Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**** Starfield ****

Options

Comments

SkyUI is brilliant if you have a mouse and keyboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,675 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Tried to do this today on my Xbox One but haven't got it working. Doesn't seem to be the option when I go to the game in store or game pass app

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,573 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

That mod is low key one of the great mods out there, for any game really. Nothing flashy but a refinement that put order to chaos.

I have a recommendation after playing for a few days now. Don't use fast travel to get around. Once you have discovered a location, it's possible to fast travel back to it using the star map, so you can basically teleport from one planet to another if you choose.

However, if you do this you will miss out on the encounters in space and those are some of the best things you'll experience in the game.

So when you're on a planet, get on your ship, sit in the cockpit, take off, then in space use the scanner to select your next system in the HUD (no need for menu hopping), then travel to your location and so on.

This game rewards you for taking your time. Don't teleport everywhere or you'll miss half of the game.

Yeah it's really excellent. I think the UI works well for controllers, but it must be a right pain for keyboard/mouse users.

The mods for this game are going to be epic. So much potential.

• Advertisement

I have another handy tip for inventory space. If you're within the same zone as your ship, you can access and transfer stuff to its cargo remotely. Go into the menu, go to the bottom left to select your ship and press the button for Cargo Hold.

This logic also applies for outpost building. If your ship is within range you can use the resources in the ships cargo to build, no need to retrieve it to your personal inventory. Same is also true for outdoor resource containers at outposts. Storing resources in personal containers at outposts doesn't work like this, it has to be the large outdoor containers or your ship.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Have you managed to build any outposts or started mining? What’s the best way to earn credits early on?

I built two outposts so far. I have automated mining some resources and manufacturing of goods but it's a lot of work and investment in skills and research to pull it off, it's very in depth. I'm far from that making me rich but it definitely can be done.

A good way to make early money is to do bounties and missions, do quests or by surveying planets and Star systems.

When you survey a planet you get a data slate that you can sell. I surveyed the entire Sol system and I probably made about 50k+ from that alone. Bring your mining tool with you as you go and you can gather resources while you do it. The resources will help with setting up your outpost. If you are going to do this I'd recommend adding cargo space to your ship using ship builder. You will need about 900 units of space to be comfortable.

The Sol system is easy to survey because there's no flora or fauna to scan, just scan the planet from space, then land and scan a few minerals. Easy money.

Finally, if you follow my above advice about not fast traveling you will encounter ships in space that need saving from pirate attacks and they reward you for saving them. I'd recommend upgrading the Frontier a little for combat, just better shields, power and lasers. It should cost less than 10k to do this. You can loot ships you destroy too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

Had preloaded it on steam so tried to start it up at 1am last night, but it needed some sort of installation, 4% into that I decided to leave it run and go to sleep.

Played for about an hour this morning before leaving for work. Looks good, but I will need to buy a new GPU. I built my computer about 2 years ago but the only thing I didn't buy new was a gpu, just used my gtx 970 from previous computer. That card has stood the test of time and certainly owes me nothingat this stage, even managed to cope with cyberpunk and BG3, but has finally met it's match in this game. Was getting some severe lag spikes/freezes.

Will order a rtx 4060 this evening from amazon when I get home. Is the game cpu heavy or GPU heavy anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,476 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Why are people still buying discs instead of just subbing to Gamepass or downloading digitally?

Just don't get it, apart from resale value, which I don't bother with and I'm not concerned with this "ownership" thing people say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,989 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

As an exclusive PS5 user, the fomo is real reading this thread.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Disc versions are often substantially cheaper than digital versions - can easily save 10-15 quid on a new release by buying a disc version. Often vastly preferable for those who don't want to pay into subscription services.

And for a lot of people, ownership is vitally important both practically and ideologically. I'm very much on the pro-preservation side, and the reality is that physical copies are in many cases the only way to easily play games released as recently as a console gen or two ago. It may not be important to you, but there are very real benefits to physical ownership - even though some AAA discs today are glorified download codes, there are others where the game on disc will be much more reliable in the future than the server whims of large corporations. Everyone loses if physical copies disappear entirely IMO.

The game is mostly CPU-heavy, so that may be the more substantial sticking point. Though the 970 is definitely showing its age these days, and is a few rungs below the minimum specs here.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Disc versions are often substantially cheaper than digital versions

Which makes no **** sense 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 28,476 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Ok,in this case it's €69.99 in Smyths?

Then as you say , it only acts as a key and you have to download the game anyway?

Everything is personal but much prefer the convenience of digital library and not having clutter of discs and cases at home.

Switching games much easier too.

Also, when I subscribe to Gamepass it just feels free (I get a lot of free Gamepass due to MS rewards) and this game will always be on Gamepass so don't see the need for ownership

Anyhow, as you say everyone to their own.

