Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bagrat Kudzievi

Options
1789101113»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭The Quintessence Model

I'm saying what I said. Getting hammered increases the risk of such an opportunist taking advantage of you. If someone does take advantage, they are solely to blame for their actions.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Piollaire

Appeal lodged but article doesn't say on what grounds -

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/munster/arid-40787742.html

Poor journalism. Either couldnt be bothered looking up the lodged appeal or doesnt want to reveal grounds of appeal for idealogical reasons

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

His point is crystal clear. If you get blackout drunk, yes, anything that happens you is on the perpetrator.

However, you are going to have to live with the trauma of whatever happened, no matter what happens to the perpetrator. So it will have an effect on you personally. Even though you aren’t to blame for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

May be unfair. SFAIK you lodge notice of appeal, and only later have to lodge a statement setting out the grounds for appeal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,847 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

So if your bike was robben because you only locked it to a chainlink fence, and it turns out the "perpetrator" was on CCTV camera and the Guards were able to identify him and knew where he lived, would you consider him innocent of the crime of theft? Maybe he just yanked the bike, pulling the lock through the fence wire, and cycled off with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,553 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

insert "So what you're saying is..." meme here

Well the poster is the one who came up with the analogy of a stolen bike to blame a victim here and conclude (or at least imply) that your man wasn't guilty

I asked the poster a question on his hypothetical bike scenario. I am not putting words in their mouth. Just asking.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,553 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

and conclude (or at least imply) that your man wasn't guilty

that's where you went wrong. that was never implied, not even hinted at, not even a little bit

each party to the incident is responsible for their own actions

This is what the poster said (emphasis added):

I have had a bike stolen because I didn't lock it correctly. Simple mistake and I take responsibility for it and have locked my bike properly since.

If someone takes responsibility for something, then surely they cannot simultaneously hold someone else responsible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭drivingmissdaisy

Its called buyers remorse.

She did something dirty not the actions of a "good girl".

Later people ask her WTF where you thinking. Laughing at her actions, call her names

Regret kicks in, i will reclaim my honour and say i was spiked.

Man now the villain and goes to jail, poor innocent girl now gets her honour back and sympathy for what happened.

Not the first time this scenario has played out and wont be the last.

Hence many US colleges suggest students agree in writing to sex beforehand, to avoid such a situation.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Shows how much you actually know about this case.

You keep going with your bullshit narrative though. Pure and utter bile.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭dontmindme

The defendant was sober enough to consent to the sexual assault but not sober enough to consent to being questioned, does that clear it up for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭SaltSweatSugar

Except that’s not what happened at all, is it?

I initially thought that too, but I later learned that it is common practice for the police in incidents like this, not to question a suspect without being 100% sober as their defense would be that they were intoxicated at the time of questioning and therefore what they said was inadmissible.

It's not that he was so drunk he was unable to speak. The news report I read was misleading and gave me a false impression.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭dontmindme

And why would that be so do you think. Why would the Gardai think their case against the defendant would be open to argument if they interviewed the defendant when he/she was under the influence of alcohol. Would it be that the defence could claim that the defendant was not fully compos mentis when questioned? And if this is the case, does it not therefore directly relate to the state of the intoxicated defendant in the commission of the crime? The defendant was not compos mentis when committing this crime.

I am in two minds with this case to be honest and I don't fully know the ins and outs and if it wasn't for the whole carrying her to a secluded spot, I would probably have a different opinion.

It's a horrible case, a horrible situation and I am uneasy to attribute guilt based on the information that was supplied to the public. However, I can only hope that the evidence that we are not privy to was enough to justifiably convict the accused.

Nobody here knows for sure and anyone who says they do is a liar.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,458 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

being drunk does not absolve you of responsibility for committing criminal acts. If I steal something when drunk and get arrested I'll be placed in a cell and not interviewed until I sober up. that doesn't mean I wasn't responsible for the theft.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭MarkEadie

Well we're off topic here and I'll reiterate what I've said before which is that I support the girl in this case and side with her version of events.

