Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BoJo banished - Liz Truss down. Is Rishi next for the toaster? **threadbans in OP**

Options

Comments

Let's not forget that Boris Johnson has gotten away with far worse over the years, including far worse lies, yet he was elected with an overwhelming majority with this knowledge in mind.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,620 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Of course he has but lockdown affects everyone. People have lost loved ones and this is the only European country to surpass 150,000 deaths. Meanwhile, Downing St has been laughing at us and partying the night away. Scandals that get forgotten about come and go, this one has been lingering for several weeks now.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

You cannot blame politicians for the death toll of a pandemic. People aren't robots; they behave as they will, with full knowledge of the risks involved. What we can say is that the UK had the fastest and earliest vaccine rollout in Europe, and that is very much a credit to Boris Johnson's government.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,603 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Exactly. Billions on a bridge not built is hard for the average punter to feel particularly troubled by (sure they are all the same) but having to sit at home while a loved one dies alone in hospital, having to postpone your wedding, not seeing your friends and family from abroad for months. That all resonates deeply with people. Even those not directly effected by Covid know people that have been.

We have all missed out on nights at the pub, friends birthdays etc.

And of course it isn't so much that it happened, that has already been factored in. It is that they blatantly lied about it when caught. They tried to brazen it out. They let Allegra take the fall, knowing that they had done far worse.

One can excuse lying because it either doesn't impact you personally, or in these political times once it is getting one over the 'others' then it is worth it. But in lockdown there was supposed to be no 'others'. It was all about saving the NHS, everyone in it together.

Turns out not only were not not in it together, which people would have expected anyway, but they openly lied about it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,620 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I can when they brag about shaking hands with patients while other countries go into lockdown, skip several COBRA meetings to ski and throw lavish parties while people die.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,492 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

It was the earliest, but not the fastest. We know this because, although the UK started first (and therefore was earlier) it has been overtaken by many other countries (including Ireland) and therefore those other countries have been faster.

And it make no sense to say that Johnson deserves credit for decisions which ameliorated the pandemic (like the early rollout of vaccines) but not blame for decisions which exacerbated it (like late or limited implementation of lockdowns or other measures). People behave as they will, but they are in fact limited by government constraints and influenced by government advice and attitudes, and it's absurd to suggest that a government has no responsibility for the ways in which it influences the choices people make.

I'm not saying that, where the UK has performed badly in relation to the pandemic, the Johnson government is entirely to blame for that - other factors than government actions and policies are at work. But it is partly to blame for that, since government actions and policies are at work, and are a signifcant factor.

I didn't argue that Johnson personally deserves the praise; I specifically referred to "Boris Johnson's government". Big difference between the two.

And it's true to argue that other European countries caught up. But it's also true that a greater proportion of people in the UK didn't want to get fully vaccinated in the first place - no matter how many times government was banging on about getting the jab.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,972 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

And they take the lead from Johnson and his government, this is a man who refused constantly to wear a mask even when visiting hospitals or in meetings with other world leaders who were wearing masks. His own party and cabinet took their lead from him and didn't wear masks while in parliament. If he doesn't take covid seriously or obey his own governments advice and rules along with the rest of his party why should the public?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,653 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Although he is a dead man walking Im not sure this latest will be the straw that breaks the camels back, people have known he has been playing fast and loose with the rules for some time now and the axe hasnt been wielded. If he can last to May Id imagine a punishing of the Tories at the local elections will be the what does it as they are likely to get more repeats of the Shropshre by election.

PMQs will be interesting today though, he is going to have to admit and apologise for being at this latest party.

The role of the Met in all this is also highly partisan, like you cant get into Downing St without passing by several layers of their security. 40 people showing up with bottles of wine and six packs doesnt exactly go unnoticed at a police security check. They knew full well that parties were going on and on the same day as this one they had tweeted out how outdoor gatherings were to be with only one other person from outside your household. Now the cat is out of the bag on how they were policing these parties they are saying their policy is not to prosecute people retrospectively. Dame Dick really is in the pocket of the Tories, she owes them for her recent contract extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

I'm seeing a lot of posts on Twitter from people sharing photos and videos of loved ones lost to Covid and who died alone while Boris was having BYOB parties. There's a lot of anger out there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

He could have murdered someone three years ago and got away with it.

