Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**** Starfield ****

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Thanks I didn't even know that was a thing. I was just blasting at them when I was near them. I will have to have a look at this VATS style setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭DarkJager21

I started with the Bounty Hunter background so think I have it by default but it's deadly handy to get. It's also the only way to disables ship for boarding instead of outright destroying it

Edit: It's called Targetting Control Systems and should be a tier 1 perk in Ship or Piloting branch (can't remember what it's called)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,004 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭brady12

Carry limit very annoying alright . Iv dabbled out side new atlantis a bit but loving side missions and activities too much to push on from there properly yet.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,950 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

I think there is also a weapon you can have on your ship that disables rather than destroys. The things this game doesn't tell you (or I miss). I was trying to make my first jump in the ship and it was telling me the grav drive had no power. Trying to increase the power did nothing until I realised you need to free up power by reducing it elsewhere. It's a nice mechanic just took me a while to twig it. I also got bogged down on New Atlantis doing all sorts of miscellaneous quests before continuing the main mission. Probably a bad idea.

One bug. Sarah was perpetually in the "Are you ready to set off" mode during that mission where you are stuck with her so I couldn't ask her to carry some of my stuff making the inventory management a pain in the proverbial. Once the mission was complete she went back to normal thankfully.

If any Trek fans picked the kids stuff trait then you should recognise your mother :)

• Advertisement

so I couldn't ask her to carry some of my stuff 

Thanks for that for what ever reason I totally forgot to get them to carry anything. I used to do that in all the Bethesda games but totally forgot about it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,950 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Blimey just realised both your parents are Star Trek alumni. I'm only 50% a Trekkie.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,866 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Alanah Pearce flew to Pluto to see if you needed fast travel. It took 7 hours. 😄

Unfortunately when she got there she flew inside the planet. So you still have to use the "travel" feature to load in the planet to land.

But I'm sure this could be updated to load in the back ground.

The ship building is a lot less costly than I'd assumed, spent about 30k on the frontier and totally changed the look of it with some added extra firepower. Next thing I need is shielded cargo modules but they can't be bought from the reputable ship techs

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,573 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

How do the ships handle? Bethesda's engine has never been able to "do" vehicles as even mods struggle to work with the janky physics and engine structure. While Space Exploration/Combat is a genre well served, many games having a good sense of handling & "flight". Just curious then whether Bethesda managed to make the flying satisfying & haave a good feel

• Advertisement

Really well, it's generally not hard to keep track of whatever threat you are fighting. The actual turning or thrust of the ship gets further improved by perks and what parts you add to the ship.

There's depth to the fighting aspect of as well as you need to manage power levels across engines, shields, laser, ballistics etc from a set amount of tokens. So removing power from engines to boost shields, or whacking the lasers up to max to melt through enemy ship shields before swinging the ballistics to max to tear through them.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Don't think i'll be playing this on my current pc anyway, game stutters like crazy when loading any new assets. My CPU isn't up to scratch it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭MillField

Anybody else order Starfield from Smyths? I got an email this morning saying it had dispatched. Will get it a day early all going to plan!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Im hoping the game has plenty of combat ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭rizzla

13 hours in, the game firmly has it's hooks in me. When I'm not playing it, I'm thinking about playing it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,397 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Last night I got my second ship. I stole it off bandits after killing them all. I'm about 10 or 11 hours in and loving it but still learning. I don't know much about combat in the ship apart from the fact I keep getting blown up and eventually jump into another safe place rather than stay fighting the other ships. They usually out number me and I haven't upgraded any parts on the ship yet which I think I better start doing to survive better.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Whats your specs?

Didnt think mine would either but its giving me 45-60 fps @ 1080 native on medium.

Ryzen 7 1700 / 6600xt 16gb ram.

For those who have reached the Lodge:

There's a seriously good spacesuit locked in a Master level cabinet down in the basement area where the crafting benches are. If you stand a small bit back from it, and trace your view slowly up over the right hinge you should get an option that says Mannequin (Open) - interact with it and you can steal the suit without even opening the lock 🤣

• Advertisement

Encountered a bug where I was suddenly headless and frozen. After 8 seconds it un froze and I had a head again. Happened 10 mins later and it stuck that time . So I reloaded previous 3 autosaves and every time I loaded no matter where I was my view was side ways or upside down in first person and there was no fixing it game broken...luckily loading manual saves and fingers crossed im ok again. Flashbacks of losing a lot of progress in fallout 4 with game breaking bug that nearly broke my heart 10ish years ago or whatever it was!

Which hinge is it I'm trying here but cannot get mannequin open?

Got it and it wasn't a hinge that description part through me off.

Thanks for that hint.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

i5 4700k and a gtx1070. Has managed everything so far, but the stuttering was terrible on this earlier. Will try again bumping it down a bit later and try again though.

Definitely time to upgrade my rig...to the pc building forum!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,448 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

I'm having a lot of fun on Akila as a ranger.

That's the main campaign gone for the next while. I'm busy as a space ranger and bounty hunter on a lawless planet

All Eyes On Rafah

That's what I should have done. As I just got asked to smuggle illegal stuff for someone to make lots of credits. I have no idea how the hell I would even hide them considering I keep getting scanned trying to go some where.

Also I'm shít at fighting with my ship. I have no idea what I am doing and keep getting blown up as there is usually two or three of them. I'm suppose to repair satellites but enemy ships keep appearing. I went back to town to see about getting upgrades and I'm ashamed to say I have no idea what the hell I am doing regarding upgrades. I bought two upgrades but it still does not help me in fighting so again I left that mission for another time.

Ok i'm in trouble happened again.

Just play in FP mode and you would never know. You never know you might never get hit in the head. 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

I'm running a Geforce GTX 2070 Super and i had to switch everything down to Low...I think I need an upgrade now too.

• Advertisement

When you are fighting in space first make sure you have the right stuff powered up (shields up and divert most of your weapon energy to LAS and BAL). Use A to cycle the targets, this will lock on to them one by one. Find the bright red arrow and chase towards it, you should be able to centre them in your view. You'll see a Locking status bar at the bottom (if you have targeting control perk) once that's full press X.

You'll gets VATS style view of the enemy with different labels you can cycle through. Target SHD first and hammer right trigger, these are lasers and will break the shield (white line below enemy health bar). When they are gone, use Left trigger for ballistics which will damage the ship (just keep hammering this if you don't care about destroying them, otherwise target the ENG and destroy it - this will allow to board the ship if you want to). Y can also be used with LT as this should be rockets, both do physical damage.

So prioritise one, get the above done as fast as you can and then repeat with a new target.

P.s contraband needs to be smuggled in a shielded cargo module to avoid the scans. Looking for one of these myself at the moment :D

Advertisement