Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why is Dublin such a shιtty city?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭LawBoy2018

Whitehall, Glasnevin, Finglas, anywhere around there bar Drumcondra is grim imo, especially if you use public transport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I do agree that tourists must be very disappointed and possibly anxious when in Dublin. I would also encourage them to head SW, W or NW when they arrive.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,833 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

my real life experience is being the victim of an unprovoked attack from behind by one...my head split open... that night in a&e every scum monkey skipping triage Q’s so they be in and out.

my real life experience is being with someone who was the victim of s similar fate but ended up in hospital and required surgery on their jaw / face... an attack from behind, unprovoked after we’d been watching a band and we’re going from one venue to a pub minding our own business.

nobody seeking to do harm to people on that or any similar level can be referred to as ‘unfortunate’..

Ohh and ‘nuke the thread’. .? Yeah brush it under the carpet..good man..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,518 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Finglas is miles away from DCU. The only area near DCU you could possibly have a 'problem' with is Ballymun, and that is a fair bit away from the campus as well. Must try harder.

Not your ornery onager

You're entitled to your opinion and I'm entitled to mine. I wouldn't live in Whitehall even if I were given the house for free

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,833 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

You don’t know the area in fairness..

Whitehall is actually a very desirable and settled area... an older population in the main mixed with some property used as student accommodation for DCU... I’m from not a million miles away and have a friend living in crestfield and family in Lorcan. Never any hassle....

I lived there for a summer and I found it to be terrible. Car alarms going off 24/7, thuggish teens hovering around on their bikes the whole time, not for me personally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,881 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Well Jimmyvik, you were right to skulk off with your tail between your legs when the bets were on. You simply couldn't put your money where you big mouth was!!

Took the kids in to see the lights in the North inner city on Saturday afternoon (the streets that strike fear and anxiety in your heart), we survived. Did some shopping, got extended family & friends some gifts, we survived. Streets were packed, great atmosphere, lots of couples, kids, families, teens, foreigners etc... the usual mix. Went to the GPO (lol at people saying there's no nice buildings in Dublin) posted the Santa letters... Then we headed to KOH in the Italian quarter for food. Excellent food, value and service and we made it out alive.

Spent four and a half hours there and I can assure you we came to no harm, not even a hint of a threat, not a hint of trouble. The only rubbish was a few cigarette buts and two dropped masks, everyone else were using the bins provided. Garda presence was felt, a few walking on Liffey St. and another two on Capel street.

The xmas lights look great and it was good to get in to the city and support local businesses. I sincerely hope you read this and it helps you get over your fear and you can do likewise. Covid has been tough on city retailers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Is he supposed to just take your word for it, or do you have the live satellite images to prove it? 😄

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,622 ✭✭✭maninasia

Except 8 of them in a small area isn't a good thing. If you want one next door to where you live go for it.

• Advertisement

I'd hardly lie and say we were all raped would I?

Well no, but why would anyone take that bet when you can't prove if anything did or didn't happen? Shur you could have been accosted by several junkies. How would we know?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,850 ✭✭✭Lillyfae

Don’t you post some iteration of the above every week? Kids must be delighted traipsing around town all day Saturday.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Based in D2 now but I've lived in D1, D14, D4 and D9 for my sins.. From the West originally though.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I find it very strange that you’re so negative about Whitehall. It’s a grand spot.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

You can talk; as a peddle pushing vegan Dubliner who loves hating on rural one-off housing.

I never felt safe there for some reason. The area where I lived in D1 would have a far worse rep than Whitehall but I never felt unsafe, even when walking home at night.

Yeah, I bring them in a good bit. Not every week, once a month anyway, less so in the summer. They love the city centre, love getting food, trying new eateries and restaurants, love going to the shops, picking up a new pair of kicks with their pocket money, getting a juice in the juice bars, the younger ones love Bamba toy shop... etc.