The problem now is that we'll over 100 Tory MPs are looking at losing their seats due to his stupidity.

He has lost the crowd and those who thought the sun shone out of his backside realised it was just bright coloured diarrhea.

Even the Torygraph and express have gone against him.

Gone by Easter

Whose fault is that, though? The Tories were happy to perpetuate their culture war BS when it would get them elected. When they then needed people to trust them, they didn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,698 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The UKs awful electoral system gave him "an overwhelming majority" from 43.6%; the people didn't give him it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

It looks like he’s going to wait to be chased with a sweeping brush rather than resign if his own accord

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Ahwell

Yes, you can blame politicians. Estimates for unnecessary deaths due to delays in implementing the first and second lockdowns in the UK are 20,000 and 27,000 respectively.

Boris is an absolute clown but it's weird to see Dominic Cummings now present himself as a good guy to the British public.

Politics really does attract the bottom dwellers from across society.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,718 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

His "apology" was half arsed as you would expect. Tories will shift him out if it looks like they will lose a load of seats in the next election. British press seem to love Sunak bizarrely so they will slot him in I would guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,718 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

On a side point..I don't dislike Starmer (he is eloquent and measured - not sure that plays massively well in England oddly), but every time I see or hear Rayner speak I think she would be a much better leader for the Labour party.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭cheezums

Zero charisma or personality. Labour will never win under him.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,677 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Morgan Freeman voice over: "They tried to say there were no parties but there was...a whole shitload of them"

Post edited by Kermit.de.frog on

• Advertisement

I saw her on the telly when I was at the gym this morning. She was muted but all I could think of when I saw her was her "scum" remarks. I doubt most of the public know who she is. Starmer comes across as bland but capable. Neither are exactly irresistible in terms of getting bodies to polling booths.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

His "apology" was hilarious.

I said he'd be gone by Easter, I'll move that forward to valentine's Day.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,677 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Is every single thing Johnson says either a lie or half truth?

The only bodies that Keir Starmer could inspire to visit polling booths are the recently deceased.

His charisma is zero; his plank standard is level ten.

Starmer makes Ireland's plank-in-chief, Pat Kenny, look like Barack Obama.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

If Labour had been anyway credible or less of a threat to working class communities they would have walked it.

Johnson is a natural salesman and highly charismatic but it was the exceptional effort of turning life long voters in to plumping for a party that many of them hated with a religious fervour that delivered for the Tories.

The approach next time will still be hold the nose and vote Tory.

Labour must appear less arrogant, less snobbish, more capable, somewhat understanding of the working class etc to have a chance.

That's probably a good few more years to go.

Problem for Johnson is there were so many parties, so much nonsense, that the next story is already bubbling beneath the surface and the one after that.

Her performances at the dispatch box have been very good recently.

She might be a very good leader for labour in 10 years, that's not meant disrespectfully. Lack of experience shows a bit still.

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭Burt Renaults

He doesn't strike me as being capable at all. Certainly not capable of winning an election, despite all the open goals Johnson provides for him. Blandness would be forgivable if he had something else in his favour, like a brilliant political mind, but there doesn't seem to be a lot going on there. I genuinely think Labour members voted for him because he sort of looks like a prime minister. One of Corbyn's biggest mistakes was not having a ready-made left-leaning-but-palatable successor waiting in the wings when he quit - which should ideally have happened in 2017, after he took the party as far as the British establishment was ever going to allow him to.

In fairness, the man was a QC. Johnson, by contrast had everything handed to him and failed solely upwards. Winning an election and governing a country require wildly differing skillsets. It's quite rare to find anyone with a good command of one, never mind both. Even if Starmer were to go, who would replace him? Andy Burnham springs to mind but he seems happy enough as mayor of Manchester.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

So-called "lockdowns" made things worse, so it didn't exacerbate anything. That said, imposing totalitarian restrictions and ignoring them himself should see him face the ultimate punishment.

Advertisement