Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**** Starfield ****

Options

Comments

Killer app is so 2013. Get game pass, play games, have fun, stop moaning.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Ok, Sorry! Starfield thread.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Red fall will keep me busy till then 😎

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Playstation fanboys acting like the Xbox has no killer apps as if ninja gaiden black at 4K backwards compatibility isn't better than anything Sony have produced in the last 15 years 😎

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

Got all excited thinking it was June....... Would have had plenty of time over the summer to play it, **** September.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,121 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

My first child is due in early June so I don't think I'd have got round to playing it til September anyway 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

I am not a ps fanboy. Got a ps only recently due to FOMO. Just a bit disappointed that MS have the hardware (SX) but not the software to really show it off. I hate all this exclusives and different but same hardware shite. Awful waste of so much resources (human and natural).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Oh I wasn't aiming that at anyone and was just joking. What I wasn't joking about was ninja gaiden. Just thought some one needed to remind people that ninja gaiden black is absolute **** incredible.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

• Advertisement

PS have some great games no doubt about it. I bought a PS4 Just to play the exclusives and got 3rd person open world fatigue and sold it as it was just gathering dust. This is their business model. Sel consoles through clever marketing of exclusive titles. It's a model that has had its day imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,476 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

The narrative that Xbox has no games is just tiresome. There's tons of them Many on Gamepass and there's a strong release road-map ahead.

What difference does it make? Do you think having games on multiple platforms makes them worse games? Or that having games exclusive to a console makes them better games? It's all marketing hype, generating FOMO to make people buy their consoles.

If people were arguing that Xbox Game Studios doesn't have any games it would make more sense. But arguing that the Xbox console.doesn't have any games is just utter trolling.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭Greyfox

FOMO will always be a factor when buying hardware and the fact is Microsoft haven't produced as many great exclusives as Sony and Nintendo have. This fact doesn't bother me as gamepass is superb value and you get Microsoft exclusives like Forza and Starfield for free. In an ideal world we would all have a PC and all the consoles but it's hard to justify owning everything so each individual needs to decide on what system they can live without.

Makes a lot difference actually, exclusives are what sells console and Microsoft haven't delivered on that front, playstation have.

I think saying Sony has great exclusives is overselling it a bit. Compared to previous gens they are really feck all exclusives on playstation in comparison even if you ignore pc as a platform. A lot of their games follow the generic Ubisoft formula as well so your mileage will vary if you like those games.

In a way Sony and their studios have become more like Nintendo on their struggling consoles being the only one providing exclusives games which means the output has slowed down.

Microsoft really need to both up their output to Sony levels but also do more interesting games. I like gears but not has a lot has changed, 434 has mismanaged halo so badly, Forza is still incredible but Sony really caught up to motorsport with Gran Turismo 7. Horizon is still way ahead of the competition there.

I just wish Sony made more interesting exclusives like Nintendo do. They used to until the PS4. I'd love to see naughty dog try their hand at something more interesting, not a fan of Horizon but Guerilla came along so much due to the creative control they were given.

Although they did make legend of dragoon which negates any goodwill from all the masterpieces they created.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,097 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Can you tell me how many Sony exclusives are in the Top 5/10 sold and most played games of PS5 so far?

Edit: my guess would be FIFA, COD, Fortnite, GTA, Apex Legends, Minecraft and possibly NBA/NFL.

Sony did release their own stats last year so I'll try find them again.

Exclusives are a nice have but the vast majority of console buyers pick console based in what their friends have and whether it has Fortnite, FIFA and COD.

Post edited by TitianGerm on

Sony has always used their internal studios to create games to fill niches that broaden their user base. While they aren't as successful as they were with the PS1 and 2 they are doing a better job of it than Microsoft. It's not about sales of exclusives (which by the way are pretty damn high regardless), the exclusives are there to get as many consoles into peoples houses as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭McFly85

Not sure I agree with that. The biggest titles like FIFA and CoD are cross play now, so exclusives would be a significant factor for me if I had to pick one.

Sony weirdly could fall into a similar trap to Microsoft if they’re not careful. They were very successful with the PS4 in getting new franchises like Spider-Man, Boodborne and a rebooted God of War but the PS5, Returnal aside, feels a lot like a reliance on existing franchises, which is fine so long as there’s some genuinely new stuff to play too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

So this release's around the same time as baldurs gate 3 right 🤦

• Registered Users Posts: 9,348 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

Just came across this video review. Might give you something to do while you wait. Looks good for a single developer game and might scratch the itch of people waiting for the delayed Starfield.

youtube.com/watch?v=MdlOG5XjKKY

• Registered Users Posts: 12,447 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Holy fcuk, one lad did that where Star Citizen have failed over 10 years. Its incredibly janky and obviously flawed. But so much potential.

That game could be his CV for a studio to scoop him out.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 7,917 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

• Registered Users Posts: 11,959 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

The new Starfield controller might look like this:

If it does look like it, I will definitely get one.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,040 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Do you have more controllers than games?

Was only thinking about this game last night. It needs to be good. I think there's a lot riding on it from a MS/Gamepass point of view. I am avoiding most things to do with it as I find games are better if you don't spoil yourself. Will have to pick up one of those Wingman yokes though, can't see myself doing hours sessions with the Xbox controller.

Is that real? It looks more like a pride month controller.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,917 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

It's using the Starfield colour scheme alright. Not a fan of the gold D-pad.

The showcase next week will be very interesting (although probably not worth watching if you want to go in blind)... there's still lots we don't know about the game that I'd need to see first, but definitely agree on how important it is to MS/XB.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,040 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I was tempted, but I still think I'll go in blind. The game will be dissected after the showcase, but I'll be interested to hear general feedback on it.

• Advertisement

I need to watch the showcase to break my own preconceptions of the game. I just can't help thinking a mining game where you get to go to thousands of planets can be anything other than procedurally generated planets from a list of 10 templated planets. Get ore from an ore type planet, get gold from a gold type planet etc. A water planet, a lava planet, a desert planet repeat x1000.

It sounds really tedious, but I could probably live with that (I mean what else can I realistically expect) if the core mechanics of the game are good. It needs a good trading system and to somehow integrate a good story to keep me captivated once the novelty of everything wears off.

Advertisement