But that's ok. Parents are allowed do this you know? I want them growing up knowing their city and their country, that's why we holiday all over the Island. Don't want them growing up like some of the clueless mouth breathers on this thread!

Streets were very busy (you should go in and see). Didn't even see one, let alone get accosted by one. (I admit this is unusual, but it was particularly busy)

He didn't take the be cause he knew well, as you knew that I wouldn't be harmed, that the city isn't dangerous and that thousands of people enter and exit the city without coming to any harm.

• Advertisement

You're missing the point. Nobody is going to take a bet like that. It would be like me saying, I bet you 50 euro I won't hit any potholes on the way to work tomorrow. I can't prove whether I did or not, unless I had a film crew following me.

OK... I guess I have to level with you Mister Vain and get down to brass tacks to make you see the point!

This is after hours, an Internet forum. I didn't think he'd take the bet, there was no bet, money was never going to change hands. But I know he'd abandon his insistence that "Dublin is too dangerous to walk around" when he realised I'm from the area he's talking about and that I frequently visit it & am more familiar with it. He also knew nothing was going to happen to me or my family even though we were going to spend hours in and around an area he's insisting is a no-go area.

Even though I've no evidence, you know I wasn't harmed, don't you? You're not going rain man on me and insist that you need evidence?

Even though I've no evidence, he also knows my kids, my wife and I were left unharmed too.

Shouldn't be surprised I had to explain this.

Yeah I believe you, but so what? It was one day out for an anonymous internet user. It doesn't prove anything. You're the one who brought it up and then went and quoted your own post on it.

You believe me. Dublin is safe city to visit or live in. Point proven, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 colombes

No Paris is perfect 🙃 Unfortunately, you are right. I just went back last Oct, first time since covid started two years ago and all the tents in the streets... It was very sad to see. Now, honestly, I live in Ireland since the last 15 years (loving it🤩) but I never understood the big fuss about Dublin city. I like to visit on a week-end max but otherwise there is nothing special to do or to see that you feel like seeing again and again inside the city. Plus in the "good areas" people are so up their nose. Unbelievable, we pay tax mostly for Dublin benefit and still wait for a decent motorway between Limerick and Cork since ages.....

• Advertisement

No. The cities wipe their own faces, anything in the city is paid by the city, the rest floods out of the cities to support other areas. Even property tax in urban areas goes out of the locality to further enhance other parts of the country.

Sure, the way LPT is managed....you need a PHD to fully get how it works and when you finally manage to reach them by phone you have each time a different answer because they have no clue themselves! Don't get me wrong, I love Ireland, I just don't understand how we cannot built a proper motorway between two major cities. Is it what they call rural?? Is everything outside Dublin considered rural? I don't understand either how we do not have to pay for water and get in exchange proper quality water without contamination and without leaks all over the place. But the cherry on the cake is the health system, 60euros for a GP visit who anyway will send you to a "consultant" waiting list for months you have the time to die 10 times or your kid to turn an adult. But of course, if you have the good network everything is possible then. And then we wonder why AE is overcrowded, maybe because people cannot afford another way? Sorry for ranting, completely out of context.

No, I mentioned Cities and Urban areas in my post.

There's life outside the pale!! There's more cities and lots of urban areas outside Dublin.

• Dublin is generally fine. One thing I wish they would really sort out is the litter ! Would love to see visible litter pickers be it private or council workers cleaning the suburbs !!

Yeah, like those DCC lads you see all over Dublin in those visible street scrubber machines that picks up the litter.

• Advertisement

• @John_Rambo I have never seen any DCC litter pickers outside of Dublin City centre. If you read my post I said suburbs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Greyfox

There is, it's just you have to get use to having a lot less choice of things to do. Some like it, some would hate living outside Dublin

What suburb do you live in that needs litter pickers? In most suburban areas what little litter there is looked after by the community or ends up in the gutters to be (unfortunately) washed to the sea or picked up by street scrubbers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

I dont think anyone whos ever been in the city center is listening to you anymore tbh. Dont know why you are so triggered by people describing Dublin accurately. You are always along to point out the odds nice thing as try to use that as evidence that there are more prevalent than the bad things in Dublin.

