Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Environmental Charities

• 03-12-2021 10:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭

Hi,

After watching a documentary last night on rewilding and restoring rural environments and the carbon sink benefits of wetlands and forestry. I think I want to make my charity donation for 2022 to an organisation which does this.

Preferably in Ireland as I'd like to support restoration of Irish habitats. Are there any good charities worth supporting. Was thinking about the Irish Wildlife Trust (IWT), however a quick look at their accounts and most of their cash seems to be spent on their Magazine and admin costs. I know andmin is needed and education is also important, but not what I wanted to try to help support at this time.

Any other good suggestions? or could I be wrong about how IWT spend their donations?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,430 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

depends on whether you want to pay for conservation, or advocacy, or what have you.

padraig fogarty of the IWT is one of the most prominent environmentalists in ireland - it's worth reading his book 'whittled away' - but one of the big issues for environmental groups is that when it comes to actual on the ground conservation work, control/access of land is required in many ways; and land is expensive. they're not making it any more.

this is a list of all members of the IEN - an umbrella group for environmental NGOs, the vast majority of which should have charitable status:

might be worth going down through the list and seeing what members might be doing things you're interested in?

Advertisement