Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eurovision Song Contest 2022

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,105 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Jaysus.

You know, I’ve never been one for giving sympathy votes, etc. :D

Make love to me, Europe!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭captbarnacles

• Registered Users Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭RoryMac

You're over thinking the reasons for us not getting votes, we sent an ok song that didn't really stand out. Thought Brooke's performance on the night was pretty good compared to the rehearsals that I heard during the week which sounded awful.

If we send a good song and confident performer we'll get good results

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭captbarnacles

There was no attack on Brooke in that post though. He pointed out the gulf in class between Brooke and other singers in the contest which is 100% true.

To give you an idea how far away we are listen to Amanda Tenfjord for Greece. She's a 300-1 shot!! and is in an entirely different league to Brooke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Expunge

I'm not so sure we actually have much of an indigenous "pop" tradition anymore in this country.

Yes, you could point to Louis Walsh's constructions of the noughties but let's face it, all the work, production and management was done from the UK and US.

The "pop" infrastructure probably went out the Swarbriggs, Linda Martin and CHips - and they were relics of the Showband era, which is a lifetime and more ago. The likes of the Swedes (not a huge country) have kept their infrastructure - we have subcontracted ours out to the Brits and the Americans.

We have lots of jangly guitar led music and angsty female and male singers but no pop - and there is a lack of strength in depth as a result in the pop department.

So, leave that and look at other genres. Start with the genre and match very very good talent to that.

The aim is to qualify for a final on a regular basis because this show still delivers monster domestic audiences.

Graham Norton once described Eurovision as Europe's Superbowl and RTE should really really want to play the best players in this - not go on the piss for a week somewhere nice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,944 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Ya true. Its about as rap as most of the rock songs are rock

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

We consistently finish last in either the semis or finals itself on the rare occasions we make it.

There's such a broad mix of songs that got through...our song definitely wasn't the worst.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭penny piper

I actually thought Australia, Poland,Belguim,Sweden,Estonia were all very good....

Ireland should stick with what it's good at which is a good catchy ballad.....big chorus...something the audience doesn't forgot....

The Irish entry just wasn't good enough and sounded dated....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭AyeGer

Maybe Ireland should try Drill Rap next year. Get a few bucks from Blanch on the case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

On Linda Martin delivering the Irish vote tomorrow night....

We all know that Sweden take the Eurovision very seriously and it is a hugely popular event with the Swedish public. Linda became a big news story there when she won in Malmo in 1992, with 'Why Me?'.

The following year, close to Christmas, I was working in Malmo and some of my Swedish colleagues asked about our work Christmas party, back in Dublin. We were going to one of the mass corporate big night out events, held at The Royal Marine Hotel in Dunlaoghaire - as it happened, Linda was the live entertainment, before the DJ was due to take over for the end of the night. When my Swedish colleagues heard this, they were amazed at how our small company in Dublin could arrange to have a Eurovision winner sing at our Christmas party.

I didn't have the heart to tell them that we were one party table in a hall of hundreds and that Linda wasn't as big back home as they thought she should be. The Eurovision win may have done wonders for her career in Europe, but back home it merely resulted in a slight move up from the chicken and chips cabaret night out in The Belgard Inn, to slightly bigger corporate events.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,475 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

I guarantee sending Denise Chaila will turn heads. Sexy, beautiful, new Irish and modern music.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭rolling boh

The song was just about mediocre and the performance I thought was OK she gave it her best shot .It's unlikely Brooke will have a career in music singers like her are ten a penny .We will not figure at all with part time performers with very average songs .

Yeah and her record company and management will tell her "don't come home, if you do that f**king thing"

We are not "good" at catchy ballads though. Or at least I see no evidence to suggest we are.

I'd agree it wasn't the worst but it was far from a standout song and even allowing for bias it was borderline for getting into the top 10.

We seem to consistently send songs and performers that a committee decide on and how they perform on stage rather than having a band/artist come in with confidence in their own talent and ideas around staging. I think as someone said earlier we just view the competition differently from a lot of Europe and the interest isn't their from established experienced acts to go forward for it

Here are a couple of sproblems I have noticed from the RTE selection web page ......

Submit your entry to the Eurovision Song Contest 2022 (rte.ie)

"If you are an accomplished songwriter with a proven track record of success in the music industry, we would like you to submit a song together with a suitable performer(s) to be considered to represent Ireland.

All songs must be submitted with an artist(s) already attached, artists must have the talent, drive and ambition to compete at the highest level before a global audience of over 200 million people."

So the songwriter gets to pick the artist to sing it. I'm not sure that's the best way to go about this.

"Entries will be considered by a panel of music and entertainment industry professionals and Eurovision fans. Selected artists may be invited to audition in the RTÉ studios in Dublin." - Well, that could be anyone.

"Although we wish to encourage and identify promising new talent for the future, this is probably not an opportunity for beginners or people with limited or no experience of performing in public to large crowds." With the greatest of respect to Brooke, I think she probably comes into the "limited experience" category - although she did her best.

I'm sure Michael Kealy, RTE's Head of Delegation is a nice person and wants success as much as anyone but making a few radio documentaries and being executive of the Late Late Show in serious decline for a few seasons really does not qualify him in any serious way for the role, it would seem.

There's a bang of "this is how we've always done it" from the RTE selection process.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭sam t smith

Was this a literal or figurative ‘shat himself’?

Hopefully the latter, for the audiences sake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭johnire

The point that everyone seems to be forgetting and not one to pour oil on troubled waters but the citizens of Brooke Scullions own country were eligible to vote for her and even with this huge advantage she still couldn’t qualify. How mortifying is that?

But most of the citizens of her own country don't understand that she is from their country and don't really care about Eurovision that much anyway.

On top of that every Irish act has always had the advantage of the UK vote so it's no more mortifying than any other year

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭Juran

• Advertisement

I noticed BBC NI sent over a reporter and even did a live Q and A into their Newsline show yesterday evening. You can't say she didn't get a good push with resources in the north.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,887 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Do they? Are we always paired in same Semi as UK?

I thought this year having Australia and UK voting on same night might be helpful.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I think it was a bit disappointing that Brooke's entry didn't make the cut for the final - it was certainly a much better song than last year - but as the others opined, in the general scheme of songs performed it was really only average. I do also think, however, that inferior songs did get through, like Romania and Belgium. Sweden IMO was the best song performed last night.

I do think she gave it her all and the staging was good but we really need to put forward some better artists if we are to have a decent chance. Ireland does not take Eurovision seriously enough and hasn't for years now, the same problem exists with the UK.

Post edited by JupiterKid on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

so Ukraine are going to win?? 😐️

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,958 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Liam Reilly would have been turning in his grave listening to that attempt last night.

Had another listen to Somewhere in Europe, fantastic song.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,352 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Why didn’t we submit a song in Ukrainian language?? We would have qualified then. Or at least a song taking the pi$s out of Russia. Next year we should do this.

I'd be surprised if they don't get 12 points from every jury, public voting probably follow the same pattern

If they can't host next year it should really be offered to second place (the real winner)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

it could be held in a underground bunker perhaps? 😶

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭LordBasil

Maybe part of the reason Ireland didn't qualify is that Europeans might not have understood the meaning of 'That's Rich when it's coming from you', kind of like how 'Dying to try' was a bit lost on people. The lesson is do not send a song to ESC that revolves around a phrase that Europeans might not know.

Advertisement