Yes everyone agrees that most of Dublin is nice, but get real here, most parts of the city center and a fair few parts around it are kips. It is not a place to hold up as an example of a nice city. Thats the point. Yes we all go to the city center and have food and pints and have a good time, but we have all seen the sh!t things that go on in Dublin. Well all of us except you.

You can vbe damned sure he saw Junkies if he was walking around Dublin city center to be fair. But they dont fit his narrative.

Has anyone ever walked around Dublin city center and not seen the junkies. I think not. Unless their name is Rambo :)

So we all go to the city center and have food and pints and have a good time? Well, someones listening to me because last week it was too dangerous to visit!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,479 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

There are addicts in Cork and Limerick too, does that make them awful places? Addiction is a nationwide issue.

For what it's worth, if I go to my office on Baggot St on my bike or on the Dart, and walk around that area and Stephen's Green/Grafton St etc, I never really see anything bad (this is within your 3km radius of awfulness by the way). Some parts of the city centre have more visible problems, big deal.

All of the problems you see in Dublin exist all over the country, just on a smaller scale, it doesn't make the whole country a sh*thole though, not to me anyway.

We're not Vienna or Stockholm, we never will be, all urban areas in the country could be vastly improved, but any issues you see in Dublin are just a reflection of the country as a whole and happen nationwide. The Dublin hate is kind of a form of self loathing I think.

Jasus lads, just because other places have problems doesnt mean Dublin doesnt have problems. Get over it. Dublin has issues. Not all of it, but certainly the city center.

Well I think "Why is Ireland such a sh*tty country?" might be a better discussion given we have all the same problems nationwide just on different scales.

• Advertisement

Why is Ireland/Dublin such a **** place? Because of decades of mismanagement, lack of investment in areas required, focus on cars instead of public transport, lack of decent social services, lack of policing, complete disregard for proper urban and rural planning nationwide, parish pump politics, mismanagement of funds, NIMBYism, etc.

Despite of all this, Ireland and Dublin are relatively good places to live, compared with most of the world.

You don't think there's drug abuse and addiction all over the country? You're displaying as much ignorance about Ireland as you are of your capital city. Almost as unbelievable as your trolly-dash museum trips.

Did noone ever tell you two cheerleaders that burying your head in the sand when there is a problem doesnt solve the problem?

You are like two children sticking their fingers in their ears going "I cant hear you, i cant hear you" and then saying "Well, what about x, y and z?"

But carry on. I'll sit back and watch in silence for a while, because you cant reason with that sort of carry on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Imagine being scared walking around Whitehall and Santry... 😂

It's hardly Darndale...

From that area and lived there for 3/4 of my life on and off and it's fairly gentrified sought after place to live...

I lived rurally in North Dublin for a decade and never had any issues...

Some of the poor petals on here do be terrified to leave the bubble of where they are from...

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭TobyHolmes

Dublin city centre definitely has issues which have been exasperated since pandemic but dublin county and ireland itself is really beautiful. change your mind set. use the city for work and explore elsewhere. if you live right in city centre i can understand you being sick of it especially with the previous lockdowns etc. so why not move out of the city and then only travel in when you need to. the world is your oyster and you have choices.

I think silence is your best option at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭TobyHolmes

also there is urban decay across many of the world's cities- that I think is a more interesting proposition. then saying why is dublin so crappy - and the response other cities are too. the fact is that cities are declining all over the world and there are reasons for that.

Bizarre, I wish I could afford to have bought a place in Whitehall, very close to town, the airport, Drumcondra etc. The snowflakes on this thread ffs.

What are you talking about, I have acknowledged that Dublin has issues, the same issues the rest of the country has. I just find it weird that country folk like to use these issues as a stick to beat Dublin with, when these are nationwide problems, not just Dublin problems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭HBC08

Advertisement