Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phone watch offer

• 02-12-2021 10:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭

Hi

My in laws have the old but ultra reliable hkc alarm system. All working fine

Some weeks ago they decided to remove the phone line. They got phone watch out to change the alarm monitoring to work off a sim

Phone watch have tried all three networks but the alarm keeps beeping to say it can connect.

It's odd, as they get a reasonable GSM signal

Phonewatch say they need to install a new system at 2.5k....but will discount it to 99euro. I know.

They want them to sign a contract for three years

Wull this wire free new system be good, can it be monitored by others after the 3 years? Any advice please

Comments

Are they the ones that if there's an alarm going off you have keyholders to investigate the alarm...then and only then will they send the police ..but not before the key holder has the *hit kicked out of him? Also for false alarms there's a penalty?

At least that was the way it was afew years ago

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,744 ✭✭✭✭altor

That a Crazy price considering they would have all the devices in place.

What I would advise is to upgrade the control panel and keypad and add an own brand HKC communicator to it.

If they didn't want to do this then HKC also have a universal communicator that will work on the older systems for monitoring through a monitoring station.

They system they have with the cameras are locked to P.W.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭kub

Yes HKC is very reliable and indeed does work very well.

Did Phonewatch install that HKC system originally ?

Interesting I think that, they could not get a GSM signal for the existing system, but this sudden need by them to install their new system will get a GSM signal, will it ????

And they are doing your in-laws a favour by installing a system for € 99 ? Have they not been advertising this recently ?

Did they tell your in-laws what they would be paying monthly for this new system, which they will never own, unless of course your in-laws have a unique arrangement with them.

This new system will mean internal PIRs in their home with cameras in them, are they ok with that ?

Their new system cannot be monitored by anyone else except for Sector/ PW as that system has been manufactured solely for them, as it will not as such be your in-laws property then I doubt legally that they can interfere with it at all or get someone else to.

You are much better off looking to another PSA registered company to look after them going forward, there are dozens of other monitoring stations in this country and each and every one has to comply with the exact same criteria as their existing provider.

As Altor pointed out previously, that communicator can literally work on their system as it is, I honestly would be getting another opinion here as regards GSM coverage.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,602 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

+ 1

Advertisement