Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Gas Central Heating] daily avg uses over the last 7 days

• 30-11-2021 11:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭

Hi all, last week was quite freezing with real feel reaching -8c for multiple times and I was wondering what was your daily avg uses of gas in m3.

Mine was 4m3 per day. it would cost me e170 in 60 days.

House details:

- 3 zone system (hot water, upstairs and downstairs)

- Heating upstairs in the morning (working from home) and downstairs in the evening

- heating the hot tank water twice a day

- end of terrace house in a windy corner and BER B3

- avg temp in the house when the heating is on: 18c (Nest)

Post edited by Domicio on

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,233 ✭✭✭10-10-20

May I ask, how are you reading the volume of gas on such a regular basis? I have a newer meter which I would have to manually read.

I checked my bill online and I see that they reckon that my average daily usage is 28.9kW/day, which equates to about 2.5 units per day.

I have a 4-bed detached, three bathrooms, with no BER cert. All rads have digital TRV's, we heat the 300l water tank once and we're retro-fitting new glazing and installing insulated plasterboard in some rooms.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,292 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Domicio

I manually read the meter, which it's outside of my house

It sounds to me quite high to be a 12 months avg. What is your house avg?

Good point - it's a yearly average, but I only moved to a new supplier 2 months ago, so it's an average for that period of mid Sept to mid November. Hardly interesting as I wasn't using the heating until ~3 weeks ago.

Considering that your avg uses for the last 60 days (mid Sept to Mid Nov), we would roughly have:

2.5m3 x 60 days = 150m3 used

Heater was turned on 3 ~weeks (21 days) ago, then we have:

150m3 / 21 days = 7.14m3 used per day

Please note it is a rough calculation

Post edited by Domicio on

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 168 ✭✭serox_21

Mine was similar - 4m3 per day.

House details:

- 4 zone system (hot water, upstairs, downstairs, attic)

- Heating on all the time with a temp between 19.5(night time downstairs) - 21.5(night time bedrooms), 20.5 during daytime downstairs and upstairs. Attic is turned on during working hours( temp between 19-20)

- heating the hot tank water twice a day(30min in the morning, 1h in the evening). Evening time cylinder thermostat will cut off before 1h. Temp set to 60.

- end of terrace house C2 (with extra improvements not included in BER value, triple glazed windows, front and back doors upgraded, 30cm insulation above attic ceiling, stove installed in place of open fireplace, fully zoned)

- avg temp in the house across full day : 20 for downstairs and bedrooms.

P.S. there is a stove in the living room which is light up from time to time(evening time, 3-4 days a week)

Downstairs thermostat span 0.25

Bedrooms thermostat span 0.5

Attic thermostat span 0.5

Cylinder thermostat span unknown(mechanical thermostat)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭John.G

My oil consumption for the past 7 days , converted to gas equivalent was ~ 9.2 M3/day, boiler is 16 year non condensing so reasonable to assume that had I had a condensing gas boiler then gas consumption ~ 8.1 M3/day. Whole house heating on 17 hours/day, no fancy controls but 8 TRVs.

Your house will easily be a B2 with the triple glazed windows. I wish I had the $$ to upgrade mines from double to triple glazed as well.

Totally fair avg. consumption to have the whole house heated 17h/day.

The prices in Ireland for upgrading windows to triple glazed are huge. Another option is to shop from Europe.

The only difference is that my windows are opening on the inside instead of how is standard in Ireland/UK(opening on the outside)

• Advertisement

After reading my meters to submit for new bill my gas average usage per day(5th Oct - 5th Dev) is 2mc/day

includes

cooking

hot water

heating(more usage in the last 2 weeks, but boiler was firing daily, at least once or twice)

great update!

mine was in avg. 1.42m3/daily over the same period as yours.

Hot water and heating (high usage stared around the 15th of Nov. when the heater system started to be on more often).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

Old thread I know but a cool thread. I am BER rating A2 semi D at 28m3 for heating and hot water.

Advertisement