Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why is Dublin such a shιtty city?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Why does that actually matter?

Netherlands, Portugal and Greece.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭corner of hells

I worked in Merchants Quay , I'm a social care worker , there's no pool table, a food service is provided, soup , sandwich and tea.

Amongst its services are primary health care (medical , dental , mental health, needle exchange etc) .

It's not run by ex addicts , it will employ ex addicts or people in recovery if they meet the criteria for employment. They don't discriminate.

I'm not an ex addict.

Look at you with your facts and knowledge and everything.

Better than the misinformed bollix that's usually posted in these threads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭thefallingman

Not really Corner, i've been there too for work, and as you say they hire ex junkies and junkies in recovery, ie junkies, and they get free food and needles, yet leave all their bloody needles in the grass area opposite the primary school out the back of it. Yeah it's a lovely place.

Ex junkies and junkies in recovery?

Says it all .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,881 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

No it's not a kip and the GAA supporters are only up on match days and while they make a mess and cause a lot of litter it's cleaned up immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭parc

I was wondering about this recently after a trip to Prague and Budapest. Both really are something else. But why is Dublin was so architecturally mundane?

Then it got me thinking about other capital cities. Lisbon, Madrid, Vienna, Edinburgh etc. All beautiful cities (although Lisbon has its social problems).

Tbh I've been to regional cities in Europe that are way nicer than Dublin. Barcelona, Valencia, San Sebastian, Montpellier, Bordeaux etc.

Then I thought about the spike in O'Connell street and it genuinely bummed me out.

I thought it may be a colonial thing, but I don't think that's the case. Lots of central European countries didn't get their wealth from colonialism, but their cities have a real wow factor to them. A lot of them are poorer today than Dublin. And you could probably argue that Dublin was within a colonial empire for a long period of time.

I think the only other capital city that is a bit meh in terms of architecture is Berlin. I'm not sure I agree with your point on Dublin going through wars though. A lot of European cities suffered in the WW2 but were restored in an amazing way (e.g. Budapest comes to mind)

Do you or anyone else have any info on why Dublin's architecture isn't great? Lack of money as you mentioned, but was it underfunded by Britain? Brain drain of good architects maybe?

Post edited by parc on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Dunmoreroader

Ha ha, Just coz you say it don't make it so. It's a city, founded by the Vikings 75 years before Dublin, city charter from King John, 1 of 5 County boroughs I.e. cities) under the various Local Government of Ireland Acts (Dublin, Cork, Limerick, Galway, Waterford).

City. Fact.

• Advertisement

Nobody on this thread is denying there's problems and we all realise that the city needs to retain some of the money it sends to other areas of the country, this has been said on the thread already. The obesity problem is nationwide and worse in rural areas.

Some people tackle the elephant in the room straight on instead of just talking about it... and volunteer at a youth level in the inner city. I can confidently say myself and three other volunteers have changed the path of hundreds of kids by our actions, the legacy of the group remains and runs, there's other groups that have done better.

So, instead of the keyboard warfare, the wringing hands & the virtue signalling would you be prepared to improve the city in any way?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,676 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I'd be interested to see the stats that back up your claim obesity in Ireland is more common in rural areas.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I'd reckon Parc a huge part of it was it was a tiny town. For most of her history Dublin was the south side and well within the current canals. I mean the South Circular Road was started as a ring road in the 18th century and stayed that way well into the late 19th. My own mother told me of dairy farms in the area when she was a child. It was also off the beaten track of European art and architecture. Insular Irish art had peaked in the early medieval and her architecture was mostly ecclesiastical then and throughout the medieval. Or Norman defensive. Britain remember even with her much larger population and more wealth over time was an art an architecture backwater for the most part too. North and western Europe was a long way from southern Europe and the Italians as far as depth of culture in that sorta thing went. Nobody talks about the "English Renaissance" or the Swedish or Norwegian for that matter. That started to change after the Restoration in England where local born guys after initially copying continental artists and architects found wealthy clients who wanted to patronise them and in time an English art and architecture developed(it also brought Dutch influence on the back of their Dutch royalty). Even then Georgian Architecture which we see both here and in the UK was directly influenced by Italian a century or so after the fact.

So Dublin was a backwater attached to a backwater who blossomed later on and spread some of that here with our Georgian streets(though there was also some Dutch stuff here before it now sadly gone or hidden). That Georgian stuff hit when there was a wealthy class emerging here and it basically tore down and built over much of what had been earlier timber Tudor style stuff. Again the city was so small so may as well. IIRC the same South Circular Road had one Tudor era wooden left standing until the 50's?

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Lol... "wonderful".. so much sneer in one post! Do you find the GAA "self serving and ineffective" or Scouting Ireland, one of the largest youth organisations in Ireland? The thousands of soccer coaches, rugby couches that volunteer & give their time over? Do you think the capuchin centre & soup kitchens are self serving and ineffective?

You honestly find it "hard to imagine" that without these efforts from people that things would be much worse? You need to step back from the keyboard and try and take a pulse of the nation because right now you're betraying yourself as part of a sniggering underclass that hasn't a notion what goes on.

