Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you need help with researching an individual's Irish War of Independence activities?

Options
  • 08-12-2021 1:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭

Hi all,

I am an amateur local historian. I'd like to offer anyone who would like to find out more about a relative/individual who was involved in the Irish War of Independence a free detailed search and presentation of my findings of that individual via private email/PM.

Over the last ten years, I've spent a lot of time researching the Irish War of Independence (WOI) and particularly individuals involved on a local level. I've written articles for journals and magazines, erected a plaque and helped many interested parties out with discovering their relative's involvement. I can of course share any of my articles if requested.

My own motivation for beginning to research was to find out my great grandfathers involvement in the WOI. My grandmother always told me stories, back when I was a young teenager, (in my 40s now), and at that time I didn't care/listen. A know it all teenager with more important matters like video games and drinking dismissed an old woman's rambles. Some years after she died, when I matured a bit, I decided to research the few stories I remembered. The internet gave me a starting point, and after visits to the National Archives in both Dublin and Kent, London and places such as Spike Island prison in Cork, I could confirm the stories that I remembered she told me were all true, simplified through storytelling over the years but the main point was there. Persistent and detailed research made me discover so much more, adding eventually to the history of my own region through local publications and bringing local history (especially local individuals) back into the public eye of my birthplace. I wished my gran were still here so I could show her everything I found and discuss it/add to her knowledge.

Since then, I have loved researching on a local level and it's very rewarding. I've discovered so much about local histories, made a lot of friends and learnt so much over the years about the importance of national history from discovery to reconciliation. Overall most rewarding was when I recently helped an elderly man from a small town in Tipp discover his father's deep involvement in the WOI, closure on lifelong questions he had, he told me.

Even just rumours/old stories can be checked out. This would just be for the period 1917 until the truce in July 1921. Military archives both online and offline. newspapers, witness testimonies etc would be investigated. The republican side of events only, so I'm afraid I can't help with RIC, British forces, However, I believe I can point you in the right direction for info. Just ask. Truce period/Civil War I can't help with.

Results would take a few weeks per request as it's just a hobby. All queries would be answered privately and discussed but depending on the number of requests, this may take time. Whatever results/non-findings are provided, would be private, just those of an amateur local historian and not final. More research is always possible and recommended. I've seen that some findings have upset those who requested research before, and some records which are available publically now were written by men and women who never wanted to share their stories (particularly those who told their stories just for a pension). However, all files researched would only be those made public under Irish and UK (a lot of Irish WOI archives are in London) law.

With the individuals, I've been requested to research so far since 2018, (8 so far from Cork, Tipp, Dublin and Kerry), I found detailed unknown info for each, one of which is currently writing about the findings to his local newspaper and one more who last August brought his son on a journey to discover all of the places their ancestor participated in the WOI. A couple of the findings were poignant/underwhelming for the families, but they assured me the findings were important to them and cherished the documents provided.

In case the stories/info you have brings up no results doesn't mean your raw info is untrue or unfounded. It just means that it wasn't recorded or found by me. Much has been forgotten, both accidentally and purposefully due to the effects of time and war. More is likely out there somewhere, waiting to be discovered.

Will answer any general questions on the thread, any personal please PM me.

@ admin. Please forward/move this to the appropriate forums if this is the wrong place.Thanks.

Edited to add that the offer will end on 31/12.21 as I plan to start a new project. Extra queries may be looked at eventually but I won't be checking much on boarde.ie from 2022 on.

Post edited by nevisgod on

Comments

Advertisement