Regards to your question, I never said I'd consider the perp innocent at all. Obviously he is guilty of the crime and deserves punishment but that's not necessarily how it goesI just accept that there are opportunistic people out there and I do everything in my power not to become a victim of them. Being blackout drunk while in the presence of one of these opportunistic people is a terrible situation to put yourself in and we really should strive to not do that. We can argue about blame and I agree that the perp is to blame but I had to live without my prized bike because of my actions. So it didn't really help me having him to blame when I could have just locked it up properly and had a very good bike for transport. For.me I lived with the consequences.

So you speak about going off topic yet strangely you a concerned with a subject which is wholly off-topic to discussing the guilt of the man - which is how many drinks his victim had taken beforehand.

This is a thread about a man that was convicted of sexual assault. It was determined by a court so "sexual assault" is a statement of fact. It is not up to you - a randomer on the internet with nothing other than newspaper reports of the case - to determine that poor chap was hard done by or that the girl was "fair game" because she had drink taken.

You have instead gone off to "highlight" why you think the victim was at fault. Why you'd want to excuse, or at least diminish and distract from, the perpetrator's actions is a little concerning.

Let's suppose I decide to hide in the bushes along a canal, and wait until a lone female jogger comes along in the middle of the day so that I can jump out of the bushes, drag her in and assault her. Whereas you take a different approach. You decide to go prowling the streets outside your local nightclub after closing time to see whether there are any girls too drunk to realise that your car is not actually a taxi and they accept your offer of a lift home, and you subsequently do the same thing to that drunk girl as I did to the jogger. So we have both committed the same physical act against the respective girl against their wishes. Is one of us less guilty because of the respective girl's actions prior to encountering us? Does the drunk girls actions in getting drunk (something that people would say leaves her more vulnerable to attack) lessen your crime? Does the jogging girls actions in jogging on her own (something that people would say leaves her more vulnerable to attack) lessen mine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

Just to be devila advocate here. There was no reports anywhere that the defendant refused to consent to questioning on the grounds of inebriation. More likely, the Gardai waited until they were sure he was not intoxicated so that the statement stood up in court.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

I still find it hard to believe that some boardsies think he's been hard done by even claiming he's not a rapist.

Makes zero sense

Forget about boardsies who know nothing and weren’t there try to find answers to who the women who filmed it were and why they published rape to the internet.

The phrasing of that begs a question that isn't explicitly about this case:

Is it rape if you do not stop a drunken woman performing oral sex voluntarily, even if both parties have had drink taken?

I mean, if a woman has not been coerced or forced and initiates oral sex, surely that would be implied consent?

Thats a very murky area in my opinion

Ah it's not murky.

As you said 'voluntarily'. As you said if a woman is not forced, then there is no issue.

People seem to think that a woman being drunk is enough for rape to happen. It really isn't, the point is that the offender either knows that there is no consent, or is reckless (doesn't care) whether there is consent. Women can have drink in them and still consent to sex.

That's ok so.

I wasn't sure that if a woman was too drunk to consent, whether allowing her to perform oral sex would be classed as some sort of offence.

So long as you are sure that she is doing it, as you say, voluntarily, then that's what you believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,270 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Interesting how on many threads related to the murder of Aisling Murphy men are complaining about how women are overreacting about their safety fears etc.

Yet you have people on this thread thinking this guy was hard done by just because the woman in question was intoxicated.

Women would be right to be wary after reading some of the opinions on this or the spiking thread

I was banned from that spiking thread for not putting up with guff that spiking was a myth that never happens

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭MarkEadie

I think you're just attributing stuff to me that I didn't say or intimate. No real point in continuing the discussion when you're saying I'm determining the guy was hard done by or the girl was "fair game". Regarding your last paragraph what kind of question is it when you're asking if a lad going out with the intention of causing harm to someone and there is some way that I'm rationalising "lessens the crime"? I don't even know where you're coming from with that. Of course a predator there has committed a crime and nothing "lessens the crime". I think you just completely misunderstood my entire post and perhaps it's my fault to an extent because people also liked your post which was a little perplexing since it's attributing things to me which I clearly haven't said or intimated. As a matter of fact I have explicitly stated the opposite. So im sorry but it just feels pointless responding.

Advertisement