Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**** Starfield ****

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,448 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Love working for the FreeStar Collective, getting real Firefly/Serenty vibes from it.

🎸Take my love, take my land,

Take me where I cannot stand.

I don't care, I'm still free,

You can't take the sky from me.

Take me out to the black,

Tell them I ain't comin back.

Burn the land and boil the sea,

You can't take the sky from me.

There's no place, I can be,

Since I've found Serenity.

And you can't take the sky from me.🎻

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I'm 22 hours in and I have no idea where the time went. It doesn't feel like I have played it 22 hours.

Glad to see the negativity has finally died down here.

As for my views, I'm a big fan of Bethesda games but I was slightly wary going into this as there were a number of weaknesses in their games that seemed to get worse with each release. Mostly around story and quests as well as a lack of depth in gameplay sometimes.

Starfield feels like they took all that criticism and said "fück you, we'll make the perfect Bethesda game then". They've basically addressed all of these issues I've mentioned.

It's an incredible experience and I've barely scratched the surface of it after 30 hours. I pick up the controller and suddenly six hours have passed. And I've only visited maybe 5 star systems....

I'm completely lost in the automation of outpost building for now, making extractors that feed into machines that make products, that can be automated to make more products that can then be automated to be delivered to a storage facility on another planet, where other resources are extracted and it just goes on and on... I just keep digging and the depth in this one optional side activity gets deeper and deeper. It's insane. Roleplaying as a mining/refinery/factory owner essentially and it's like it's own game, completely separate to everything else going on.

It's bordering on a life simulator.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭brady12

Base building so addictive but nothing is explained . Any one find a good guide any place on it ? They could have done with a thorough in game guide in menus .

• Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Game only went full release today, it’ll be a while before the guides and wikis are up. I purposely haven’t gone near the outpost building side of things at all. I’m going to work through a few of the early quests first, collect a few more artefacts, upgrade my ship etc then I’ll start other stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,352 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Digital Foundry had their say on the lack of UK review copies, and they are definitely not happy with the way that Eurogamer phrased that article. Talk about how it doesn't have any context, how DF is a separate organisation, how they enquired about it themselves, about how they have different contacts and different PR routes.

Definitely get the impression that they were more than slightly annoyed at being brought into a controversy that they didn't think was actually a controversy.

Comments on it at around 32 minutes in.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,059 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Yes. You insert the disc and it immediately says you need an update, which is just under 80 GB if memory serves.

Well if the key is around 26 GB in size, then that might be all that's on it. ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭DarkJager21

Brilliant clap back from them, I genuinely didn't realise DF were a seperate entity from Eurogamer.

At this stage a Eurogamer review is irrelevant anyway. Maybe they can throw a full on strop and just pretend it doesn't exist like Hogwarts Legacy. Joke of a site.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭TheAnalyst_

Tried to install it today but it says no space, I bought the extra hard drive (internal storage) but it refuses to install to it. Anyone have experience with that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

Your really going to play it after all the nonsense you spouted here since last Thursday??? Does this mean we are going to have to listen to all your insights on how bad it is?

• Advertisement

Haha, Bethesda probably banned you from installing it when they heard about all the grief you gave the game before launch.

Make sure your new hard drive is formatted and appears in my computer prior to installation.

If it's a PC, free up enough space on the main drive by moving something else to the new drive so it can install where it want's to.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,866 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

The voyage begins :)

Looking forward to getting into this. I'm on the fence about starting it as I'm halfway through Immortals of Aveum which is good fun. but I feel this is a different pace to that so will be nice to hop over and back for a refresh.

What error is it giving you when you try to install it? You're probably going to have to delete something off the internal storage to get it down

Storage full delete stuff. But I have a second SSD that it should install to. One of the proper xbox accessories. Some games are installed on it but starfield refuses.

Oh there's no hopping in and out of this, once it gets in to your veins that's it 🤣

Hmm that's a weird one. Try changing the install location to the external drive maybe? Settings - system - Storage Devices - Change Install Location

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

Does the Xbox give you an option to install to a different drive? You said other games have installed on it but Starfield won't? Maybe make more space on the new drive and try again.

Out of interest, why are you playing this? You seemed to absolutely hate everything about it a week ago, just curious?

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭MillField

My copy arrived from Smyths today. Heads up to anyone waiting - download the game to your console first and it'll be ready to go once you pop in the disc.

• Advertisement

Annoying after paying a load for the extra storage space. Going to have to delete games I don't want to delete.

Its free on game pass so why not. I suspect it will be like my 10 hour fallout 4 adventure but who knows.

SOLVED

Ok the intial 300MB file was installed to my internal drive on xbox. Because of that it refused to install the 100GB to a different drive. Fixed by moving the initial install files via the game options function.

Well same thing applies, move stuff to the new drive as I'm pretty sure Starfield is one of the games that must be on the internal drive as it needs the speed. I was moving Watchdogs Legion and got a warning it wouldn't be playable from the external drive. No doubt Cyberpunk is probably another internal only.

No there are two types of drive. External USB drives are not for games but you can get external SSDs that behave the same as the internal drive connected via some other port.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

I've Fallout 4 to really get into, because of the dog to be honest 😁. But I think I'll skip it, as that world is too depressing to spend a long time in. Looks like it'll be Skyrim - Starfield for me. But there is a free next gen update coming out for F4 ...

Time to do the backlog shuffle ...

The guardian review is very positive. A bad user onboarding is dragging down the experience, which is a shame, as these are not technically challenging issues for Bethesda to sort out.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,573 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Bethesda's tutorials have always been a bit ... not great. Not terrible but always felt a little lacking something to help guide the players better. Might just be be, obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

If you didn’t like Fallout 4 you probably won’t like this and it starts off very slow. Even if you don’t think you’re enjoying it I’d give ten hours at a minimum before making up your mind.

Is anybody playing this "in the cloud" on GamePass Ultimate XCloud ?

Is it supported ?

Might be an option for people who don't own a suitable PC or XBox and have a decent broadband connection.

Just get a month of GamePass.

But be warned, your milage may vary despite what broadband speeds you have.

I did give Skyrim a go on XCloud and it was Ok for exploring but just not the same as on the local XBox ... at all.. but I think my b band connection is crappy for streaming games.

Anyway, playing this "day 1" on my Series X ....or at least at the weekend when I get some time..😁😁

Their games are sandboxes (especially this game), it's kind of hard to tutorialise it.

The opening hour or so teaches you following:

- How to move, mine, do combat

- How to fly the ship and do combat

- How to travel to another planet

- How lockpicking works

- How the persuasion system works

- How to travel to another star system

And if you talk to Vasco your robot at this stage, he will offer to show you how to setup an outpost. But this is optional.

From that point on, Bethesda basically says you're free to do what you want. But any time a new system is used, like the ship builder, you do get pop up messages explaining the basics.

I've been playing since early access so if anyone needs help, let me know.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

StarUI, similar to the almost mandatory SkyUI mod for Skyrim, has been released. Highly recommended for anyone on PC.

Advertisement