Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Zirkonia vs Titanium Crowns (I am really confused about implants)

• 07-12-2021 9:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hello everyone,

first time writing here.

I need an implant placed as I got my tooth extracted more than a year ago. My dentist has the option of either Straumann Roxolid SLActive or Camlog (less known much cheaper alternative). Honestly, I don't care but prefer to go with Straumann. I would ideally like to go for a full titanium implant. Unfortunately there are no options to get a Titanium Crown as my dentist only works with Zirkonia crowns.

From what I have been reading on the internet, the Zirkonia implants are usually one piece. How does that fit in with my situation. I am completly confused as even when I google Zirkonia crowns vs Titanium Crowns I get search results for full Zirkonia implants (1 piece). 

Do I get it correctly that what my dentist is offering me is basically an implant from Straumann which is 3 pieces (Implant+Abutment both Titanium) but the crown only from Zirkonia? In case (years later) the crown fractures, as I understand Zirkonia is more brittle than metal/titanium, will I have the option of replacing it with a titanium crown? Will the entire Implant need to be replaced?

Any and all help is appreciated.

Thank you very much

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,769 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Please do not be concerned.

You are correct, the implant comes in 3 parts. The implant itself is titanium, as is the abutment/connector. The cosmetic part you can see when you smile is called the crown, this can be either bonded (a combination of metal with a porcelain outer shell) or Zirconium with a porcelain outer shell. I prefer using zirconium myself unless a bonded crown is indicated due to bite issues. Don’t worry, the zirconium crowns look great and are extremely strong. They cost a bit more in laboratory fees but if the tooth is anywhere near the front of your mouth, it is worth it.

Advertisement