Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why is Dublin such a shιtty city?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Sallywag37

Accommodation in Dublin "went stupid" long before 2017.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,833 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Yep 10 years ago I visited a friend who moved into a place in Cork st. He was being charged 1100 for a tiny apartment over a shop… he was making decent money in IT and the job was in the city…

1 bedroom, kitchen come dining room, bathroom…the area was ok during the day but zombie apocalypse at night…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,543 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I heard about the homophobic attack on a gay man who was a rugby player outside The George on the news this evening. The pictures of him about his injuries from his stay in hospital on social media were grim looking but thankfully not life threatening.

He was attacked by an older man who was giving him homophobic remarks outside the nightclub overnight Saturday into Sunday morning.

There was also some other unverified stories appearing on Twitter that occurred in Dublin which were quite alarming.

One story was linked to a 20 year-old student from Japan. He had been the victim of a racist attack by some local teenage youths on bicycles which took place outside Dundrum Town Centre in Dublin. The youths were saying comments like "Why don't of back to your own country?" and so on.

There was also another incident on a teenage girl being assaulted on a Luas by some teenage boys as well. I don't know the location of this story however the tweet remarked that the attack on the young girl was not an isolated case.

I don't know how this stuff carries on unimpeded in our capital city. It is disgraceful stuff. If these youths along with the man who did the homophobic attack in the city centre very recently don't receive any form of creditable justice. It will get undoubtedly get a lot worse before it gets better.

RTÉ's Prime Time will be broadcasting a special report about the demise of O'Connell Street in Dublin this Tuesday night.

Have any of you guys been to O'Connell St lately while you were at work or at other times during the week or so?

I still have not ventured out there for the past number of years. Has it become worse as the pandemic is trying to ware itself down at the moment or are there any outstanding issues that have not settled down yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭PommieBast

I lived round the corner from O'Connell St. until July 2021 so not sure about post-lockdown, but in the prior 8 years I think it was about the same over those years. If I was to pick out a single problem of all my time in Dublin it is undisciplined kids who know you cannot give them a well-deserved smack.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Count Dracula

It is the largest city on this island with over a million people living in it.

Lots of nasty shít is going to go down.... every day.

Went into Kays Restaurant in Jervis Shopping Centre first time after Pandemic. Got a small cappucino and chocolate eclair. for the tidy little sum of € 8.15

That's my last visit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Can guarantee you that Prime Time won't mention the most obvious thing that strikes people about O'Connell street these days, as they film a street that looks like its in Delhi or Buenos Aires

Three years of raping a little child, and no prison time. That shouldn't happen in any civilized country and it just tells the victims that what happened to them didn't matter. If little kids aren't protected, no one is.

Genuinely wish I didn't click into that article.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Greyfox

It's disgusting that she says this young man rather than this rapist, the judge is essentially saying raping a little girl is no big deal, it is any wonder why many victims don't report when they have been raped

At least it’s not cork

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

My suburb is now dirtier than a New Delhi enclave

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Quitelife

Its not confined to Dublin - Lawlessness is everywhere in Ireland these days from Villages to Dublin.

The state has lost control of many towns and villages which are now controlled by large extended Irish criminal families everything from youngsters shop lifting to drug dealing to intimidation of the law abiding. Many towns have no garda station making it easy peasy for the criminals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 924 ✭✭✭thegame983

The only time the government (or the media) really care about crime is when they can attach a 'hate' angle to it - violence against women, homophobic attacks, etc. as they can then pontificate on the subject and pretend like they care.

The vast majority of crime which is just anti social behavior and assaults committed by scumbags against regular people just going about their business, they could not give two f**ks about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭saabsaab

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,881 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Now now Robbie, the last thing people want to see is a live stream of a vibrant, peaceful, clean, stunning street in a modern city with amazing architecture & a superb museum within. Doesn't match up with the country barstool narrative here!

Post edited by John_Rambo on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

Ah here, it’s not third world but it’s hardly clean, modern or architecturally pleasing. Dublin is pretty filthy. I was shocked when I went to Cork by how clean it was in comparison. Dublin could be worse, but it’s insanely narrow in the centre with nowhere to sit and it is absolutely not clean!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Can anyone please explain in easy language why there is such negativity towards a Transport Police system? I hear MM say "not yet", and no positive response at all from any quarter.

