Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Barra - December 7th/8th 2021

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Gerry Murphy on News at 1 - sounds like this evening is going to be brutal for the west/Clare.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭The Nu man in town

It's not for you to decide what can and can't be discussed here. It's the topic of day, people will wander in to discuss it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

Due to fly out from Dublin tomorrow morning at 9.30am. just wondering what the opinions are, will there likely be delays then? There haven't been many today so hoping it stays that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭ellieh1

Definite increase in wind here in Limerick. It seemed to have quietened down for a bit late morning but definitely ramping up now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,399 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

One thing to note, we also have a nationwide Yellow wind and rain warning for Wednesday up until 6pm

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Seems to be getting going again in west Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭zisdead

Wind has obviously gone SW now as it has really picked up in D22 about a mile from Casement as the crow flies and out of the wicklow Mts shadow

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,187 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Got some loot this morning.

Blew right across the road in front of the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I mean, I'd agree with part of that sentiment only it's quite premature. It's 1pm. Unless you're some kind of mystic meg, why can't we discuss the actual forecast and how things are going nationally?

And how is shoehorning in mentions of snowflake culture and school closures anything but a self-centred view of things? Just because schools are closed in Lucan, doesn't mean the whole world has to discuss this in the weather forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Good! I was told when I called to report a fault and since then they have made every effort to avoid my being left without power, even though I am on an offshore island. Impressive!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,238 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

I have great time for people in emergency services, whether run by the state or on a voluntary basis. I know many individuals who are or have been involved. I also know that these individuals can differentiate between members of the public who know what they are about and those who are inexperienced. As individuals they have a nuanced & realistic view. The problem arises with the 'corporate message' that increasingly arises from the bodies and organisations they operate or operated in and that treats all members of the public as imbeciles. Citizens can take advice and after that if they choose, their chances. There is no obligation and never has been on emergency services to recklessly endanger themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭mumo3

Just got a call from my daughter, asking me to stop off at the shop on the way home, as she's refusing to leave in that, sure she'll be blown down the nangor road quicker than I could drive it so 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 34,279 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Very strong here past hour in Kerry/Limerick border.

Anyone know when its meant ease in South?If at all today?

It's the length of this storm which is real worry I say for most

I’m in a similar location to you. It’s not necessarily the wind that I’m worried about as trees are far enough away from the house and I won’t be going anywhere. It’s the electricity going off that affects me most.

Which is why I have 2 flasks of boiling water ready, porridge made in the soup flask and I put a lamb stew on at 9am this morning! 😂 Have torches, open fire, a gas camping stove so I’m prepped and ready. Oh, and whiskey, lemon and cloves so not to waste water 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

So far so good, strong sustained gusts now for over an hour. Squally rain too, making a wind chill, so lit the stove.

Only some unlodged mypex so far.

N Cork

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

Really strong here now, any idea how long Kerry will get strong winds for? What's tomorrow looking like?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭denismc

The power outages starting to mount up. Pretty much everywhere affected except the Midlands.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

You would have to say it hasn't been as bad as forecast. Orange territory for Cork so far anyway. Nearly all business shut down here which isn't necessary imo

• Registered Users Posts: 4,344 ✭✭✭mojesius

Winds very strong in South Wicklow 130m asl, hasn't really let up all day but I'm working up in the attic and starting to hear creaking so it must be getting gustier

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭torres9kop

listening to newstalk there they have reporters all over the country asking them how it is. All of them saying grand just a bit breezy.

we really need to sort out the warnings going forward

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,286 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

well yes, but it was a red warning so…it’s easy to say with hindsight that it wasn’t necessary for businesses to shut down. There are several hours left in the warning also.

You must be listening to different radio than I am.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭ThaitaniumM

Remember the SW flanks of these storms are the strongest and this part of the storm has yet to hit most of country.

Was quite amusing to hear this on RTE news as well, after a big build up the reporter almost apologetically: '... er, pretty normal really...'.

All expecting to kick off this evening though.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,279 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

If you look at the Trackrr that rte have up you can see likes of Cork City are OK now but further up into limerick and to West cork is taking a battering

You're like a broken record at this stage.

I've read about 50 variations of the same thing.

It was absolutely red in Cork City until about 8am and there have been issues like falling masonry / plaster and the odd flying slate in the city centre.

From Irish Examiner journalist, Liz Dunphy: https://twitter.com/lizdunphy1/status/1468152406965993472?s=21

It's been fairly typical winter storm stuff since then though. Mostly just very blustery.

For us the Ophelia red warning was also definitely accurate. I've never experienced anything as bad as that. There were lumps of trees slamming into the windows. We actually had two broken velux windows after it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,286 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Gone very dark in cork city and gusts picking up again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭onlyonpaper

Almost eerie here around Sligo town...Barometer now down at 940..Drizzling rain and virtually dead calm....at same time Gerry Murphy extending Orange to sligo and Leitrim

Advertisement