Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Verbally Abusive Worker of Place I Clean, Advice?

Options
  • 08-12-2021 11:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,622 ✭✭✭

I'll try to explain.

I'm a contract cleaner. I am assigned numerous different locations at certain times of the day to clean. I go in, I do the job for the specified time, and I leave to go to the next place, so on and so forth.

At the moment I'm cleaning a bathroom suite shop (similar to Tubs and Tiles).

Their manager has a lad that comes in and breaks down old suites to rebuild new ones to go on display. He also provides some equipment for use within the store. So he's like the dedicated handyman for the shop (honestly don't know what I'd call his occupation but you probably got an idea from what I described)

One of those pieces of equipment is a buffing machine. I'm assigned to use this machine every Wednesday morning to buff the floors of the shop. My boss doesn't provide this store with the equipment (don't know why. Not my business).

So last week, while using the machine, I finished one area and I pulled the handle up so that I could wheel it to the next area. Once I got to that area, I attempted to bring the handle down so that I could use it. Unfortunately the hinge wouldn't click into place. Something must've came off.

I brought this to the attention of the worker I mentioned. What I was met with really took me aback. He started swearing and shouting at me, telling me "This F'ng cost me €1,000. I don't buy this stuff just do you can F'ing break it". He walked to the machine and I followed. The whole time he was swearing to himself, giving out in front of customers. He made an attempt to use it and he dropped it in anger and started swearing at me, telling me I owe him a thousand euro for the breakage. I told him I didn't break anything, this just happened as I was using it normally. He didn't believe me and he continued to swear and shout.

I walked away at this point. I went to the manager of the store, and I told him about the situation, saying he was being very unprofessional and very aggressive. He told me he'd talk to him. At this point I'd ran up my hours so I signed out and headed off.

A week later (today), it's buffing day. I asked the manager if the machine was fixed. He said yeah, and the guy was able to get parts for it. So I assumed great. No issues. I bumped into the aforementioned lad later on and he brought up last week.

"I didn't shout at you, I was explaining that the machine was very expensive. When you bring the handle down you're not supposed to slam it down.." (that didn't happen) "..next time learn to use these things properly".

I responded "I don't care how much your machine cost. I was using it normally. I didn't slam anything. The matter was resolved and the machine is fixed. This is the end of the matter I don't want to discuss it anymore"

As I walked away,I heard him muttering "yeah yeah whatever.. f*cking asshole"

This was 20 mins ago and I've spent the last 10 of those minutes writing this thread because I'm f*cking livid that I don't know who to go to about this. I don't want to go to my boss because she will gaslight me and tell me I should've kept my mouth shut, and she'll pull me from this place and put me somewhere else. I don't know if I should go to this store manager and tell him because he will likely slip it to my boss and the original scenario will happen.

SHOULD I say something to someone? Is this a pointless scenario? What happens if I go and use this machine and it does the same thing as last time? I don't want a repeat of that. It gave me a lot of anxiety going forward and I was dreading today. I like being here and this lad is figuratively in my f*cking way.

According to another employee in here, apparently he's always like this - cranky, moody. I'd accept that if he wasn't verbally unhinged like he was last week and this morning. He's making me uncomfortable and I'm dreading using this bloody machine.

Sorry if I went off on one.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,802 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Your manager is responsible for providing you with a safe place of work.

Report it and say you spoke to the manager but it has been repeated

• Registered Users Posts: 3,622 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

In that case I'll bring it to the store manager here that he continued his mouth from last week this morning.

I hate all of this. I just want to go in, do the job and leave. This shouldn't be something I (or anyone) have to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,802 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

• Registered Users Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

It's the stores machine not his. Personally I'd leave it and let it go. If the guy causes more problems then talk to your manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

You should go back and tell the manager he's still abusing you.

I'm sorry to hear you have to deal with this. I understand it must be upsetting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭kravmaga

This is Harassment and Bullying in the workplace , so your employer has a duty of care to provide you with a a safe place of work.

This is all covered in the Health and Safety Act 2005 as amended by further SI.

REFUSE TO GO TO THAT CONTRACT PREMISES, grounds are your being abused and harassed, tell your boss you will escalate to an Employment Law solicitor if they force you to go to said contract premises. This is 2021 not the 1980's .the legislation here

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Maybe give it one more go if the abuse carries on say it to the manager if you can't avoid working there .

That might well be the end of it, mention it to the local manager and tll him you wont stand for it again and hopefully youll ride it out with no further occurrences- i think youve handled yourself well so far

Advertisement