it till the liquid rise in the pipe above the rim of the tank and below the top of kerosene in the tank. Close the pipe with a finger and put it to any container for removing this trapped water. The end of liquid needs to be below the level of the kerosene. Only then open the pipe and the liquid from the bottom of the tank will run out using a suction underpressure. Wait for a water to run out and till kerosene appeared at the end of the pipe.

But to make it work liquid should not be moved for few hour beforehand to let them better separate.

At least I would try such way. But it might not work in your case, because maybe water is not a reason. Maybe bacteria grew in the water?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭jimf

unless the sun had a reaction with the kero in the ibc

as its not suitable for kero storage

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭longgonesilver

What colour was your kerosene origionally?

It was red, but not translucant. I took a sample of it in a jar, and left it for a week now. When I put it in it was cloudy, but has now cleared. However, there's no sign of water or any contaminant in the bottom of the jar. I put a freshly poured jar of new keresone beside it, and it look exactly the same, something that a week ago could not be said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

Would I be wrong in thinking that kerosene can look cloudy at very low temperatures, as we had recently ?

• Advertisement

You could be right, but all I can tell you is I took a second sample yesterday, and it was cloudy. Also, something in the keresone knackered the pump, so I doubt the cold could be the cause.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

I got it wrong, I thought that you said that the latest sample looked the same as the cleared sample.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭doctorchopper

This stuff works good if you want to confirm you have water in the tank, put the paste on a stick and swish it around in the tank. We use it to test for water in aviation fuel barrels https://www.amazon.co.uk/Water-Finding-Detects-harmful-Heating/dp/B00NU6C036/ref=sr_1_20?keywords=fuel+water+detector&qid=1638636044&sr=8-20

Might give that a go. The lad I normally use to look after the boiler isn't available for a while, and other lads are up the walls. I'm in no panic as I'm working away on a 5 gallon drum for now.

Just to give an update to this.

I used the 5 gallon drum for the rest of the winter. Sometime early last spring, my plumber tested the kerosene and said there was no water in it, and we gave it a go. It ran for about 20 minutes, and then stopped again. The pump had failed, so we just replaced the pump, and worked away until the weather warmed up with the 5 gallon drum. I had no real plan in place.

About 3 weeks ago, I said it's try the kerosene again, and it's been perfect. I didn't do anything to it over the summer, only let it sit there. So whatever it was that did in my pumps, everything is sorted. For now, anyway.

So, in the end, I'm afraid there is no satisfactory conclusion. On the upside, I suppose, I do have 500 litres of very cheap kerosene for a while to use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,562 ✭✭✭10-10-20

I wonder did the water settle out of suspension and go to the bottom?

I don't know. I did drain off about a gallon before I connected up the burner in case that was the case, but there was no water in it. I'd just said I'd update the post for anyone who may have a problem like this in the future. Unfortunately, there are no lessons that can be learned from the experience, I suppose.

Advertisement