I'm looking forward to starting up Starfield after work today.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,866 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Constantly over encumbered in fallout 3.

Constantly over encumbered in fallout 4

Ten mins into Starfield

Do I pick up that cup?

Course I do 😂

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

€69.99 is a tenner cheaper than buying a digital copy. I know a lot of people on games forums tend to use regional workarounds etc... to get cheaper copies, but for the average person who doesn't dabble in that it's cheaper to get the game on disc than digitally - even if it doesn't make sense that that's the case :) And for people who don't play more than a game or two a year a subscription service is a much more expensive ongoing commitment than just buying the game outright.

I have no doubt this game will be on GamePass for a long time to come, but you just need to look at some of the shenanigans around TV/film subscription services dumping their first-party content into the abyss to see the drawbacks of 'no ownership' media consumption. Granted, hopefully that won't happen here, and there's no indication that it will. But we've seen, for example, Forza games (as recently as Forza Horizon 3 and Forza Motorsport 7) being pulled entirely from GamePass / digital storefronts and becoming unplayable unless you have the disc or already own a digital copy.

To be clear: I have no problem with digital, and have most of my games digitally too these days (and often it's the only way to get them). I'll try this on GamePass. But I still buy physical copies of some games too, and will continue to do so as long as that's an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,059 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Apart from being cheaper, it also installs slightly faster as the 26 or so GB on the disc copies 3-4 times faster than the update over fibre at a max for me of 150 Mbps.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭feargantae

Anyone else dealing with near constant crashing on Series X? It's wrecking my head.

Uninstalled it and playing it on Cloud now and it works great but the 1080p stream is such a step down from 4K!

I've experienced two crashes in about 30 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Touches wood. I have been playing for over 22 hours on Xbox SX without any crashes.

• Advertisement

And this is why I always appreciate having written reviews from the likes of Rock, Paper, Shotgun - witty yet informative, critical yet open-minded.

LOL at this: "A future where we still use big chunky spacesuits and strap into our spaceship pilot chairs with the kind of seatbelts you get on Ryanair rather than the pneumatic safety bars on Alton Towers' Nemesis"

• Registered Users Posts: 12,448 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Just a reminder to the folks getting their space boots today.

Do the first three or four campaign levels first. Game really opens up and it will be more rewarding for you.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

I like the NASA punk aesthetic in this game. I think that + the soundtrack is enough for me to be invested. 😁 This game + the new Forza Motorsport next month + GamePass + Series S|X is a very compelling product for a lot of people for "the holiday season". I'd imagine MS will have a series S + couple months GamePass for less than 250 this Xmas, i.e. the older SS with 512 GB storage.

All of the issues I've experienced with the game including the crashes have been with outpost building. Given how complex it can get I understand why there might be bugs but I'm hoping these are bugs that will get patched eventually.

Everything else with the game has been a really smooth and bug free experience. I'm honestly surprised with how bug free it has been, bar the outpost stuff. That extra year they took to release really paid off. You'd have to wonder if Microsoft didn't buy them would their previous owners had afforded them that extra year. I doubt it, considering how rushed Fallout 76 was. The previous owners didn't give a toss, by the looks of it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Easily one of the worst performing games ive ever played for average visuals its ridiculous.

Anyways if anyone is struggling on it might be worth trying out some custom presets, makes a difference for my rig 8600K & 1080ti.

Im geting 40-65 outdoors @ 1440P and 60-85 indoors with the "optimized balance" custom preset.

https://www.reddit.com/r/pcgaming/comments/168zi06/starfield_optimized_settings/

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Ive been playing it "in the cloud" on the Steam Deck - works surprisingly good. Syncs with my gaming pc that I ordered the game on through the Xbox app.

Great hopping from the pc to the deck and continuing on from where you left off.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Wow, that's a pretty great user experience. Must see if it's improved for me. Will try it on a Mac browser and natively on Series X.

Runs great on Series X natively. It's locked at 30 fps but I don't really notice it even though I always choose performance mode is most games.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

You do need decent wifi - Mines a a 5 ghz network but its working well on the 2.4ghz network aswell-small bit of pop in on the 2.4 - I have both here set up with a mesh system.So far so good its working everywhere in the house in the cloud.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

20 hours in on Series X and no crashes thankfully - relying on quick resume so much, I haven't even been saving that much.

Still not clicking with me massively and I think I figured out why - everything feels so unconnected. In Skyrim you're left with this massive world to go explore as you like and it feels like a big inter-connected place. Starfield on the other hand is more a collection of different areas tied together by a string. I know that's going to be the nature of a big space game but everything just feels a little big disjointed.

You pick up a mission and rather than hoping on a horse to travel across this land that feels like a consistent world, you instead click on a waypoint, fast-travel, click again if your engines aren't big enough for the jump and then click on the place you're going to. It just makes the whole thing feel a bit disjointed.

Advertisement