Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why is Dublin such a shιtty city?

1212223242527»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

There's no way the city centre is a no go area I cycle thru it every day the only thing that annoys me is maybe some beggar asking you for a euro .I presume New York London Paris has homeless people or junkies in certain areas I think crime has gone down since the 90s but if anything bad happens it.ll be on social media and Irish news websites .

I think it would be better if there were more gardai on patrol especially after 6pm

I don't think there's any city in the eu that's perfect or has no crime or homeless people hanging around certain areas

people hanging around .unless someone's holding a joint in their hand how does one tell if random person is a homeless person or a junkie

Because I feel empathy. Give it a shot. It'll make you less hate filled and miserable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

Example of the scene on OCS...

I was on the Aircoach, stopped at Gresham Hotel,

the baggage doors open, some head grabs a few bags and runs off.

How do you deal with that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,833 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Grafton St is just shops though.

O’Connell St in the 80’s and 90’s was decent Clearys was a really nice centrepiece, a massive departure store with everything .

No problem with homeless people… I do have a problem with drug addicts having been assaulted by one and on another occasion with someone who was also.

so I think scrotebags are an apt way of describing them. As for my character I don’t go around harming people or assaulting them. So what you may class as ‘telling’.. you might want to have a word with yourself.

the fact that many Gardai as I can attest from both assaults in the immediate aftermaths and later are about as useful as a wheelchair with pedals which doesn’t exactly help things for victims or indeed deter scrotebags.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I worked on Prince’s street in the 90s. O’Connell street was boring even then. The traffic and the buses ruined it. Grafton street is far better because it’s pedestrianised.

FYI, real Dubs know Cleary’s was full of culchies. Arnotts was Dubs. Especially the bargain basement if you weren’t well off.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Vita nova

Showing your prejudices there aren't you, calling Dubliners, Dubs, but people from other parts of the country, culchies (syn. of country bumpkin). Considering your defence of the much maligned people of the city centre in this thread, it makes you sound like a hypocrite.

By the way, the name of the store was Clerys not Cleary's, it also had a bargain basement and plenty of more broadminded Dubliners shopped there and were sad to see its closing.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭ALB2022

Some good points made above on ratio of actual incidents v's the number of people frequenting DCC.

There are people who are just not able to cope with cities. They are not used to it and it frightens them.

E.g I would tell my younger sister to enjoy going out in Dublin City and let me know how she got on. However, I would tell my mother in law (blind, 80's, lives outside Dublin and tends to carry a lot of cash) to stop going into DCC for her late night walks (my own mother is fine because she knows Dublin).

Unfortunately, based on recent posts on social media around the OCS area, the brief bounce leading up to and post Prime Time is almost gone.

Again, where isolated incidents are occuring (usually not involving Joe public) the Garda are slow to attend, if at all.

I'll be generous and say there's usually a 5m window around these things. Failure to respond within that timeframe should not be acceptable for such a prominant area. There is something not right with how this area is managed.

As long as this goes on, people who are not familiar with the reality, will create threads saying 'Dublin' (the name used by most people not familiar with Dublin) is a **** no go zone. When, in reality, there are hundreds of thousands of people going about their business this Friday morning, tens of thousands of whom will be out in the City later, hopefully all enjoying themselves. It is the same everywhere else in Ireland, just on a different scale.

Yet the video of a disturbance involving 5 people fighting amongst themselves or with door security, with no Garda available, will be posted on SM, feeding into the perception.

It's a bit like living on a street with a neighbor who has property on it. People on the street throw their rubbish into this part of their neighbor's property who doesn't look after it because its only 1% of their property, but it takes up a large part of the street.

The only time they will look to see what condition it is in is when Barac Obama is coming to stay for a day or 2.

Whilst dealing with their own issues, the other neighbors start to wonder why people think Ireland is perceived poorly by visitors and why we let this part of the street fall into a poor state.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,872 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

It's definitely not a "no-go area". It certainly is a "why would you bother going there area". It is and will be left to whatever stumbles around it, no one cares. Least of all the Dubliners here who defend it. More of a south side man myself anyway.

You’re seriously getting offended by a joke post? Life online must be tough for you.

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Pat Kenny was on about this today. Most seemed to agree that the City Centre was getting worse. A politician on the programme didn't know how many Gardai are on duty on O'Connell St at any one time. Didn't know if it was one or two? Some suggestion that there should be 6 at all times. Evem Pat indicated that he didn't feel comfortable walking there.

There is nothing on the street. It has heaps of potential though. But forget it..

aside from Easons I personally wouldn’t have a single want or need to go there for anything.

in Madrid, Gran Via and Plaza De Espana, Puerta del Sol, all have fûcking tonnes of amenities, nice architecture, easy transport links, well policed etc.