PM me if you want to get involved, I'll send you in the right direction.

Post edited by John_Rambo on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,479 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

It's not just Dublin though. Dublin has some beautiful parts in the centre and some not so nice, but urban areas in general in Ireland aren't great if you compare to Europe. Our towns and villages are mostly ugly and depressing. That's why I never get all the Dublin hate from the rest of Ireland, it's not like our other cities are any better, just smaller with less options and worse weather.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭saabsaab

I say that most people would agree that Cork is better than Dublin.

There is even a book about it!

I've said this before , " the best thing to come out of Cork was Michael Collins and sure yiz shot him".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Expense, expense, expense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

Formally it is a city, with a charter. It isn't really though. It is a fine spot, but unemployment is high in the southeast and in Waterford itself there seems a lot of vacant premises.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 392 ✭✭Rustyman101

It's actually the oldest city in Ireland, has it problems no doubt, could do with more tech,med device & pharma jobs, oh and a bit of recognition from central government that it actually exists but like it or not its recognised in Ireland as a city.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,483 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Fup off back to the bog OP.

This topic reminds me of that bell-end on Quora that said he lived in Dublin for a year and can only remember it not raining on three days in the entire year he blessed us all with his presence.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

No shortage of keyboard warriors here. If you had any experience you'd know that results are high on the list and are achieved every day. Do not have any high achieving kids connected to your peer group, no athletes, sports achievers, Chief Scouts Awards recipients?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,612 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Because it's full of Dubs ?

I am talking about sports clubs and scout groups because that's what I'm involved in and that's what you were "wonderfully" sneering at.

Regarding the rubbish? It's a city, in cities there's rubbish because there's lots of people, lots of events, lots of locals, lots of visitors, lots of sports, lots of things going on. It's the same in New York, London, Paris... Where there are no people there is no rubbish.

Now, you're scraping the barrel at this stage, it's Christmas Eve, you're sitting at your computer scoffing, sneering, pissing & moaning with nothing good to say about anything or anyone. I suggest you take yourself a way from the internet and the negativity it brings out in you and talk to some real people. Enjoy..

Nobody knows who shot him! Probably a British agent.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

ha? It’s was one of the IRA lads who ambushed the convoy. They just never shared who. My gran uncle was a lookout on the day, one among many. He never so much as shared an opinion about it.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

Even as I type this there are 1000s and 1000s of parents piling millions of €s worth of presents under elaborately decorated Christmas trees. For many of them all this was paid for with a combination of SW payments and money borrowed from money lenders.

Its time to accept that patting people who already have no self respect on the head and reassuring them that they need never aspire to anything more then this is preventing them from having any ambition to improve their situation.

What suggestions do any of you have about how this can change?

IMO we need to put huge amounts of investment into identifying children who are coming from homes where education is not important, and quite literally create situations in the classrooms where they are receiving one to one speciality attention.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,270 ✭✭✭jj880

I lived in Dublin for a year in 2001. Best years craic ever. Zanzibar, Fireworks, Tramco and many other great spots.

Been back a few times recently. Just doesn't compare. Im sure that's true of towns / cities all over the country but its a shame because Dublin was a diamond of a city back then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

The housing charities love placing homeless people and former addicts 25 minutes from Grafton St. If these chancers had jobs they couldn't afford to live in Dublin.

I work for a homeless service , I love when one of mine gets housed.

• Advertisement

Is the agency housing first?

Your second paragraph is anecdotal, particularly when you suggest it's a greater plan to lower values of properties and rent.

Your third paragraph starts with "I heard "..more anecdotal quotes.

How do you know the Gardai and a housing association are involved ?

When anybody is housed from homeless services an agency called SLI is involved, with particularly chaotic individuals, housing first may be involved especially if certain criteria are reached e.g. historical entrenched rough sleeping and chaotic drug use with a view to providing holistic support covering everything from mental health, physical health , budgeting, living skills and so on.

If its a housing association involved , the individuals may not be as chaotic but might need a significant level of support and may be deemed never capable of living independently.

To be housed as a couple with DCC, you must be registered as a couple , it's not possible to pretend because you will have a history of looking to access accommodation as a couple.

Gardai generally don't get involved, unless there's significant criminal activity.

If anything Gardai are becoming more and more thinking seeing the benefits of having people housed , particularly if they are chaotic rather than having them homeless.

I

Is this whole scenario a handy anecdote or a true story that has affected you personally?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

Of course they won't comment. These do-gooder idiots think they're doing a great job housing junkies in private accommodation next to people who've slaved all their lives for a property. The closer to the city centre the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭MyLove4Satan

The lack of an Dublin Airport Rail link is very easy to explain.

CIE wanted and planned one in 1973. Every single political party - up to the very present - never built it. But constantly gave it different names. MetroNorth, MetroLink, DartInterconnector, DART Underground all of which resulted in Irish politicians refusing to build any renamed version of it. Even when they had the money. Added to this a certain element of the Irish Establishment who thinks Manchester (Not the Greater Part) is bigger than Ireland (because Big Jack said so 35 years ago) and anyway only mega cities have Underground Rail. When there are cities the size of Cork all over europe with underground rail systems.

