Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FI Charts ( T120+ onwards) Winter 2021/2022 **READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST POST**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

The GFS is starting to back up the ECM on the 12z

A lot of snow on the wicklow mountains still today by the way 👍

• Registered Users Posts: 23,702 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Not much further progress today for coldies but the overall trend toward colder conditions for Christmas continues. Whether or not it will be notable is well up for grabs. It's finely balanced as it always is.

It's still too distant. Maybe from tomorrow night we'll be able to start going in to a bit more depth on the charts for Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Tom_Crean

Witnessed one Christmas with snow falling, this century, 2004. And one with it on the ground, 2010. Probably due one.

1995 had a bit of snow falling in my area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

-10c 850 temps creeping into North Eastern parts Christmas night on the GFS 18z - a variation on a theme, Polar vortex looks shot to pieces yet again.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,958 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Is that what ye are looking for 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Donegal Ken

Thats just the GFS on its way home on Christmas night after a few drinks at the neighbours house 😂. Sunday evening will be a crucial point and we should have a fair idea by then. It could be a case that models show a short spell of temperatures very cold for a day or two and prolonge it as we get closer to the time. Or else the other scenario but let not talk about that.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,877 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

When we talk about 'White Christmas' there is 2 in my lifetime that I can remember since the late 70s but both had flaws.

The first is 2004. I remember back then Weathercheck was the weather moderator here on boards and he correctly predicted the 2004 event for 25th December. This was indeed a white Christmas but the morning was relatively mild and it started raining and temperature dropped and it turned to snow, this was a cold zonal system I think. By nightfall it had stopped snowing, about 2 inches of very wet snow on the ground, then the temperature started to rise a bit more and a few hours later it was back to green grass.

The next is 2010. Probably the 2nd best snow event of my life and Christmas Day morning we woke up to winter wonderland scenes but we already knew that was the end of the event. The snow had stopped falling the day before and from Stephens Day it started melting and the rest of the winter was fairly mild.

This year, if everything goes exactly how we want it to, the snow will start falling on Christmas morning and snow trains on the go all day and lasting into Stephens Day and possibly beyond, Now wouldn't that be magical. Proper snow falling and no chance of melting. A day of getting the dinner ready while looking at increasing snow depths outside the window. One can only dream.

Getting back to the models, we need to see consistency and perhaps a few more upgrades across the board for me to start getting properly excited. Everything is still a bit marginal or there is a lack of precipitation due to wind direction. The ECM 6z really was the perfect one tho. I want to see another one or two of those tomorrow and everyday from here on in. If we are still seeing great charts from Monday evening, then the excitement can really begin. Until then everything is too far away to be reliable and liable to big changes for better or for worse.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,877 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

There is some minor to medium warming taking place. This week there will be a warming on the Siberian side.

This is not an SSW but still it may cause the PV to move slightly.

This will weaken and then around New Year's Day there could be a second warming on the United States side.

While still not a SSW this would put the PV under a bit of pressure.

Depending on if these warmings happen we could see a collapse of the AO, however there is scatter in this so not guaranteed.

Most of us here will be glued to the models over the next few weeks, this is not a 2019 pigs ear winter by any means.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭sicknotexi

Best Gef ensembles so far this winter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

-8 uppers by 2pm Christmas Day. GFS is falling into line and about time. Hope this continues. Very interesting model watching over the next few days.

Bit of sneachta for Munster Christmas Day on the ECM 0z.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Ho Ho Ho, Merry Christmas from the big two models this morning...

Omicron, Schmomicron.....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭pauldry

It's amazing the way the charts have flipped in a couple of days. For me it's too early to be showing this. A couple of years ago there was charts very similar to this and by Christmas Eve the wind turned that little bit Northwesterly and we got wet sleet that night and woke to wetness and sleety showers

However even more years ago probably 8 there was similar blue charts and it snowed in the Midlands on Stephen's Day as some boy racers crashed into our car sliding on the sneachta n ice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Some interesting weather over the next few months would be a great distraction from the elephant in the room, fingers crossed we get some, I'm very optimistic we will at some stage!

Big few days of model watching ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,183 ✭✭✭pad199207

The dreaded C has shown up at our door so a good snowfall and freeze up will really brighten things up

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭gerrybhoy

Just as well as the pubs are going to be shutting at 5,so we can all just go out and have a big massive snowball fight🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭esposito

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭almostthere12

Well the GFS 6z is a disappointment. Not sure how the low slides south of Ireland on this run but the cold never gets a foothold whereas on the 0z when the low was coming directly up against the cold it was the cold that was winning out!!

Any technical explanations for this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Shilock

I love these weather conditions, looking at the magic

seaweed Lahinch surf forecast it's perfect for surfing this weekend. Nothing huge, offshore breeze, and a nice mellow swell...sweet

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

Poor Gfs Run. Just when we need a bit of consistency.

Mix of good and bad, marginally more the latter this morning for snow fans.

I'll wait till all the model runs are finished this evening and we'll have a closer look because Christmas is getting in to more reasonable time frame now.

Still all to play for I hasten to add!

One run, and 8 days out.

It's rarely simple and straightforward. Which is a pity, I get dizzy on roller coasters!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Tom you've seen enough snow and ice for one lifetime already!

Ha ha ha! I was lucky to come out alive out of the Antartic😂

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

• Advertisement

poor enough runs this morning. ECM is more of a northerly so that's mostly cold but dry. GEM is not that cold and the GFS is a snowmaker for Scotland and parts of Eastern England but nothing in there for us. There would need to be serious improvements in this evenings 12z models in terms of snow and cold.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement