Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ATA shotguns anyone any experience?

Options
  • 04-12-2021 3:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭

Hi All,

A mate is looking for a shotgun and spotted the ATA (I think there are SP Black and SP Sporter versions).

They look well made and feel solid for the price, but wanted to see if anyone on here had any experience or feedback on them.

He is looking at the 12G versions, but any feedback would be great.

Cheers.

Post edited by keith s on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Peppa Cig

Well regarded in the UK with high volume sales.

Spoke with main UK importer at BSS a few years ago and he stated that problems with ATA no more than premium brands (he seemed genuine - SGC so they sell all brands).

We are a bit more reluctant in Ireland ref Turkish SG’s but they do seem like great value and at that money I’d be tempted to take a punt if I needed one.

https://youtu.be/CT3oRkW2094

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭slipperyox

In my opinion, there is a snobbery element with shotguns here, possibly due to the cheap price and the inability for an rfd to blend in a cut on resale.

Up to a point you pay for quality/reliability , after that finish, then after that a name.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,986 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

I'd say it is more because we got a lot of Gen1 Turkish guns here, that were made from old horseshoes and engine blocks or the like, and quite frankly, were horrible yokes altogether. That has changed a lot now and they are becoming a lot better as the Turkish arms industry is on a learning curve so their stuff is getting better over the last decade. They are on par with what we looked down on in the 80s in Spanish guns. But nowadays no one would look askance at you at a shoot if you pulled out a pair of AYA Nr 1 SXS's

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭useurowname

I’d always be thinking resale value . Whatever about being brand snobby, Browning and Beretta have earned their reputations for reliability, consequentially they hold their value, you can pick up a well used 525 or 686, could have been hard shot, stock marked and so on but mechanically they are bombproof and go on and shoot it forever trouble free. Only time will tell if Yildiz and ATA can earn the same prestige. I’d research the individual models though.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Uinseann_16

I have an ATA NEO "Green" that's 8 years old I've had for over a year my father owned it previously i put more cartridge's through it in the last year than he did during previous years and given it some serious abuse and I cant fault it mechanically

However the paint on my action has peeled I think due to a possible chemical reaction , when i contacted ATA support they put me onto sportmanguncentre which is the nearest distributor I tried to contact them on multiple occasions and NADA a terrible company to deal with

ATA were going to fix it but sportsman wanted nothing to do with it so just be cautious of that ATA is a great company to deal with however due to the current supply chain you seem to be pretty much F**cked due to sportsman

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Mississippi.

That's OK thanks,

It's just with the push towards steel ammo and the proof pressures needed for it, it's a subject I pay particular attention to now.

Always trying to learn a little bit

ATA barrels are all chrome lined so they'd be up the top for steel proofed barrels

• Registered Users Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

underrated totally as good as any upmarket firearm

Also steel shot proofing has nothing to do with pressure it's simply that the barrel has to take additional wear and tear due the fact it's using steel shot over lead

Lead is obviously softer than steel , Chokes are something else to look at not all chokes are steel proofed

ATA barrels are all black chrome lined

Is it not that because steel is less dense than lead and does not carry the same energy or cover the same distance that the powder charge is increased and therefore the pressure is increased also?

• Advertisement

Some steel shot cartridges are indeed almost a +p if you will many are not anything beyond CIP limits

But many are safe to shoot pressure wise in a 3" magnum chambered gun etc but your chokes are the real sticking point

My ATA is steel proofed but only one choke is actually steel proofed too rest aren't

I thought tighter chokes were ok for anything up to no. 3 shot?

There are very few magnum 3" chambered shotties about though, that's the danger.

My own Baikal is chrome lined AFAIK but it is only proofed to 65MPa - 650 bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Citizensmith_Australia

An Australian shooter here, the ATA importer in Australia is a company call NIOA, they did extensive testing of ATA shotguns before releasing them onto the Australian market.

Google - "NIOA ATA shotguns" if interested (I can't post a link as I'm new here and I can't be trusted yet apparently. lol)

I personally picked up an ATA 686SE about 7 years ago now for around $1200 AUD, for a casual shooter who breaks a few sleeves of clays before leaving a range session this gun has been fantastic.

Mine came with a 5 year warranty but it's shooting today as good as the first day I pulled it out of the included breakdown case it came with.

Here's an Aussie review someone put on YouTube after his purchase, he updates his views on the shotgun (9+ years after purchase) in the comments section and still believes the ATA is a great gun.

Google: "ATA Arms 686s Shotgun Review" (Again, I can be trusted with a SG, just not posting links on this forum. lol)

Hope this helps anyone looking to purchase an ATA.

*Edit: forgot to mention, due to 'environmental impact' on a supposed water table my local range only allows steel shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭Gorgeousgeorge

good guns. take a look at the yildiz range as well. and always remember its the indian not the arrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,284 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Just thought I'd pop back in for a quick update for anyone concerned over ATA's longevity, my ATA 686SE is still shooting like a champ with no issues thus far.

Took my 12yo out to the range today and he used it for his first ever shotgun shoot (proud Dad moment), he likes it as well :-)

Advertisement