Mind you, I have to laugh at tossers now wanting it, as for years they were the 'buses are enough' vanguards of lore.

Then finally, there is the Dublin NIMBYS who put every obstacle in front of a rail link to the airport only for them to arrive in Amsterdam, Lisbon, Barcelona, EVERYWHERE by plane and get directly onto a train and going. 'Jaysus, this is deadly, we should have this in Dublin'. Having forgotten that they went to war against the idea because the tabloids coached them to fret over 'the little children losing their GAA pitch for a couple of years!'

In fact the reason why Dublin Airport has no rail link is a kind of Irish socio-cultural Hermetic concept of 'As Above, So Below' - being that it is a microcosm of everything wrong about Ireland.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40773486.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,710 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I’d like to disagree here, but the whole fooking post is spot on!!

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭mary 2021

Why is dublin a **** city well they do say "import the third world become the third world" so i would say the new irish have turned it into a **** machete city "!!

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭mary 2021

Walsh b you are more than likely living in Dalkey then !! :)

• Advertisement

Why O why would the state promote the continued living of families in public housing in inner city Dublin that are involved in repeat criminality?

I am not having a go at those on Welfare at all. Those involved in criminal activitys should be moved well outside the capital and replaced by the law abiding. This may be called punishment by some but no it is sensible policy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭HBC08

I expect you're not an idiot, I've seen your posts on here before and you seem like a reasonable, well balanced (as much as one can tell on boards poster!)

I'm sure you can't go into too much detail about your work,however I would find it pretty shìtty to be living in Dublin paying 2k rent or similar and having a disruptive group of dolers,knacks,unsociable neighbours etc next door,I think that's just kinda human nature? Am I wrong in this?

As it stands I own my own house in a big West of Ireland town, we have council houses all round,generally not a problem.The medical students generally cause more havoc with their 3 times yearly blowout (they get a small bit of leeway but know not to push it.We have had issues with a few who moved in (not council,but p1ssheads and dealers) they were gotten rid of by knowing owners,cops,rental agencies ie people we'd been to school with or were friends.

I wouldn't like to be in that situation in Dublin with "chaotic" as you call them tenants.I wouldnt like having a "chaotic" tenant next to me...... would you? Answer honestly and that's the real test...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,479 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Cork is a small city with the same problems Dublin has though. It's not particularly aesthetically pleasing either, it rains a lot more, and there's far less to do than Dublin. Terrible traffic and no public transport. I don't know how you can say it's a better city than Dublin. I actually like it but could never live there. One of my best friends is from Douglas and lives in Blackrock in Dublin now and always has said he would never move back to Cork as it has nothing on Dublin.

I just find it mad that those outside of Dublin think the rest of the country is in some way better.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Nevin Parsnipp

Of course there is rubbish in every city Pal...but the point the OP was making is that there is more...a lot more...rubbish in Dublin than is generally found in other capital cities.

I have visited and worked in a lot of European cities and all would be cleaner and safer than Dublin...and I have yet to see any European City with more visable feral lowlifes and junkies than in our fair capital.

Why do they allow the Luas Red Line to become almost a no go area after 7pm in the evening ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Dublin in general is a very safe city to live in. Im regularly on the luas red line after 7pm and have never witnessed a serious crime on it.

I would love to see more done to deal with junkies and scumbags but this is Ireland and Ireland will always be a soft touch when it comes to crime.

There isn't a lot more rubbish in Dublin than other European cities, that's a myth, Rome, Athens & Paris are way worse. Who told you the Luas red line was a no go area?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Drugs and lower social classes ruin Dublin.

I can't understand how lower social classes can live anywhere near the CC.

Do their rents not go up like for everyone else where one has to relocate to be able to survive

Is it the case the lower social classes have been given council houses where they are immune from rent increases?

I suspect what I'm suggesting is correct and something has to be done about it. It's not fair.

You have working people living outside of Dublin city for lower rents, travel into the city for work, but people who don't work at all live near the CC. That is an outrageous situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,640 ✭✭✭Hamachi

Dublin has its issues like any sizeable city. That comes with the territory.

Today, my family and I went for a long drive, covering most of coastal Dublin and into North Wicklow. We started in Malahide and finished in Greystones.

Honestly, the entire drive was stunning. We passed through mile after mile of beautiful neighborhoods. Malahide is gorgeous, Portmarnock has the beach, Howth is incredibly scenic, Raheny has a fantastic amenity in St Anne’s park, Clontarf has beautiful homes. And on and on...

Each neighborhood has its own individual character and and all were filled with people out enjoying the day. Couples with babies, teenagers, elderly people. Not a feral scumbag in sight.

Of course, there are plenty of not so desirable neighborhoods in Dublin. In fact, I’m not particularly fond of my own West Dublin abode and the drive today has strengthened the resolve of my wife and I to make a change in the coming year. However, it’s indisputable that there are countless wonderful places to live in Dublin and on a sunny day, it must be one of the most scenic capital cities in Europe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

He lives here because it still gives him a better life than the places he tells tourists to visit.

Advertisement