Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gender Quotas in Construction Sector

• 07-12-2021 10:24am
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,224 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Just saw this on Facebook.

Would it work in Ireland?

20 years ago, my class of c. 120 had about 20 women.

In my 20 years working as an engineer i've only ever worked with a hand full of women. I did work in an office with 25% women but it was a small office.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Quotas are a very stupid way to address any issue . Where are the quotas in nursing, primary teaching and childcare

Equal opportunity and promotion of careers is all that's required . Genders naturally gravitate towards certain fields , there is nothing overly wrong with that .

Scandinavian 2nd level and 3rd level is very much a level playing field with lots of co-ed and time and time again young women and men naturally gravitate towards certain areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Bsharp

For me one of the key actions is to address the choice of subjects available at secondary level. Many girl only schools have no option to do woodwork, tech graphics or physics. Similarly boy only schools can't choose home economics.

So there's an imbalance from a very early age that is reflected in various professions.

Advertisement