Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I solder these metals together (pics inside)?

Options
  • 01-12-2021 6:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Recently, the water arm that partially runs along the back of the dishwasher has broke free which means it comes away from the back wall when the top tray(which it docks in to, for the upper spray head) is pulled out.

After looking at it, the weld between the metal bracket and the back wall is broke.

I do not know what material the metals are. It is a Bosch dishwasher.

Can I solder these back together?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,168 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Stainless steel most likely. Not the easiest to solder as you need high-tin solder and flux. Plus you'll need a high output soldering-iron as the steel will wick away the heat quickly. Could you drill out and try use a stainless steel self tapping screw instead?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 rndjohn

Not sure what's behind the metal wall.

The drilling out gets more complex as I'd be afraid of introducing more issues/leakage etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭Cerco

Could you possibly glue it back with Araldite?

http://go-araldite.com/products/araldite-product-selector

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭The Red Ace

Drill through it and the back of the dishwasher with a 1/8 drill bit, you will need to put a rubber patch between the bracket and the back of the d/w when putting a small bolt through to prevent leakage. I have repaired a few of them this way

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Solder is an alloy made of lead and tin, as such a soldered joint would not be strong enough.

• Advertisement
Advertisement