Is it the Garda Commissioner or what? Honestly the streets are not policed so I suppose PT is way down the list. Is it budgetary, is it neglect, what is it?

I just don't understand it. Same as I don't understand the lack of police presence anywhere in the city at all. Well that I can see anyway.

Was lucky enough to be in Pisa recently and it was busy as you would expect. There were three sets of Carabinieri in the pedestrianised plaza in front of said tower. One static with a facility to speak to a cop if you had a problem. One cruising up and down very discreetly watching for the usual scrotes at places like this, and a third on foot. I was very impressed. But Italy is corrupt with a new Government every six months right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

It's a webcam of the GPO, but it I suppose it will suffice, At a rooftop distance it may appear that a large amount of the passing trade appear to have spent an excessive amount of time doing the sunbeds, they have'nt. If the webcam had street level audio you might also note that in the cornucopia of accents the english language appears to be somewhat underrepresented.

Just little things like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

There does be some mad yoke outside of there hissing and shaking her voodoo stick.

Strange incantations but she speaks English,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,375 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Transport Police?

The Guards don't want to lose their omnipotence.

^^^^^^^^^^

Are you talking about the woman doing voodoo dances outside the GPO?

As I thought. However, there are Traffic Gardai for example, so why not another subdivision for Public Transport if they are that concerned about their omnipotence, which is obviously much more important than peope's safety. Someone won't allow it, but I am not sure who.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,676 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Saw a few videos of that one, another drain on the welfare system.

She should never have been let off the plane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭mistersifter

I wish Dublin looked like Buenos Aires.

You don't think, looking at that cam that the paving, lighting, foliage & streetscaping is modern? You don't think the GPO, the last great Georgian public building to be erected in the capital is architecturally pleasing? And we've been through the whole "Dublin is filthy" myth already, it's not really, others who don't know the city on this thread spent days on google street view before finding a plastic ban on a street.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭cuttingtimber22

Why?

• poor policing
    • poor local government
    • poor vision

if the local authority has no pride in the city then it is no wonder that no one else does - and it has got a lot worse.

Simple things like replacing street lights, cleaning streets, visible policing, and then look to have ambition…. We get crappy development plans which tell us nothing except lay down rules and regulations but what do they mean to citizens? .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,318 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Anytime I am up in Dublin I see plenty of Gardai about. Yes a Transport police would be great.

Maybe the people should stand up and demand it.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement

Can I ask why you mention street cleaning when most of the cities streets are power washed or cleaned every night?

https://www.dublincity.ie/residential/environment/waste-and-recycling/street-sweeping Here's the street cleaning schedule, click Henry st. for instance. You can also take some pride in your area 😉 and request a clean!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,375 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Its still because of them.

The individual members of AGS have no issue working in the Roads Policing Unit, because its a good gig, lots of overtime, nice cars and bikes to be bouncing around in. The prospect of 8 hours riding the DART or a LUAS doesn't appeal to them, so their representatives just try to kill the idea in the crib.

The Government needs to legislate for it anyway, its what the people demand and its the only way they can get folk to get serious about public transport as a daily alternative, if they feel safe on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭Tonesjones

Full of temporary workers who have followed the multinationals and also spongers who arrive but contribute nothing to society .

No sense of community.

A dirty unfriendly expensive kip

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭ALB2022

Might be easier to move all these threads about where is good, bad or indifferent in Ireland into one with links at the top to Local, National, International statistics, surveys etc.

You'll probably find for Ireland its that things can be better but it's not the worst. The common theme being, but not always the case, is the greater the population the more of everything there is, from crime to amenities. It's just scale.

I think the lack of places of interest or big events (other than scenery for those couple of days a year that we dont get rain!) around Ireland is also just down to scale. For example even though you might have more chance of being a victim of crime in Barcelona over say Belfast, if you were to pick, you would probably visit Barcelona.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

No, I don’t. Many of the buildings are old/historic. It’s not an inherently bad thing, but it’s not modern. Having bus soup and massive, flashing traffic signs on college green isn’t modern, it’s embarrassing.

the GPO is one huge building. It’s impressive, but personally (my own taste) I don’t think it looks that nice. Most of what’s around the city is dark, grey, ugly or even derelict. The skyline is disjointed and not harmonious. It’s pretty ugly.

the docklands are modern and lovely to look at. Others might say the opposite. Leeson Street is gorgeous, but it’s not modern. And even at that it has dereliction on it. You can recognise these things without blindly defending what is, even in the eyes of many tourists, a pretty ugly city.

as for saying it’s clean, we’ll have to agree to disagree. Not sure why you’re trying to say I don’t know the city when I live in it!

