Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Barra - December 7th/8th 2021

Options

Comments

Gusting to 95kmh Arklow at the minute

Often an odd wind direction can cause more issues than the outright strength, to a point at least. Trees "toughened" to regular 80-90km gusts from W/SW direction suddenly get a SE of a similar magnitude that takes them out, especially with very wet ground. Ophelia took a huge amount of trees, even in areas where the storm wasn't as strong a lot of trees were lost in the southerlies.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,322 ✭✭✭Cody montana

What makes you think they're speaking for the whole of Ireland?

I'm in a red area and it's fine.

Strong strong gusts in kildare the last hour, no harm if schools are closed on that weather imo

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭littlevillage

News agencies really hype the proverbial out of these weather events. (Scaring the bejaysus out of old age pensioners). Hoping for ratings.

The rest of us, know the score at this stage.

Its December in Ireland, its windy & wet, no sh1t 🤷‍♂️

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,272 ✭✭✭✭zell12

• Registered Users Posts: 8,330 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Winds picking up again.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Paso Fino

Delta44 going around for a second time at Dublin Airport. Ryanair4139 looking to divert from Knock to alternative airport and Ryanair103L aborted landing at Cork, successful landing at Shannon.

Sure wouldn't fancy flying in this!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

It's mad how you have people saying that their house is shaking with the wind in Dublin and powers going and coming in Kilkenny with the wind, but other saying we should all go in.

I don't think the world is going to end because schools closed for one day to try and stop people moving during a storm.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

The noise of the wind and rain woke me up at 6.30 here in Cavan. Its so dark and gloomy outside and the house is creaking. Thank god for working from home. The fire will be getting lit soon too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,519 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Wheelie bin chaos in Dublin city centre. The official indicator of a storm here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Strongest winds for cork and Kerry havent started yet.

Cork airport winds gradually increasing, was gusts of 43kts, then 45 and currently 51kts

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Heckler

Cork city now very windy and wet but I've gone to school in my youth in worse. Still early days though ! Gonna keep the phone off just in case work ring telling me to come in !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

True and there was alot of rain in the early hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,574 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Lashing rain and wind at 2:30 am on the Dingle peninsula. At 7:30 the rain abated. Since then just wind, very strong and steady. Power and Internet up so far

• Registered Users Posts: 14,408 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

especially when the worst for a lot of places isnt due until after dark tonight.

clare red warning doesnt come into effect until 4pm today

for me here in sw donegal the worst isnt due until well after dark tonight and that's just a brush off the edge.

so stay safe

• Registered Users Posts: 9,400 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Mace Head (Galway) managed a 100kph gust at 7am but back to 89kph at 9am.

The Clare red warning starts at 4pm so I expect the heavy stuff later.

West Galway.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

It's kinda funny looking at windy.com doing the forecast and the wind gusts.....Barra comes and goes and then if you keep the forecast rolling, Thursday night has gusts almost as big as the ones during this "storm". Yet there'll be no red or orange on Thursday I bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,197 ✭✭✭mossie

It's building up a lot here in North Cork, much stronger than an hour ago after a calm spell in between. Few trees down in surrounding areas I hear.

It's very calm now in Meath.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

Its calmed down considerably here in Arklow and the rain has stopped

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

To keep in line with the thread:

It's nearly nighttime dark where I am, although that's because my curtains are still closed.

Also, I got absolutely soaked earlier, wettest I could've actually gotten, but I was in the shower.

Anyway, super rainy here and can here a few solid gusts shake my windows. I'm 3 floors up in West Dublin. Lots of tree movements and and the building site beside me doesn't look very fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭Timmy O Toole

Damp squiD here in my back garden

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Shilock

Bit of a lull in West Clare now, but I'd say it's ramping up for an onslaught soon

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Wind ramping up further in Greystones. House making whistling noises I have not heard before!

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Shilock

it's a strange noise when the wind changes its tune, almost errie isn't it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭dmc17

Dry them off on some kitchen paper, cut into rings and straight on the BBQ with them!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Lashing rain and heavy winds here in Dublin 13 (orange area), I'm right on the coast and took a trip up the road for bread and milk, car was shaking like the beejesus when I'd stopped at the lights. I decided to cut through estates rather than stay on the coast road. Roads were safe enough though.

One tree down in an estate, nearly hit two ducks on the road, green bin rubbish everywhere. Who leaves their bins out unsecured in a storm??

Orange warning set to elapse at 2pm, and between now and 10am is forecasted strongest winds so will see how it all goes.

• Advertisement

About 4000 homes without power in Co Wicklow

Mostly in the south of the county

Advertisement