Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Barra - December 7th/8th 2021

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Very icy and calm for now. Radar shows sleet across parts of the country, still dry here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Heckler

Lough area. Windy ta ****. Let ya know.If its like this at 4m 2 hours before predicted landlall this could be hairy.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Thepillowman

Wind just picked up in the last 20 minutes here 8n East Clare and starting to rain as I type.

Interesting update from Met.ie Snow mentioned a fair bit, for southern areas later on as well.

07 December 2021 03:35

Today

Storm Barra will bring severe and damaging wind gusts today. The winds will be strongest on exposed coastal areas of Munster and Connacht. Gale to storm force southeast winds will veer west and later northwest in direction. Heavy rain will move northeastwards across the country during the morning followed by widespread squally showers. Falls of sleet and snow are likely in places, especially across the north and west during the morning then in the south at times later. Coastal flooding is expected along with travel disruption. As the eye of the storm passes over the centre of the country winds will fall light and variable for a time. Afternoon temperatures of 5 to 7 degrees.

Tonight

The strong winds continue through Tuesday night. There will be frequent squally showers, some of sleet and snow with hail and isolated thunderstorms. Further damaging and possibly disruptive wind gusts are expected, especially in Atlantic coastal counties with gale to storm force west to northwest winds. A cold night with lowest temperatures of 1 to 4 degrees.

Tomorrow

A cold and windy day tomorrow, Wednesday, with bright spells in the south, and widespread showers, some of sleet and snow and prolonged over the northern half of the country. Highest temperatures of 4 to 7 degrees in strong to gale force northwest winds.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Awake since 3! Has really picked up in last 15 mins in cork city Northside

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Four are in with me. One was just forcibly evicted for attacking another.... but his wails had me letting him back in! The fifth is a wild inbred lad but there is excellent shed shelter. As soon as I settle my oldest and biggest will be under the covers keeping me warm! Extra food has been provided. A storm without cats is unthinkable...

It just woke me up …

Thanks; and I am safe and well equipped by careful planning. Bottled gas cooker and two bottles. Solid fuel stove and the corridor is lined with bags of coal and turf.... going to have to sacrifice the Christmas candles but there is time to replace them.

Right now a bacon butty and mug of tomato soup is definitely calling... lol, Bad weather makes me very hungry.....

Stay safe!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭sunbeam

Pretty squally here in Achill. Power flickering. I was hoping it would at least hold on until the evening.

Cork city southside being pelted with rain. I live close to the airport flight path and the sustained wind there sounded like a jet going overhead for 5 minutes.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Heavy sounding rain here now. Winds have died down.

Hope it holds out.. we are on a different circuit so so far unaffected.

Looks like snow in Donegal. Still dry here.

Some serious energy in those gusts. A bit wild in Cork City but nothing all that dramatic just yet. Wasn’t expecting this much noise so early tho. Rain isn’t as heavy now, but the wind is really driving it against the windows.

Savage gusts happening and the rain is fierce. Cork City.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Here we go

Winds just picked up here

N Cork

In a mobile home so will hear and feel every bit of it

😬

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

I'm 12 KM east of Clonakilty about 1KM from the coast. Wind just woke me up.

Lived in city for last 20 years before moving earlier this year so expecting the storm the feel a lot more significant than anything we've had in the last few years

What is the expected timeline of this in Cork City. So far this is more wet and wild than anything seriously violent.

What I would say, and I noticed this earlier on is the winds seem somewhat chaotic compared to what happened with Ophelia. It’s extremely blustery.

Definitely underway in Cork City.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭Squaredude

Getting very wild here(Ballybunion) now. If this is just the beginning, we're in for a rough day of it

• Advertisement

Very sudden change in the last 30 minutes. Rain and strong winds. Violent sounding.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

A blustery winter's night, been out for half an hour there, few energetic gusts, going to be a long day. Galway city

All will seem easier when it gets light. Not too long now

That last gust was the worst yet; seems to be intensifying.

West Cork offshore

Winds kicking off big time now in Cork. Rain hammering off the windows.

I decided to move rooms - it was too noisy to sleep. Rain was seriously bad and bouncing off the window.

Much calmer this side of the house, although I’m beginning to really hear the chimneys howling.

So far though, this is mild compared to whay Ophelia threw at us. The windows were literally moving in their rubber mounts when it got very bad and they are big heavy triple glazed things. It was absolutely hair raising for a while.

So far, this has been lively but nothing horrendous, although I get the feeling it’s picking up.

Sound effects.... Now the whistling atop the growling... The beasts are waking!

West Mayo offshore

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭tbayers

Ophelia was short lived I think, this could go on for 12 hours and more violent stuff seems to be arriving around mid day. Long way to go yet

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭octsol

Not bad here north kerry bit of heavy rain but nothing too bad on the wind front

• Advertisement

OK. I take that back. The last few gusts have been quite full on.

I’m not sure why I’m getting the sense the gust pattern with this seems very chaotic.

There are periods of just gentle stuff and then I’m hearing multiple chaotic gusts in quick succession.

It has an odd energy to it.

At least the leaves are generally down at this stage. If this had happened a few weeks ago the wind loads on trees could have been pretty bad.

Advertisement