O’Connell street can be hugely improved. But you’re hardly making a fair comparison there.

You’re comparing it to the centre of a city that was once the capital of the largest empire the world had ever seen, up to that time. O’Connell street was bombed flat just over 100 years ago and Dublin is capital of a city that’s been broke from most of its 100 year existence

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,375 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Thats nothing got to do with it.

The reason O'Connell Street and all of the north inner city generally has always so sketchy, is because they are surrounded by crime and drug ridden social housing estates and complexes. The drug dealing and punch ups and intimidation and muggings and shop lifting are entirely down to that and unless that changes, then the environment in that sector of the City Centre won't change.

When it comes to policing though, I wish Helen McEntee would spare us the bullshyt about relaunching these task forces and special operations and just resource an adequate permanent policing model for a busy city centre.

These Garda operations were first launched to much fanfare precisely one year ago, as a response to anti-social issues connected with post Covid reopening and we heard from then Dublin Assistant Commissioner Anne-Marie Cagney that they would be visible and effective and they clearly have failed.

Now AC Angela Willis is being given the job because Cagney retired early. Lets see if she will be any more effective, but I doubt it.

“That’s nothing to do with it”? You think comparing O’Connell street to major areas in Madrid is a fair comparison?

I don’t know how to respond to the rest of that rant to be honest. There’s social houses 200m from Stephen’s Green. Both sides of the Liffey are packed with it.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

Seriously. Wicklow and Duke Street?

I have no idea how you think that, unless you're hiring people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,479 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Yes it's gas, like comparing Cork to beautiful cities with similar populations like Montpellier or Galway to Siena. Ireland isn't as developed as these countries in many ways, quelle surprise.

Developed? How so?

I await with bated breath. Educate me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 761 ✭✭✭GSBellew

Houses where I was born were € 300k+ when we were buying first.

We bought in a cheaper area accordingly as we could not afford there.

We are now moving as we can afford it to where I grew up later on, there is no way on earth our children will be able to afford to buy there straight off, same way my parents 4 children couldn't.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

There is always the possibility that Irish voters might eventually figure out what most European voters figured out a long time ago - that a housing policy based on people taking on huge amounts of debt is a dumb idea and look at actual solutions that might work such as a proper rental sector, active decentralization, a comprehensive public transport system etc… but I would not count on it, the pain needs to get a lot worse before that happens.

Public transport, public facilties, footpaths, roads, traffic management etc. All of these things are light years ahead in places like Spain compared to Ireland, so I don't really see the point in comparing Irish urban areas to Spain or Germany, we have a lot of catching up to do and were never powerful rich empires that built beautiful well managed cities.

For those of you scared to go near the street hopefully this will make you more comfortable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Not nearly enough! One incident and they will all be tied up for ages.

Have you been to these places?

Or just tourists areas? Dublin, Cork, wherever are nowhere near perfect, but taking from your post they aren't backwards.

• Advertisement

I agree with you, I was responding to someone saying Madrid was so amazing compared to Dublin. It has amazing public transport and public squares etc but it also has a full on shanty town and hookers all over Puerto del Sol etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Theres usually 1 or gardai at the gpo, also close to the gpo theres a large garda mobile station , 24,7 ,

in dublin we have luas, dublin bus, and various bike services .most beggars sit on the ground with a cup in front for donations, you can ignore them if you want to . its well known in many citys the services for homeless are very limited , if you are homeless in dublin you ,ll get offered accomodation even if its in a hostel .theres no large area,s in dublin wheres theres 100s of homeless sleeping in tents.

i presume traffic levels have fallen since so many people work from home .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Luas inspectors who will happily fine the PAYE worker who forgot their tax saver ticket (fair n’uff) yet walk past aggressive gougers to check the office worker who looks like they won’t talk back.

Anytime I posted this I get told the gougers are on a free travel pass so point in checking them. Workers are regulars commuters to 5 days a week and yet no hesitation from checkers to walk past gowls and ask for the ticket from the person off to work. Anything for an easy life

The customer charter they display on the Luas is lies

they get paid f**k all, I can't blame them for not wanting to deal with scumbags who haven't paid. Thankfully most people do pay. Unless there was some kind of transport police this will just always be the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭PommieBast

Back in 2019 when I used to take the early-evening Kylemore to Four Courts semi-regularly there was often as not an anti-evasion hit squad and one soon developed a sixth-sense of who was going to be pulled off the train for lack of ticket. Dunno about post-Covid but back then the Luas often had private security teams on it as well.

• Advertisement
Advertisement