Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eurovision Song Contest 2022

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭pnott

Ukraine received 12 points from 28 countries in the public vote. Ukraine received 439 out of a possible score of 468 in the public vote (94%).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,203 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Also known as "how dare you call a spade, a spade" mentality lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,752 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

5 of the 6 I voted for got points from Ireland - Ukraine, Moldova, Norway, Romania and Serbia, not bad:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭Heckler

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Also known as "how dare you question or disagree with the narrative"......😉

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭pnott

I totally agree. The dutch did an incredible job despite the challenges of Covid in 2021. Everything about the Italian staging was lacking. The presenters weren't great. Lot's of ad-libbing between songs. The dutch managed to run a superb slick operation, the Italians evidently couldn't change the set quickly enough. Even the end of the voting was awkward when the three hosts just stared at the screen blankly. At times it was fantastic but a bit unprofessional at times too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,743 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Public placed us 11th and jury placed us 16th!

Jury's also placed Azerbaijan 6th(96 points) and the public 18th(0 points) they came 10th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,671 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Moving aside from the bizarre "Don't let the war influence a shìte song contest" nonsense, can I just say it warms my heart that our much loved Polish population clearly made their voices heard.

Easily the most positive I've ever felt about Eurovision

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭johnire

Agree completely. I thought the whole thing was very poor. The stage was underwhelming and there seemed to be a huge amount of monochrome lighting effects. The presenters were nice enough people but I thought definitely not confident enough. There were a lot of awkward gaps and ad libbing. The interval entertainment wasn’t great- very average. The postcards before each song was very badly done I thought- whilst each location was stunning the way the artist or group were superimposed onto the scenery was very strange. And what on earth was that Eurovision Confidential segment about??!!- it was beyond bizarre! All in all coupled with the fact that the songs quality were below average it was a disappointing show- certainly for me one of the least enjoyable for many years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

The jury vote had Spain high up despite the fact it was an utterly shite and forgettable song. They had Azerbaijan in the top ten and it was even worse.

The public vote has its flaws but without it you’d have bland forgettable shite winning every year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

I listened to the Ukraines song this morning for the first time. The standard of songs over all must have been really bad for that song to win. Or was it another blatant display of virtue signalling. Scandalous carry on altogether.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,674 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

There were actually calls for Scotland to forfeit the game against them in qualifying...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

I would agree that the hosting and presentation was not that good this year. The interval and filler performances were fine, but overall it lacked polish and the presenters were awkward at times. I thought Alessandro was the best of the three - he was more natural and enjoyable. The stage was disappointing, but we know that went wrong anyway.

I feel like they failed to capture the specific kitsch atmosphere of Eurovision and also didn't inject enough distinctly Italian flavour either. It was not a bad show but it was mediocre.

Can't believe some would favour the jury vote over the public because of a show of support for Ukraine. Azerbaijan and Spain were popular with the juries!! Hardly evidence of professional judgement!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,924 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

And here you are virtue signalling in your own way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,924 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,110 ✭✭✭Xander10

This is of bigger interest to me. In recent years the Irish public have voted big for Poland. Which suggests to me , a small section are actually ringing in all the votes.

Personally, I've never bothered.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

Well done to the UK, great performance from them and flies in the "they are hated narrative".

That winning song is awful 😂 but then again so are alot of music tastes (to me - esp in that side of europe)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,110 ✭✭✭Xander10

Everybody knew for weeks Ukraine were going to win. So the outrage now seems strange.

Is it because the UK came second?? There have been past results where the public vote completely scuppered the jury vote.

For me the UK song was, ok. And for it to come first, would not have reflected the best song of the comp at the end of the day either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,600 ✭✭✭✭walshb

With all due respect this is a ridiculous take.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,071 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

See, Europe always liked us.

They just didn’t like our rubbish songs!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,391 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Dunno, got the impression they were ad libing at times. Things might not have been smooth in background, notice connections fell to some countries. Was there a cyber attack being attempted to disrupt? As regards songs thought Sweden and UK were ordinary enough. The Moldovans had a bit of spark but the Netherlands I thought best as a song. Can see why Ukraine won though, wasn’t a bad song, catchy and public sentiment. Up yours Putin.

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭iffandonlyif

‘Maybe you should stop being pathetic.’

Wow, that’s a real zinger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,600 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Folks, what country got the most douze points?

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Apothic_Red

Brooke came 15th in her semi.

Ukraine got 12 or 10 from nearly every public vote, see Gavin Reilly on Twitter

The 6 countries that are under suspicion for rigging were issued with estimated votes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Which means technically they were the winners..!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Thought Moldova was the most enjoyable act.

I watched all 25 acts with the subtitles on so I could understand all the lyrics.

Thought there were too many “downer” songs for a time where songs could be more uplifting.

I didn’t enjoy Armenia’s song, nor Australia etc.

The wolf banana song from Norway was very annoying but afterwards it was one of the few I could remember the tune so it might be catchy enough but the lyrics were so strange it put me off. Does anyone know if there was a meaning to it that might make sense or was it just pure nonsense?

I was very surprised Iceland didn’t do better, I liked that they sang in their own language, I think a lot of the singers sing better in their own language in general.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

I don’t mind the Ukraine win as such as it was a catchy song and they have a good Eurovision pedigree. What I don’t like is the fact they would’ve won regardless of the song they entered.

To show solidarity with Ukraine? I think it’s pretty obvious Europe are in support of Ukraine, even before the result was announced as there were many mentions and nods to Ukraine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

I can’t help but feel that the Big 5 are at a disadvantage by not having to perform in the semi final. I had no opinion of the Spanish song coming into the final last night (apart from the arses I saw in the clip they showed during the week!), but I thought the song was actually quite good. Same with the UK. Sometimes you need to hear a sing a few times for it to really grab you, and the big 5 don’t have that advantage.

Post edited by DebDynamite on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Imagine how much craic it'd be if Ireland actually had a chance of winning. When's the last time we legitimately contended? 97?

Advertisement