Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying in Wicklow - kids in university

Options
  • 04-12-2021 8:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭

We are thinking of moving to Wicklow and are looking at several different places, Rathdrum, Wicklow Town and Roundwood (my personal preference).

We have three children in primary school (currently in a Gaelscoil) and hopefully eventually they will go to university and that's a bit of a concern.

Unless we win the lotto its unlikely we will be able to afford renting them apartments/digs in Dublin when the time comes so commuting is going to be the only option.

Just wondering if any of these places is better for that in terms of public transport? How do other parents in Wicklow manage this?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,932 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Personally I wouldn't over think it. You are a decade or more from this being a concern. Wicklow is well served by Public Transport you can check our Bus Éireann and wexford bus sites to get a feel for timetables. Also two of this locations have train service.

Your kids may also be driving by then. Not necessarily on your dime.

Choose the home that makes you happy now and fits your life now. Not in a decade you can adjust then.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Give them a good education, make sure they are outgoing, good manners and have a great respect for others and they will have no problems finding part time jobs to fund their own college life with just a small amount of help from you.

And as above, live for the now and choose something that suits your current needs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭Baybay

I agree with the posters above, choose what you love now as, while it’ll pass quickly, ten years is a long time for meh.

Having said that, students from all over the county currently go to university in Dublin & elsewhere in the country so it’s doable though perhaps some areas are a bit easier than others for independent travel. And maybe university won’t be an option your children will want to pursue.

In my opinion, Co. Wicklow isn’t that well served by public transport once away from the Dart. Trains aren’t frequent, buses aren’t always reliable & traffic can be challenging. Probably things in common with most other counties.

That said, there are plenty of other benefits to living in the places you’ve mentioned, including lots of clubs, activities etc that your children can avail of now. If I had to choose though, it’d probably be Wicklow town. Trains, buses, sea, new library, golf, GAA, soccer, restaurants, bars, coffee shops, small independent shops, Tesco, new Lidl opening in the new year, bakeries, an amazing bookshop etc.Those are just what immediately spring to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Obviously depends on where college ends up being.

I'm Wicklow Town, son in UCD, before he started to drive it was 1-hour door to door on the Wexford bus.

There is also a Beehive to DCU option and other main colleges covered, further current details are on the link below.

https://www.wexfordbus.com/promotion/network-of-bus-services-makes-starting-college-a-little-easier/

Advertisement