Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eurovision Song Contest 2022

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭LordBasil

Yeah, I was shocked by that. People might be assuming wrong as the LLS audience voted for Sinead Mulvey, Jedward (twice!), Ryan Dolan & Kasey Smith over the ballads they were up against so Brooke has a strong chance. It is going to be interesting to see if there will be big discrepancies between the national juries, international juries & the audience vote. We might be in for a shock result.....

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Very interesting that there's international juries this year, a step in the right direction I think (well as long as none of those clowns from Wiwibloggs are involved). Has the breakdown between public/jury votes been revealed? I'm guessing 50% public vote, 25% Irish juries and 25% International juries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 835 ✭✭✭dogcat

I believe it's 33% each. And international juries really depend. They can be great or horrid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,221 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Will russia Put in an entry this year? Ukraine may cause an issue this year perhaps.

• Advertisement

Our 4th and 5th songs were picked tonight

Moldova

Remember 'grandmamma beats the drums'? It's these guys! Finished 6th in 2005 and and 12th in 2011. Somehow I don't think they'll be repeating those feats this time around.

Spain

I think this is good, but will it really stand out enough on the night? Got Eleni Foureira vibes from the dance routine too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

Did anyone see what Spain did this year? Some kind of Benidorm fest? Wish Ireland could modernise the way we pick the Eurovision song - why is it on the Late Late Show? Audience, wrong. Format, wrong. Tubridy as a Eurosong host, wrong, wrong, wrong.

Ireland is full to the brim of musical talents. There is no way the only talent we could muster involves Nicki Byrne, Brendan Murray, etc. RTÉ is a mess with our Eurovision entries - another bland bunch. It will all depend on live vocal on the night - send the best performer. I wouldn’t put my money on that being the Brooke song…poor chorus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭RoTelly

Listing to the 6 Irish entries I feel that RTÉ didn't watch last years eurovision. Basing it on last year alone none of the Irish options have a chance to even get to the final. IMO.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭LordBasil

Running Order for LLS Eurosong;

1. Patrick
    2. Janet
    3. Brendan
    4. Miles
    5. Rachel
    6. Brooke

Above was drawn at random, positions have been confirmed by contestants on their social media pages. Not sure if it will matter much with only 6 songs but doesn't hurt Brooke's chances.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Great to see that it's on the late late as that's proven to be a winning formula in the past, best to stick with the tried and trusted.

😐

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,301 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Brooke last could be good...will be fresh in voters memory hope she is good live!

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Amik

Sanremo kicked off last night. Entries quite weak compared to last year in my opinion.

This is how I imagine my Sanremo performance would look like...

Have Russia picked a song yet?

In fairness you might actually be in with a chance of getting to the final. Good luck next year.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 835 ✭✭✭dogcat

The Irish selection will be tonight. Anyone have any idea of how much a vote'll cost?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Brookes song is terrible. Rachel Goodes is the best of a bad lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Just realised Patrick O'Sullivan is the lad who won Last Singer Standing....so that's why Nicky Byrne is involved...

So if you have 200 or so entries and you choosing them blind.... and it just happens that a presenter RTÉ seem to be forcing on the public happens to be involved in a TV show where the winner ends up being the singer of the song he wrote goes forward for the national song contest.... what are the odds?

______

Yesterday

I think it is excellent (well compared to the rest) no idea if it will be good live.

The Rachel Goode song is utterly horrendous...it is the same songwriters as another Eurovision song called the ride....it sounds really similar and bombed in the semis...so would this if we picked it imo

• Advertisement

Sure it's a pure coincidence....lol.

I think 320+ entries...the just happen to pick one Nicky Byrne involved in....lol...in fairness the other writers are the guy from the coronas and a lad from all Tvvins (who actually would be a decent act to send to Eurovision)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 823 ✭✭✭Liberty_Bear

To be honest Brookes song is the strongest

There were stronger songs in the national selection pool (Jedward and the high Kings)

I think out of the songs so far Spain have a strong contender

Anyone watching San Remo tomorrow?>

I can't see Spain doing much to be honest. By the end of March we'll surely have two or three similar, superior songs that'll be tapping into the same market. I'm guessing they'll finish something like 10th in the televote and 18th with juries for a 16th position overall.

Mahmood & Blanco the heavy favourites to win San Remo

It's basically the polar opposite of Soldi. Somehow I don't predict a similar result if it gets picked.

Czech Republic still have the best song in this admittedly early stage of the competition.

Did they enter this year? How did you manage to hear them?

Got asked to do a preliminary listen of some of the entries of people I know entering songs

In a tried and trusted formula to make sure Ireland bomb the Eurovision, the Late Late Show will take a trip down memory lane, we’ll have Ryan Tubridy reminisce with the Eurovision stars of the past about the glory days. Some of the past hits will be played in the studio with audience sing alongs…

Then we’ll listen to the 6 finalists from this year & wonder where did it all go wrong. There won’t be any discussion about current Eurovision acts or even successful artists from the last decade that have won or finished in the top 10. One will be picked and that will be that.

I hope I’m wrong - a strong live vocalist is needed this year for any of the songs to sound respectable. Tbh some of these vocalists should come back next year with better songs. Rachel Goode seems like a great singer as is Janet Grogan and Patrick O’Sullivan but my goodness I cannot stand the Goode song, it’s terrible,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,674 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

I think Miles Graham's song has the most personality to be honest. It's the only one that will catch the Eurovision eye.

I agree, yet most rankings have it dead last 😬

• Advertisement

That might be the case but its not a fit for Eurovision

Advertisement