Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Exchange in Pandora

• 30-11-2021 12:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭

So here's my problem, my daughter got a Pandora ring as a gift for Christmas last year, unfortunately the band has broken, and she has no receipt. Now its not a standard band, it seems to be made of little balls, and breaking is a known issue with them, but she loves it and didn't want a different ring which she was originally offered by the first store.

So I returned it to my local Pandora store, who informed me that not having a receipt was not an issue as that style of ring is less than a year old, so clearly in warranty. However, they had not got here size in stock. I had the same issue with Henry street branch and one of the Grafton Street branch's, but all agreed on the exchange policy.

Now my issue arises with the additional Grafton street store, who had the size but refused to exchange due to no receipt. After explaining to the store assistant about the conversation with the other 3 branch's, she said how could I prove it wasn't "stolen" and if I could get the person who bought it for her to even produce a "Bank Statement" , I just walked out of the shop.

Has anybody any recommendations on what I can do here? I was thinking of walking back into that store buying a new ring and returning the old one for a refund just to piss that one off!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Ok, the shop should never ever intimate in any way that "it could be stolen"

I'd make a very strong complaint about such an insinuation. And don't they keep their way overpriced tat behind counters?

They are correct that a proof of purchase should be shown. A card statement or online transaction is sufficient. But the other store should have called them and gave advance notice.

I'd look to speak with a manager and state your disappointment at the insinuation that it could be stolen, it's not something you want leveled at you.

I reckon they will be very quick at rectifying the issue.

Darc there is a reason why refunds only go back onto the card used to purchase retail items, this is no different. The shops can use their discretion and it is a fair point, without a receipt or something to show the op was the purchaser, there is no proof that the op is either the owner nor the purchaser. I really don’t see why the op had an issue, if she has proof of purchase like a receipt/bank statement etc, just show it, if she hasn’t, then that is unfortunate but no need for the drama.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭mumo3

My issue is the bank statement wont indicate what was purchased, just that a purchase was made in the store!! I bought a number of charms in the store at Christmas, so if there was an issue with any one of them, my statement wont indicate an individual price to link to that charm. I just was a bit miffed by the produce a statement comment. And as stated above their jewellery is all kept in locked cabinets, so a bit difficult to be lifting items from any of their stores.

The bank statement should be enough, I doubt they were suggesting you robbed the store, rather that you may not be the purchaser/ the bracelet belongs to someone else.

Absolutely, but it gives an indication.

However no shop or shop employee should ever intimate theft in any way whatsoever in such circumstance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,768 ✭✭✭Xterminator

There is a world of difference between a store employee saying

"show me proof of purchase, how do i know you didnt steal that item", and "store policy requires proof of purchase for refunds, as the policy deters stealing'.

The latter is a simple statement of fact, the former poor customer service. If OP felt accused (and one assumes they did) perhaps it was badly handled by the customer service rep.

I wouldn't go as far as saying she accused me directly of stealing it, she just insinuated it with her tone and her comment. What got under my skin was the bank statement comment, not just because of her tone, or the fact that I had already informed her it was a gift, but because I had asked my local branch to take my details and call me when the item came back into stock, and they said due to GDPR they couldn't take my details and leave them lying around as they didn't have a system for storing information like that (fair point I suppose), but GDPR went out the window when this one wanted me to show her bank statements. I get the policy of proof of payment, I honestly do, and had I have been told that at the start I would have said fair enough, but to be told by four different stores, the item is only a new design so its clearly within warranty and fine to change due to damage. I'm not looking for my money back or even a different item, I want to exact same item, same size, I still have the box it's not like I found it on the street or smashed the glass and stole it!! I get I'm being a bit dramatic and I need to just get over it. But I also fancied a bit of a rant and thank you for entertaining that 😁

Sometimes it’s good to rant, but you are doing Pandora a disservice. Asking for proof of purchase has nothing to do with GDPR, this would be far less of a drama if you just brought in your bank statement.

It's not my bank statement, it was a gift and I explained that to her!! They either have a policy of proof of purchase or they don't!! But its clearly going to be annoying being sent from Henry street to two stores on Grafton street , to be told by the last one, well the other 3 stores shouldn't have told you its ok to change it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭Uncle Pierre

Have to say I'm wondering if this could be handled in a different way altogether.

I had an issue last year with an electrical item bought here in Wexford. When I sought a replacement under warranty, the local shop said they didn't have any in stock, but they found that their Waterford store had them all right, and said they'd have one sent up from there for me.

Obviously I don't know how Pandora operate but is an option for your local shop to contact that Grafton Street one, say they need item XYZ, and ask Grafton Street to send it to them?

• Advertisement

It appears they do have a policy, which to be fair most shops have, that you show a receipt/proof of purchase. There is nothing untoward or unusual about that.

Christ, I absolutely hate people who mention gdpr when they have zero clue what it is.

You were giving the details for that purpose, once you had no issue with them having those details there is no gdpr issue whatsoever.

Phenomenal bad service from a shop that sells overpriced tat.

Advertisement