Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worrying buzz

Options
  • 30-11-2021 2:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,460 ✭✭✭✭

So, some of my usb ports stopped 2orking the other day. No big deal as there are other controllers with enough ports to go around, but this morning I noticed a clicky buzz from the front of the machine that continues after shutdown. When I plug out the machine it takes a bit for the clicking to stop. I plan to try and isolate the source of the clicking but what are people's thoughts, should I replace components or try and live with it? Is there likely to be some kind of catastrophic failure?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,300 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

USB ports normally have a tiny surface mount fuse, and this failing is a common reason for USB ports to seemingly die suddenly. They may have blown legitimately though.

The buzzing sound could be coil whine. Combined with the USB ports blowing, it suggests something, presumably power related, is failing in the board.

How old is the board?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,460 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

It's not new, maybe three years. Very hard to pinpoint the exact source of the buzz, its possible that it's not new and I'm just hearing it now because I was looking for a cause for the dead ports. I double checked it wasn't anything as simple as a fan and the buzz isn't coming directly from the psu. I don't have a wealth of compatible spares to go switching bits in and out to isolate the problem. This noise is going to eat at me until I find the cause, but it's much clicker a noise compared to the high pitched coil whine I've heard. It's also not the clicking of a drive.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,300 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

A clicking noise could be something discharging though. Maybe it's just bias confirmation now that you're aware of it, but it's a worrying combination with the USB ports failing.

Advertisement