Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bulpup shotgun

Options
  • 08-12-2021 5:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Hi there lads so I was thinking about buying a bulpup shotgun and was thinking weather or not I could get a license I know that they are restricted however what reason could I give to requiring a gun with the magazine behind the trigger I plan to attend target shot gun with it and believe this may be a good reason

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,049 ✭✭✭clivej

You'll need a restricted license to be able to buy the target slugs. And target shooting is your good reason to own.

Don't over think the shotgun you need for the comps.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,987 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

A bullpup isn't really a good choice for Target shotgun. Short sight radius, right-hand side only[mostly] eject questionable reliability of most or require gunsmithing to get to work 100%reliable[Bar Kel Tec...Mostly], expensive extra mags. Usually too short for comps if you go to the UK where it is min 24ins only barrel length.

The only real convenience is the shortness of the overall gun, great for concealability or defending one's castle,a moot point in shooting competitions.

If you want the convenience of box mag reloading, go for a Mossberg/Remington pump with that feature and have something reliable, out of the box.

If you want a range toy with a wow factor...Knock yourself out!😋

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 1,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭otmmyboy2

No problem with the reason, say you want to do target shotgun style shooting as part of a shooting club/range, with slugs, so you need a restricted shotgun cert.

No further justification needed for a restricted for target shooting honestly.

Never forget, the end goal is zero firearms of any type.

S.I. No. 187/1972 - Firearms (Temporary Custody) Order - Firearms seized

S.I. No. 21/2008 - Firearms (Restricted Firearms and Ammunition) Order 2008 - Firearm types restricted

Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2009 - Firearms banned & grandfathered

S.I. No. 420/2019 - Magazine ban, ammo storage & transport restricted

Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2023 - 2023 Firearm Ban (retroactive to 8 years prior)

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Munsterlad102

Only bullpup rifles are restricted, but shotguns are restricted if they have a pistol grip, or have an folding, collapsing or removable stock, so you'd probably be caught on the pistol grip clause. But then again, there isn't really any point getting a non restricted bullpup shotgun when you can just get an o/u shotgun for a fraction of the price.

Advertisement