Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving All Funds to one Bank?

• 29-11-2021 7:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭

Hello

Currently i have a Savings Account (AIB) and Current Account (Ulster Bank). i want to create a Join account with my partner at AIB. Due to Ulster bank moving from market I also will need to move my current account so AIB is an option. Any risk to having 3 Accounts with 1 Bank , by this i mean scams and what a bank covers . I belive they cover 100K in event of a scam but is that per account or just per account holder?

Pat

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭ROVER

The Deposit Guarantee Scheme at €100,000.00 covers deposits in Irish owned banks in the event the bank goes bust. Unfortunately it does not cover fraud.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭OU812

it's per account. Advisable to keep some funds with another bank in the event of an emergency/system outage

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Pat201

Thanks Folks for the info

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,146 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I'd keep funds in another bank for emergency or Revolut would be another option. Have been a number of occasions in the last few years with account and card outages that could have left you high and dry for days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,355 ✭✭✭✭elperello

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Maximum 100k per person in each affected institution is protected.

ie. 100k in AIB and 100k in B of I and they both go bankrupt, you're covered for 2x 100k

If you have 127k in a banking institution that goes bankrupt, you're only covered for 100k of it.

Advertisement