Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eurovision Song Contest 2022

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Once Ukraine don't win its all good! That shite we sent was never getting in it's not "European" enough to get any broader attention for votes.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Oh it was him!

It's years since I seen it on some programme, they said he finished second, was clever and it nearly worked.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭BaywatchHQ

Scorned women singing about their ex boyfriends doesn't prevail this time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,944 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Jedward were the one real Eurovision act we actually sent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭squarecircles

yes and this clearly proves once and for all,its our geographical location thats the problem. We have no affinity or cultural connection to anything on the mainland continent. Even Iceland can qualify,an island further north and more remote,but because of their cultural affinity with scandinavia,they get votes.

and will do it all again next year in a cramped corner of a broom cuboard of a chat show for elderly people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭captbarnacles

Holamibebebe

• Registered Users Posts: 33,752 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,925 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

Despite not qualifying, really looking through to the final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 772 ✭✭✭RonanG86

Didn't think our song was great (she was eating her own voice in the verse), but by Jaysus that was a fairly bland selection she was up against and I thought she deserved to go through.

Three whiny male vocal songs at least two of which sounded interchangeable and I actually can't remember Estonia or Romania they made such little impression.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,301 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Jedward did us zero harm...they qualified for the final both times.

There is a difference between a novelty/quirky act and taking the piss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,612 ✭✭✭archfi

The only songs overall that have grabbed my attention in any way:

Portugal

Czechia

France

Italy

All 4 and about 6 others are way better than Ukraine who, unfortunately will win.

I think I'll go on the piss for the FA cup final instead.

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

I thought Brooke vocally was very good. Many of the singers tonight were out of key, including Sweden where I find it infuriating that she’s singing a song in which she struggles to hit the notes properly in the chorus and husks her voice to cover this. I like the Swedish song but the vocal delivery isn’t that strong tbh.

edit: I might just repeat that I’m also not a fan of Brooke’s song but it’s better than some than qualified. Thought tonight’s semi final was piss poor overall with many big hitters of late like Azerbaijan sending rubbish and still qualifying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 772 ✭✭✭RonanG86

Jedward (generally speaking not a fan btw) were 7th first time out weren't they? Imagine that now.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭Cody montana

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,661 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Europeans view Ireland like everyone views the brits....we are not liked anymore....

We used to be a novelty, an interesting curiosity....now we are up our own holes and they know it!

We need Russia to invade us if we are ever to have a hope of winning again.

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

You didn't listen to any of the actual lyrics of the songs that qualified did you....

What do you think the Sweden song for example (second favourite and sailed through) is about?

"Well, maybe you're right, I'll find someone else

You say it isn't me, but when did that ever help?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭wylo

Ireland will never do well until we have the balls to put forward a song that isn’t a desperate attempt to be “eurovisiony”. Just a normal song, or alternate one, or even an Irish ballad or something. I promise you something less try hardy would do better.

The Brits who are 5th in the betting?

We will do well again when we send something genuinely interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,000 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

Pi$$ing off half of the potential voters. Alienating potential voters is never a good thing. But it was never that.

Continental countries always get huge ethnic votes from neighbours. The voting system is disadvantageous to Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,661 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Ill be honest...i have no idea about their song....but going on previous showings....im sure it will null point territory again for them

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

That fella Sean Nos that do be on TG4 is very good. We could get him

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Vivienne23

very disappointed we didn’t get through , if you look at the majority of the songs , we are back to power ballads again

Eurovision changes every few years the style of music and Ireland seem to be just behind the curve every time, I don’t blame Brooke in the slightest , she gave it her all and should be proud of her achievements , I have no doubt a couple of years ago she would have been in the final

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭pnott

Lol it’s just a ‘song’ contest. So we didn’t qualify neither did 14 other countries. Life moves on. I am looking forward to Saturday’s final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

There's no conspiracy, our song was grand but it was more like the Eurovision 10 years ago. When we were sending a Turkey.

The Europeans take it seriously, they enter modern songs with aspiring or established artists.

We don't value the Eurovision. Hozier wouldn't have been thinking the Eurovision could be his big break back in the day but Europeans do view it like that and that's the type of talent they enter.

Ya but not so much better that those 5 would not be sitting at home saying "we were better than Ireland" if we went through. It was tight mediocre margins really.

You clearly don't and it wont. Other countries have gone from regularly doing poorly to winning...like the Netherlands...I don't think they made a final 8 years in a row.

I also think people can tell the difference between Ireland and the UK, that ain't the issue. Send a better song and act and we will do better.

• Ireland needs Phil Coulter to dig us out of the hole we're in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,532 ✭✭✭touts

Don't underestimate Jedward lads. At the time they were professional performers with a track record. They might have been annoying as hell but they knew exactly what they were at and how to win over fans. Ever since we have sent a parade of clueless amateurs who no one ever heard of before or since. This year is no difference. We need to stop sending acts who are the answer to a tough table quiz question. "Who was this year's entry in Eurovision?" Most of the country couldn't answer it if they were in a quiz this Saturday night. In three months she'll be serving the drinks behind the bar at a quiz where she is the answer and she'll be the only one there who knows the answer. It costs hundreds of thousands of euro to send the Irish delegation on the piss for a week to the Eurovision and we seem to be committed to having to send them on their junket so we might as well send professionals.

Advertisement