Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tesco Misleading Purchase - Thoughts

• 07-12-2021 3:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

So I got an email for Tesco online shopping including a €20 off when I spend €80.

I added items as normal and then at the end added the voucher code which deducted the final amount by €20. All good so far. Email confirmation informed me :

Total Savings:€26.18

Guide price *(22 item s ) €88.70

Delivery charge:€5.00

Bag Charge€0.00

Subtotal:€93.70

Payment summary

e-coupons-€20.00

Total left to pay:€73.70

Shopping arrived fine. But when I checked the receipted received the €20 hadn't been removed and I was charged full price.

I contacted support and they informed me that alcohol (€39 or order was alcohol) was excluded and so the voucher wasn't valid and if I wanted I could have handed everything back to the driver and refused the delivery if I wasn't happy at price (I only checked receipt after he was gone).

Now... Alcohol being prohibited is in the T&Cs which is fair enough, but my problem lies with the fact that the voucher code was accepted and at no point did it tell me it wouldn't be valid, my paper receipt on the day shows no mention of the code at all. Email, as above, does.

FYI on * on guide price in email

*Why might the guide price be different to my final bill?

The guide price is based on today's prices instore. However as we shop for your order on the day you want it delivered, just as though you were shopping yourself, some of the prices may have changed.

No mention of eCoupon there around price changing.

Looking the ccpc website I might have a case of the price being clearly misleading: https://www.ccpc.ie/consumers/shopping/pricing/wrong-price-displayed/

Special offers and sale prices

When a shop offers a discount or lower sale price, the price should be correct and not misleading in any way.

If the price advertised is not honoured by the business and you are asked to pay a higher price, you do not have an automatic right to buy the item at the special offer or sale price. As long as the shop or business tells you before you pay that the higher price applies, you have the option to either buy it at the higher price or decide not to. However, the shop or business may be in breach of consumer law in relation to misleading advertising.

I wasn't informed before I paid that price would not be honoured.

It's only €20, so not that big a deal, but customer care was really rude and unhelpful and that's the main reason I'm following up, I'm even willing to take the case to the small claims court if I have to, even though it will cost me €25 to do that, but it's the principle.

Anyway, thoughts? Is it on me to validate the T&Cs and not their system? Was I unfairly misled into the promo price?

Thanks

Comments

Well it was very well publicised that money off vouchers can't be used on alcohol since the start of 2021 due to government regulations

Yes there was some sort of slip-up on their IT system here but that doesn't invalidate the above

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Alcohol is prohibited by law to be used in voucher promotions. They simply cannot honour it but they should make it clearer. Doesn't matter whether its Tesco, Dunnes or a local corner shop

That their system accepted the voucher makes little difference as its covered in the terms and conditions.

Advertisement