There are many stunning modern buildings and modern aspects to Dublin, there are architectural gems throughout it. The GPO is an amazing looking building inside and out. The museum is spectacular.

• Advertisement

Look at Dublins main st…. O’Connell St…the Clearys quarter will hopefully breathe much needed life into the street. But apart from that..

fast food joints

shitty arcades

Coffee shops

phone / laptop repairs…

Spar / Centra

literally nothing to go there for. Half a kilometre of bus / Luas queuing …

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,479 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

O'Connell St is just a place you get buses from, I don't know why people bang on about it, there's no need to ever go there. Reminds me of Oxford St in London, famous street for some reason but it's packed with sh*tty shops on the East side at least.

Oh and it's nothing like Buenos Aires, I was there before and the people look like Italians, not sure what that weirdo poster above is on about but I think he's obsessed with immigrants with darker skin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,260 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Good to see you are still fighting for the cause

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,479 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,260 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Yep. Don't let the bastards grind you down. You see the good in the place that the haters dont want to

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Wise and realistic words of truth. I speak from sad experience... Thank you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭cuttingtimber22

I live in the city centre and have done for pretty much 20 years. I can see with my own eyes dirt and over flowing bins. I can see that street lights are not replaced and when it comes to the obsession with signs and utility boxes, the less said the better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

D.F. is another name for Mexico City.

Or Dublin Four 🙂

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

Sadly true, but unbeknownst to a lot of you (who are obviously infrequent visitors to the capital) if you look past your arcades and phone shops you'll see Daniel O’Connell, Charles Stewart Parnell, Jim Larkin, Theobald Mathew, Sir John Grey, William Smith O’Brien, the Spire and the GPO.

The museum is excellent in the GPO I doubt if any of you have been, you should go, then you can say you saw and did something good on O'Connell st.!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭corner of hells

You will also see an original house in O Connell Street that survived 1916 .

How many years is it now since the Fruit Markets project was mooted? Allowing for Covid, how far along are DCC's plans for that great new quarter that would link nicely to Capel Street? It seems to take forever to get anything achieved in the city, College Green Plaza for example too?

Anyway, I am Dublin born and bred, third generation (the degenerate culchie ancestors were from Wickla). I love the city but don't like it much anymore I'm afraid. There is little to entice a person to do much in there anymore. If anyone has any ideas that might change my mind I'm open and willing to give it a bash.

If ever I go in it is usually to meet up with friends for lunch or coffee. Grand Canal Square is great for that. Tick. The Docklands area in general is good to wander around just to look in awe at the sheer volume of buildings and the architecture of it all. It's not THAT inspiring but for a little city like Dublin it's a nice walk down to the Point or O2 or whatever its current moniker is.

Merrion Square area is pleasant also. Again, the buildings and Georgian architecture. But when you think about it, there is a swathe of similar buildings on the North Side that could be absolutely amazing, but it is not that well maintained or visited. For some reason it is seedy and run down which is an awful shame.

Outdoor dining/drinking/coffee should be the norm. Yes I know the weather is not conducive to that, but there are ways. We could see how much outdoors was used during Covid. And what did we get? Capel Street. Not bad, but a tiny fraction of what could be achieved. Pavement cafes completely change the atmosphere of a street, you can see that wherever you go abroad. Shame about the car parks on Sth William Street and surrounds. That is a disgrace, as it could be so good.

Anyway my apologies for the rant and going on. I just wish people would do one thing in Dublin. Look down when you are walking. See the patched up bits of pavement infilled with tarmacadam, bumpy and temporary (forever). That's one sign of "ah sure it'll do", which doesn't inspire confidence in the running of the city overall. Often it's the little things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭boetstark

Is this Dublin you are talking about , clean , stunning architecture, you are having a laugh.

Ireland must be the dirtiest drab country on earth. Sorry but true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

You just proved the point the poster you are replying to made and you did it admirably

Not things you can go to and interact with and enjoy… looking at statues or the spire won’t really hit the heights and a big post office, hmmm

• Advertisement
Advertisement