Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FI Charts ( T120+ onwards) Winter 2021/2022 **READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST POST**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Ah day 10.. i see the train a comin...

GFS 6z still resolute that it all goes Pete Tong after 168hrs.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,877 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

A fantastic run by the ECM. That would deliver an absolute pasting for much of Leinster and showers would also get along way into the midlands and parts of munster too. We really need all the other models on board with this particular run over the next few days.

There is something odd with the GFS, not just over the past few days but the past few weeks. I've noticed it is tending to throw out the mildest charts it can find for many operational runs over the past few weeks, the odd time it throws in a very cold run and rarely shows us the more likely outcome. This mornings GFS is same as yesterday's 12z going full on for zonality and mild after Christmas. This run is one of the most extreme mild runs in the current set. However there has been a shift back to cold in general with many of the other lower resolution GFS members.

GEM isn't great this morning and looking at the other members there are only 2 members out of 21 going for something similar to this mornings ECM. However the GEM does seem more to support a cold outbreak closer to New Year's Eve.

CFS is still cold or very cold for the Christmas holidays but more of a northerly so that would be mostly dry.

As for that beautiful ECM run this is the precipitation chart towards the end of the run.

If the above verified there would be serious disruption with prolonged snow and possibly blizzard conditions across much of Leinster and into the midlands. This is perfection and all we want for Christmas. The wind direction is spot on as the IOM shadow wouldn't really affect us, it would be more of a problem for Northern Ireland. If the winds had any more of a northerly tilt to them then the IOM Shadow would come into play. Even if the ECM proves correct and the other models start supporting this, we are unlikely to get the wind direction at this perfect angle to maximize snow streamers across Leinster from Louth to Wexford. All eyes down on the ECM this evening, fingers crossed it continues to show charts like this. I would like to see the GEM getting back to the colder solutions it had earlier in the week and for the CFS to continue throwing out cold charts with sweet easterlies rather than northerlies.

I don't have alot of confidence in the GFS 12z, it will probably be another very mild outlier. The Pub run didn't even work last night it stopped at 144 hours on wetterzentrale.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Amazing ECM run.

The GFS going out to 147hrs was only on Wetterzentrale (I think).

Question now is will the ECM continue with limited support from the GEM.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

06z gfs ensembles showed a bit more support for ECM evolution vs the 00z, still room for it to come back on board.

I would add in the UKMO as probably heading the same direction as the ECM although hard to tell with it only going to day 7.

Hopefully the 12z's get the seasonal message 😎

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

Interesting that ECMWF is leading the cold charge where where previously it was GFS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭bazlers

I like the fact ECM has been conveying cold scenarios for 24th/25th quiet consistently.

If see see this getting pushed out further and further its time to wipe the slate clean and on to the next merry go round.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Donegal Ken

Something which always forgot in this sort of set up is north Donegal especially around Inishowen which receives plenty of snow from streamers along the north coast if the wind direction is right.

Note also that the ECMWF showed storm Barra 9 days out on the 18th of November and storm Barra hit Ireland on the 7th of December so this may be a good Oman. It nailed it on the head. I have attached that run below from the 28th of November.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,275 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

What are Munsters chances? Sorry, I know this isn't a chat thread, but just not sure what the charts indicate for my part of the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

Big Upgrade From the Gfs

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭RugbyLad11

Jesus I'm usually always in Dublin but I'll be in Belfast over the Christmas. When Belfast gets snow I'm in Dublin, and when Dublin gets snow I'm in Belfast 😂

• Advertisement

UKMO 12z is lovely - GFS is slowly backtracking to ECM scenario... GAME ON!

Situation is still very fluid, nowhere ruled out or in just yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭almostthere12

For Munster for Christmas day need to move everything a bit further west and we are laughing.

