Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2021 Scottish Open, Llandudno

• 06-12-2021 11:07am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭

After a dramatic and exciting UK Championships, it's back to the rather more mundane fare of the Home Nations series and the Scottish Open coming from, er, Wales. Due to contractual issues with venue in Glasgow apparently.

Anyway, today sees largely the heldover qualifiers taking place so the tv boys get to put all the big guns on. In the afternoon Ronnie is up against Spaceman Dominic Dale while the evening will see Judd take on Rob Milkins followed by Higgins v Alfie Burden.

Tournament already down two heavy hitters with withdrawals of Neil Robertson and Mark Williams. Given Willo seemed to be struggling with after effects of covid the past few weeks, his no show doesn't come as a huge shock really.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Looking at robbo, the reason he's pulled out is given as pulsatile tinnitus. I've heard of tinnitus obviously but this particular kind is new to me. Looking it up it says:

Pulsatile tinnitus is a rhythmical noise that beats at the same rate as the heart and is the sound of blood circulating the body. A person can confirm this by feeling their pulse as they listen to the tinnitus noise.

Doesn't sound like something I'd want to have anyway and in terms of treatments, they wouldn't appear to be entirely straightforward from the few bits I've read. Hopefully it clears up quickly and he's back in action soon anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭eric hoone

Spaceman 1 up in the race to 4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,095 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Boiled the kettle to make some tea, Dale looked favourite to go 3-2. Tea hadn't even brewed and it was all over, Ronnie wins 4-2.

Ding lost again. Whats happened there? Career in freefall.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

Ding gone off the boil big time, been off it a while it has to said, correct me if I'm wrong but he hasn't won an event in like 4 years I think, Just reading his wiki and stephen hendry said maybe we've seen the best of him, could be true, he's still had a great career, 14 ranking event wins with 3 UK Championships and two masters titles.

There was always somewhat of a spotlight on Ding, he was considered the Chinese MVP and was touted to go on and win a world title but it just never happened, still he has had a great career and is still young.

Ding always been a bit up and down career wise, only thing this time he spent quite a bit of time back in china with family so focus may not have been entirely on snooker, possibly taking time for him to get back into it. Hard to say, always has been a bit mercurial when it comes to his game, to say the least. Only the 4th ranked Chinese player now and likely to have to qualify for the crucible this time around. Then again, last time he was in the world qualifiers, he nearly went and won the damn thing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,095 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Hes still only 34 I guess. A youngun in todays game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,483 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Ding was UK Champion 2 years ago. Those points falling off has hit him now and so he won't make the Masters.

I had to laugh last night with the BBC, no sooner had the lad won the UK Championship, 200 grand and the biggest win of his career, but the BBC presenter had to emphasise to him 'you're in the Masters now....woah, woop, woop'.

I know they want to drum up interest for 1 month's time, but let's live in the moment of the UK Championship first.

Not just in the masters, but now a cert for the players, the tour championship and world championships seeding as well. And not forgetting the champion of champions next season. Simply a quite remarkable turnaround. Before last week, he'd won £6k for the season, now he's No.1 on the season list. The opportunities are there for him if he can build on it and handle the increased pressure.

Not a fan of Joe Johnson commentating, much prefer Dale.

Gutsy little clearance from Ng On Yee to go 2-1 up on Shaun. He's gifting her some amount of chances here, needs to be careful or another seismic shock will be on the cards.

• Advertisement

She (almost) clears the table again to go 3-1. Murphy, it has to be said, has been comically bad, but she is doing what she needs to do. I notice Murphy still bookies favourite but would need to pick up dramatically to avoid disaster here.

Looking at scoreboard - come on Ng! Just the colours left atm, and she's in with a chance of winning 4-2 against Spud... Live on Eurosport now - for a moment just,, 😯

Looked good there for a second when she had him in a tight spot behind the brown but murph lucky enough to get out of it. Murphy has picked it up but still looking vulnerable so wouldn't abandon all hope for her yet.

Murphy clears it up anyway, shame for her, bit more luck in previous frame and might well have been her night. For all her limitations, she's tidy enough and has reasonable safety game. Fancy there's one or two on tour she can definitely beat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,947 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

The Brecel vs Perry match was good, Brecel taking the win 4-2 on a re-spotted black, entertaining. Some good snooker by both..

Was a bit comical from Perry in the end. Had at least a quarter ball, maybe even half, to hit on the red and he somehow manages to hit the pink thus leaving Luca able to win the frame again without snookers. Had missed a sitter of a pink to middle the previous shot to make certain of it.

Interesting score in F5 between Lee Walker and Jimmy Robertson.

Walker 6 Robertson 178

Includes a 133 from Jimmy and what I can only assume is a bucketload of fouls.

