Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lied to at interview

Options
  • 06-12-2021 6:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi i was told on a interview that i would work 2 days,1 night and thenn2 days off in cycles. Also was told ill get 2 euro extra an hour for nights and 80 per night extra as standard. I got my contract 1 day before my notice period was over at my old job. So signed it and now im working 5 nights a week sometimes, some weeks 50 hours some 30 some 60. Also im not gettungvthe extra 80 per night shift. It say iys only for sleep in nights a standard rate. I was mislead in interview to think it was 80 extra for working night and also the 3 days on and 2 off . Friend told me there is nothing i can do as i signed the contract. But is that true as i feel they delayed sendingbthe contract on purpose so my notice period was over and had no choice but to take up employment here now.

Answers

• Registered Users Posts: 8,425 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Hindsight I know, but don't hand in notice until a contract is signed.

Regardless what you recall about being told about the job in the interview, the contract is all that matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,669 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Not a whole lot you can do, maybe talk to the people who interviewed you and ask them to clarify but that sounds like a pretty significant hit per night from what you expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭kravmaga

Get onto HR and your line Manager , start firing off emails, if they dont play ball, look for a new job in the new year, life is too short.

They dont sound like a professional outfit, more like a mickey mouse operation.

It'll help in an unexpected way. Unlike leaving where you won't be eligible for Unemployment Benefit when they fire you because you are a "trouble maker" you can go on to UB straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,669 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

OP is probably still on probation, as such, they can let the go without cause and that may affect UB.

That aside, actively trying to get fired and having that on your CV is an interesting career move. Don't think the solution to getting less money than expected is hardly to get even less again through becoming unemployed.

OP, talk to the company and tell them what you were told during interview, expect that they will say you misunderstood and that they cannot change things and start considering how you would react in such a case, tough it out? go back to your old job, if possible, look for a new job.

It's a tough situation to be in a couple weeks before Christmas, I hope you get sorted in a positive manner.

• Advertisement
Advertisement