GFS is now giving snow for Munster on Stephen's Day, with ECM giving streamers for southeast Munster Christmas Day...........that's what it looks like to me anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,594 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Jesus talk about a u-turn in operational runs, both GFS 12z and ECM 0z show dream like charts for anybody wishing for a white Christmas. It would be one of the all-time Christmasses I am very sure of that. How likely is such? Well unlikely as always but not impossible. I noticed that the ECM OP was in its biggest cluster which surprised me and most were supportive of some kind of cold easterly by day 10.

GFS doing a u-turn like that is a big red flag, the model is not good at handling the troughing in the Atlantic. More runs definitely needed. I am mentally preparing myself for a ECM u-turn now 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

GFS 12z delivers the goods and a big about turn from this mornings output! Watch the ECM 12z $hit the bed now 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 7,183 ✭✭✭pad199207

I’m with the frog. I’m a little bit interested now.

I've a good feeling about this one, the timing seems suspiciously perfect but things are looking good... let's get some form of consistency in now please.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,877 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

GFS 12z a massive change and brings a 2 day snow fest, very similar to the ECM

The butterflies in my stomach have started in preparation for this evenings ECM 12z, will we have more of the same, an upgrade or will it break our hearts.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Little snowy old me

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Little snowy old me

I'm trying to not take any heed of the latest charts.... but I can't not feel a tad excited.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

God, it would be lovely to have this verify all the way to Christmas - something nice to obsess about on the internet!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭esposito

Mouthwatering that chart. GEM 12Z again looks very good. Very consistent.

The next 7 days of model watching are going to be painful - it will feel like an eternity. I think it could be "hide behind the sofa" time as this evening's ECM rolls out 😮

When we had yesterdays GFS 12z unleash the pigs ear I was very unhappy about it but part of me was kinda relieved that we wouldn't be heading into another week of heartdropping moments every morning and every evening for the 6z and 12z. The tension is definitely back on now and I think it is obvious we're due some more sea sawing of models and charts.

GEM 12z isn't cold yet but does show plenty of promise and could end up getting very cold towards the new year.

Not looking forward to the ECM 12z but I hope it's another great one. We have waited 11 years now for a cold and snowy winter. We Deserve this. I know there was 2018, but that was really a Spring event.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Changwhitewater

ECM 12z similar to the morning run. A strong block with lows sliding more ESE than SE resulting in them sliding a little closer to our south coast than earlier run. Colder airmass moving in from a slacker NE rather than ENE direction by Xmas Day. Lots of snow-making potential in the mix in the latter parts of the run from Xmas Day night into the 26th.

Ultimately, in the more reliable 3-5 day period up to Tuesday the model is a slight improvement on the 0z run. Just need a few more days of consistency on ECM/GFS now.

Post edited by Changwhitewater on

ECM 12z is done. Not as good if you want snow and the air over us is milder but overall the trend is very similar to this morning. Basically the cold has shifted north by about 200 miles. Looks very similar to the GEM 12z. If we see similar charts in the morning to both of today's ECM's and a continuation of GFS and it's ensembles going colder then we can start to feel more confident about all this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

UKMO at T168

Rain in Southern half of Ireland. Snow above that. All subject to change but at least its showing it to be snowing somewhere in ireland before Christmas eve.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭snowgal

Ladies and gents, this is the call for the white Christmas train, All aboard the heartbreaking rollercoaster!!

ICON only goes to Christmas Eve but it's looking good and shows that it can get fairly cold from Christmas Day.

The GEM 12z is similar to the ECM 12z but the lower resolution GEM members go up to 384 hours just like the GFS and several of them are developing very cold conditions for us in the run from Christmas Day to New Years Day.

Over the past week of model watching, today has definitely been the most promising day. However we still have 9 days to go with this so plenty more surprises on the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Shot before this. Light snow across west Ulster and Wicklow mountains. Probably snow on the Northern third of this system as it heads North across the country. Long bit away, might not happen. If it stalls somewhere could be a nice big dump before Christmas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

I thought the winter of 2017-18 was a decent snowy one. December 10th 2017 here was quite snowy and there were lots more days after that too...

Incidentally that UKMO chart posted above for Dec 23rd looks notably similar to the December 10th event, a heavy rain front that turned to snow after.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement