Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**** Starfield ****

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Huh? I don't think its really comparable whatsoever.  CD Projekt Red were releasing mad videos and content years before Cyberpunk 2077 actually released building up serious hype and letting on that it was a generation changing masterclass. Then the actual game dropped and it was a messy pile of shite and was a far cry from what was promised in terms of gameplay. The whole Keanu Reeves hype building exercise was ridiculous too.

Bethesda have been relatively shy about sharing content around Starfield until really late in its development. The hype came from the community because it's a Bethesda game.

Anyway, pre-loading has begun for anyone who has it purchased via Steam.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,476 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Early word is that the game is not buggy at all.

That's why it was delayed. Microsoft definitely need and want this to knock it out of the park and after Redfall I just think there is now was this will release as a buggy mess.

I'm very curious about tomorrow but one thing is clear is that Sony fanboys are really hating on the game because it's not on their platform and that's really sad.

Sony Exclusives Good, Xbox Exclusives bad.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

I preinstalled on game pass PC but from past experience with games i really enjoy i ended up buying on steam so i could own.

Im wondering will any game pass PC progress be saved for if and when i buy it on steam or elsewhere, maybe we will need a bethesda account thus the possibility of saving progress.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

AFAIK transferring saves over depends on the title. I was able to transfer my save file for Hi-Fi Rush from GamePass to Steam by following a guide, but it will likely depend on how the save files for Starfield work.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,743 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Read this earlier and laughed out loud

"The level of discourse around Starfield is already unbearable. In the middle you have the majority of gamers: people I assume like you, who are excited to see a big single-player RPG coming to Xbox. Then you have the two warring sides, consisting of PlayStation fanboys who are campaigning against the game at every turn, and smug Xbox elitists who are handling the situation with all the grace of a hurried crap in a service station toilet."

https://www.gamingbible.com/news/starfields-metacritic-score-divides-fans-844563-20230830

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Well, Imagine Dragons have a song for Starfield, that sounds like a bad Eurovision tune ...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

At least we can all - no matter our biases, preferences and backgrounds - come together and condemn the existence of Imagine Dragons 😎

It starts with the Starfield music which is epic and then the song launches in ... with the worst lyrics ever. My god, they didn't even try. I think the song was written with ChatGPT 1.0. 😁

How much did MS give them for that ?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,178 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I liked their Arcane song and I won't apologise for it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Hah, his doubling down is just as ridiculous. "So is it a sim now?" when people mention you can't walk on a gas giant in real life 🤣

I remember an Ian Banks novel where there were super intelligent ancient and brutal aliens inhabiting gas giants ... My point ... probably will be in this game too ... so maybe you can still traverse gas giants but ... not by walking.

Saw online they the reason that Eurogamer and other websites did not get a review code is that Bethesda/Microsoft do not want ex employees of website Kotaku to have game access as they were involved with a Fallout 4 leak before launch.

It’s not a sign of the game being poor etc.

Post edited by murpho999 on

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,352 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

That's a better reason I suppose, but it's still weird. Why not just specifically call out that one guy? Instead of saying DF can have it, but no one else, just say everyone can have it except this guys team? Still weird, still childish, imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭TheAnalyst_

Bollocks.

It's to pad their metacritic score for sales on day one.

They have it to eurogamer an hour after they posted about it, 2 days before release.

One reviewer has broke on twitter and says its not great.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Which doesnt explain why the Guardian, metrogamecentral or edge magazine. They've nothing to do with Kotaku or reedpop. I'm sorry but I don't buy it at all.

Keza McDonald - games editor of The Guardian - speculated her past role in Kotaku may have played a part in being denied a copy, which is a reasonable assumption if you're looking for reasons why you're being singled out. But again given so many outlets were impacted it seems extremely unlikely that they're singling out Kotaku alums. Hell, most US sites like Polygon and IGN are full of Kotaku alums so that's definitely not it. Even if it was that, it would be a remarkably petty thing to blocklist anyone who'd ever been affiliated with a single publication a decade ago.

It's definitely a UK-centric decision one way or the other - whether it's a bizarre regional blocklist or a more insidious move to block out outlets seen as potentially more 'critical' is a whole other question that we might get a partial answer to tomorrow. Regardless of the motivation, the optics are appalling, and it was a spectacularly dumb and frankly indefensible move from Bethesda.

Kind of explains why the Guardian coverage has been so good, always been a fan of Keza when they were with Eurogamer.

Any reviewer who did that is stupid and will get sued for breach of NDA, care to link?

I have never seen a game wanted to fail by so many people before Strange.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭brady12

Why are you so against it when you havnt played it? I hope its good because im off friday :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,040 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I haven't seen anyone straight out say they hope the game fails, but I've seen plenty of relevant worries due to Bethesda track record. I personally don't understand why people would be ok with a buggy mess at launch because "that's just Bethesda", and the PC seem happy because someone will eventually add mods to make it more enjoyable. The buggy mess at launch is possibly not an issue if reports are to be believed.

I hope it's good too, but I also have my expectations set. If it's GOTY material, I'll be pleasantly surprised. But I still hold that 30fps as a no-deal, regardless of whatever else is has. Will find out next week. I do want it to be good, and MS needs it to be good.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,573 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

This is it. Buggy messes were charming 12 years ago when Skyrim came out; it was part of the Bethesda brand really, all the way back to Morrowind - but times change. As I said TotK was a technical miracle and in the 100s of hours I've put into the game, I haven't had a single bug or technical glitch - and it running a totally customisable physics engine? Yeah, getting shot into space cos a giant hit you with a club just rings sloppy now.

I wonder is there a "tech debt" ticket to migrate the Bethesda engine to something else, some cabal of developers endlessly promised that the next game, they swear, they'll change the engine

They need to be held accountable. Bad development needs to be punished. I want a decent elder scrolls game and it looks like that will never happen again due to the crap they keep pushing out.

Starfield might turn that corner and you can thank people like me that have been on their lazy case since fallout 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

Ye guys are absolutely killing my hype for this 😞 loved Morrowind, oblivion, Skyrim and the fallouts, hopefully this is the same, only real blemish in Bethesda's history of RPGs is 86 imo, sure the games can be buggy but there huge and with so many variables and systems.

Yup, TOTK's physics are ridiculously good. And on a little device. This is the most incredible programming achievement in modern gaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,059 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭DarkJager21

It's a product, buy it or don't. They don't owe you anything.

Look at red dead 2. Nearly give years out now and with a level of polish and depth that you expect now from a major AAA game b

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,352 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

That's a bad example, as many people think RDR 2 is a terrible game, myself included.

Advertisement