Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Re warrenty on washing machine and dryer

• 30-11-2021 9:39pm

In the last two days we are unfortunate to have both dryer and washing machine pack up...the are both under warranty as I bought extended warranty for both but the latest Harvey Normans say someone can call out is after Christmas..I have four kids and one has special needs ..is this fair ? What can I do ?

Post edited by Boards.ie: Niamh on

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,608 ✭✭✭✭elperello

In the short term you may have to rely on launderette service.

You have rights under the 1980 Act -

Contact HN and tell them you are taking a case in The Small Claims Court.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Very poor advice. Very very poor.

Bullsh1t a company with bullsh1t and they will rightfully tell you to eff off.

Do you know how long the scc takes? - 6 months.

You threaten this type of utter sh1te and HN will simply defend it and will almost certainly win as they have fully 100% complied with their obligations.

Only way is to try and see if they can put you on an urgent list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,608 ✭✭✭✭elperello

OK you are entitled to your opinion, no need for the dramatics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Maybe put the fault up in the home appliance forum and someone might be able to diagnose it.

Sometimes it's a very simple issue such as needing to drain off a filter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,516 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I'd start having a look at the terms and conditions of the extended warranty you purchased from them, over a month can hardly be seen as a fair amount of time to wait for someone to look at it.

Have you had a look at this...

If your product is a washer or dryer, Product Care will cover up to €50 for laundry expenses if your product is out of service for more than 10 days from the time you notify us of the fault. Please see Terms and Conditions for full details: PC booklet.pdf

https://www.harveynorman.ie/customer-services/product-care.html

• Advertisement

Everyone in the county can't be having breakdowns ...I thought maby a week and someone would call out..maby I'll have to buy new ones , which I don't really want to do being so close to Christmas...gutted

Thanks Atlantic dawn...that's very interesting to read ..never new...I think I'll call hn manager tommorow morning and quote the terms and conditions of a delayed fix ofan applience.thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,157 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

If the engineer is booked up till the new year then you can't change this fact.

I see three options.

Option one:

Take the appointment for free repair for January & in the meantime Use a laundry service. Many filling stations & shopping centres have washing machines and dryer.

Option two

Engage the services of a private repair engineer

Option three

Buy a new washer and dryer.

At a later stage you can go down the road of the small claims court & hope the judge thinks that engineer should have gotten to you sooner. We are still in the middle of a pandemic & there is no guarantee that a judge will think this is too long to wait. You need to read the small print of warranty that you bought. Wouldn't surprise me that there is a pandemic clause allowing longer wait times.

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭The Red Ace

You have rang HN and they tell you it will be after Christmas, ring them back and find out who is the Irish distributor of your machines assuming both are same make, then ring the distributors service division and tell them of your dilemma and how you have a child with special needs. I wouldn’t advise getting in an Indo to repair it as it might invalidate the guarantee. BTW what is wrong with the washer and td

• Advertisement

The extra warrenty was with bright side and they game me a store credit with Harvey Normans for 279 euro after Abit of persuading...however there are no 299 euro candy machines in stock and the tumble dryers are up around 430 so the credit was Abit short...however I picked up a candy for 299 in the soundstore and still have the 279 credit in hn to send within three months..the machine kept tripping the trip switch when it was turned on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭The Red Ace

I haven’t heard of bright side in my neck of the woods so assuming they are an insurance company who contract to Hoover/Candy it might be worth contacting Hoover @0818200021 and see if they can help. Your machine has either a faulty heater element or wash motor I would think from your fault description

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

we are unfortunate to have both dryer and washing machine pack up

If both packed up at/near the same time, I'd question the socket they were plugged into. Have you tried running an extension cord from another part of the house, to see if the problem is electrical?

I've got a credit at Harvey Normans now and had to buy another one in curry's as Harveys were sold out of the candy ones..I've carted the broken one off to the repair shop myself and it will do as a spare if they can fix it.

• could always throw the repaired one on adverts and at least make a few quid back off it? Same idea for the credit note someone might buy it for say €250 if they’re after something in HN.

maybe don’t tell them the story how you came to acquire it though. 😂

Believe me I nearly threw my back out trying to put it in car..drive twenty km ..paid 30 euro up front to repair man and haven't heard a thing yet from him...it could be the motor in that case it will have to be recycled.....

My big beef with the insurance crowd was they couldn't send out someone to repair it because they were prioritizing fridges over Christmas...in other words they were up the walls and a fridge was more important than a dryer over Christmas....she was not in my shoes though.

• Extended warranty is often a bit of a farce anyway, never could be bothered as the crowds running it are seemingly always “very busy” and you’re waiting ages on repair.

+ the few times I did have a warranty repair (within standard warranty) they send some lad out to you, but you then have to wait for parts.. once my washing machine went within warranty, took a week for your man to come out, to inform me he has to order parts and he’ll be back in 6 weeks. 😂

Advertisement