Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert Spanish For Bilingual Students where the language isn't thought in Secondary School

• 04-12-2021 1:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭

I'm really hoping I can get some direction or help on here for this potential issue.

My Daughter and another student are bilingual having one parent from Spain and got top marks in Spanish for the Junior. They are being home thought the higher level course and if circumstances allow should have no problem with the oral or written exam. The school they attend does not offer Spanish as a subject but have facilitated the sitting of the exams.

So trying to plan for all eventualities in the event of some new strain of Covid causes the 2022 Leaving Cert written or oral exam get cancelled, I believe for students who study Spanish in school it will be based on on going assessments, I'm just not sure what will happen with those who are studying it on their own. School have not been very helpful, just mentioned about getting a tutor, not even sure what the requirement would be from Dept of Education, it's probably similar issues with other languages like polish. Has anyone any experience or giddiness that they could share?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Romero

Has anyone got any helpful advice or pointers on this matter?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

I haven't heard much about this, so I can't give any solid advice, but if there is a school in the area that does teach Spanish, perhaps the students could request to sit a few mock exams there? And then their marks could be submitted along with those of full time students. Or else sit said exams in their own school and request a tutor to correct them. If a teacher in their school speaks Spanish (e.g. French/Spanish qualified but only teaching French), that might also be an avenue to explore. Buena suerte. 😊

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

From what I heard of these kind of situations last year, she won't get a predicted grade (if they're happening again this year), and will have to sit the exam. It's highly unlikely the exams won't happen again. At the very most it'll be like last year where people have the option. Not sitting it at all caused way more mayhem in 2020 than the 2021 situation did. If you want to be very safe, sign her up to some form of doing Spanish outside of school class.

Advertisement