Ronnie's too good... maybe we'll get to see the rest of Fergal O'Brien's match... must be on frame 2 at this stage 😋

Just looked at 'scoreboard'....think Fergal's match aint started yet - oops 😕 Maybe it'll be live

Fergal after a poor break off playing very well to come from behind and go 1-0 up,, looking in good touch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

Good stuff from fergal here against Wilson. He seems to have increased the speed of his game when down on the shot. I think it suits him. 2-0 o brien

Fergal is always fairly fluent once he's in among the balls, it's when matches get scrappy and tactical the shot time invariably goes up. He can win either way, as he's showing here. Been playing solidly since the start of the season as well.

massive frame this, Wilson could do with this to not only start bridging the gap but to get some momentum and confidence ...

Fergal goes 3 - 0 it’s going to be tough even for a world class performer like Wilson.

Wilson in trouble now.

A bit scrappy that frame, but it's the result that counts. Wilson looks off form and he's running out of games to switch it on. Fergal will feel the pressure now to win the match. Be interesting to see what it does to his game.

I don't no why but I have a sneaky suspicion the Wilson will win this still!

I have a feeling Fergal won't be wanting an 'amper for Christmas 😋 He's had enough of them tonight.... can he run through winnin' line, or will he fall over it? Mon Fergal!

Well, there is my first of what will be many failed predictions!

Wow... a 144 clearance... that was a massive win for him. Really impressed.

• Advertisement

Wilson wasn’t bad he was just allowed feck all time at the table and Fergal missed very little, took his chances when presented with them... fair play..

Fair play to Fergal. A great win. He's well happy in the studio laughing and joking.. Sheriff or Cabbie up next for him 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭eric hoone

Interesting to hear his assessment of the game in Ireland too

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,649 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Hon ye good thing Fergal! Great performance

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

He was in great form in studio and nice to see them spending some time talking to him. Im Glad he wasnt afraid to call out his playing partner Murphy on his views on amateurs. "If you can't beat an amateur in round 1 you have problems"

Can't remember the last time I saw Fergal interviewed after a match, love listening to him talk about the game.

Looking at the draw, it's not great but could be worse too. Gary Wilson or Sheriff next, then possibly brecel after that. Nothing easy but not players he can't beat either. He'd need semi final this week to qualify for World Grand Prix which would be a huge xmas bonus. Not impossible though I doubt he'll even be looking beyond next match at this stage.

• Advertisement

"Quality not quantity" he said 😃 - possibly 2 players, at best, coming through from Ireland, going by what he said in his interview there... very few clubs, but there's 8 tables in academy in Carlow.. 😊 Game is as good as gone in Ireland - not many clubs = not many youngsters coming through.. Aaron Hill and Ross Bullman is what we're pinning our hopes on.. So will hope they make it,,,

Good observation he made about how little funding there is, even on the back of Ken's WC win years ago.. reckons there's too much snobbery against snooker.. can't say he's wrong 😒

Fact is in Ireland if you're not either one of the big 3 sports or an Olympic sport, you might not as well exist when it comes to the loot being dished out. There are a couple of kids on the fringes though, like Adam Halnon and Alex Currid who will probably go to q school next year. Younger still is Leone Crowley, another cork kid and definitely the brightest prospect we have, already moved across to England and gaining good experience playing regular pro ams.

Michael Judge 1-0 up...at the table again, break of 23..

Match appears to be still going, I think?? Twenty to one int morning 😲😆 Frame 7 and Jackson about 15 up, with 51pts left - Judge on table now.. Hon Michael! Very close this - only 7 in it now

All over.. Jackson Page wins 4-3

• Advertisement

A couple of frames up to loosing a best of 7, not great to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Glenman

Is Doherty playing today?

Ken due on table in 30 minutes to take on Xu Si.

Ken 1-3 down and at the table. Been in first every frame.

Another defeat for Ken. How long does his tour card last? Not sure if he should be given another wildcard after this one expires?

His card runs out this year so needs to get inside top 64 or higher up the one year list to have a chance there. Still not that far off but will need a couple of results post new year, likely all come down to the world championships. Don't know about wild cards, now that Barry is gone (in theory), might not be straightforward. I think I recall bazz saying wild cards were there for as long as they wanted them but that was in relation to Jimmy or Hendry, don't know if that covered Ken.

Nice to see Gouldy win here... very close in decider against Jordan Brown,,,,

He's stuck the pink has Jordy.. Martin has a simple pot, albeit with rest, to win

No rest required.. Martin Gould wins 4-3

I see ref Proletina Velichcova (sp?) is back reffing.. I thought she were a draughtsman or architect, or summit in that line 😊 Always nice to see her anyhow 😂

It's hard to perform at the top level when you are doing the punditry at the same time. It's hard to put in he preparation required. Sometimes on the ITV tournaments you see Hendry trying to put in a bit of practice in the background. Not ideal preparation.

Didn't McManus give up the professional game because he said that he could not do both (professional snooker and punditry)

• Advertisement
Advertisement