Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BoJo banished - Liz Truss down. Is Rishi next for the toaster? **threadbans in OP**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,045 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Then why is Liz Truss tasked with chatting to the EU still?

Yet again we're seeing the fall of someone, not because of the crime but because of the cover-up. It never ceases to amaze me just how often this happens.

It's fascinating.

What we're seeing here isn't a condemnation of Boris Johnson, it's just Remainers who refuse to accept the result of the referendum.

And yes, that means denying that Brexit has ever happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,653 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Bookies have Sunak as the favourite to be the next PM at 7/4, Truss on 10/3, Gove 14/1 and for some reason Patel is way out on 25/1. There is not really much value in Sunak there even though Id say he would likely beat Truss. Who knows though, there was a recent opinion poll of party members and Truss was the most popular with the grass roots.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I think the "remainers" are not refusing to accept the result. They may refuse to accept the economic, social and other fallouts from it though.

Even the use of terms such as "leavers" and "remainers" (or "remoaners") shows that the entire argument is simply playground politics and is not getting the proper mature discussion required.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

For some reason Patel is 25/1? I would have thought it was obvious given her horrendous personality and psychopathic lack of empathy.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,625 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

It's only yourself that keeps bringing up a referendum from over half a decade ago. The rest of us have moved on.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

Always gotta be "us" vs "them" for some people.. no one wins with this nonsense - it's how you end up with someone like Boris in the first place. How the actual fuk can anyone stand behind such an entitled lying immoral gobshyte like him?

How can any UK resident defend someone who treats the people with such contempt? Over and over and people just seem to lap it up. Amazing really.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,232 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Because they treat people with contempt themselves.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

This is it. It's just divisive bollocks. Same with those who dismiss people as being 'woke', 'virtue signaling' etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Ahwell

In the poll of party members Patel has a -1.5 rating. While Truss is way out in front in that poll, another poll asking the general public how they would vote if different people led the Conservative - having Truss as leader would give Labour a 16-point lead. Which was even worse than Johnson who would give Labour 12-points advantage. Rishi Sunak would have the most positive effect, cutting the lead to just three points.

Explain how remainers aren't accepting the referendum? And how that relates to Liz Truss talking to the EU?

Why is Liz Truss still talking to the EU?

Whatever it is I'm sure it's the EU's fault and that they should just accept the Brexit referendum result.

Or something like that.

The EU have accepted the result. It's the Brits that are having trouble with it, both "leavers" and "remainers".

I was hoping my second sentence would give away that I was being sarcastic 😬

Yeah that poll showing Truss in the lead is a bit of a head scratcher but she does seem to have popularity among the grassroots. There was another poll on Sunday by Sky News among 1,005 party members who thought Sunak is Boris best replacement so its a bit up in the air.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Liz is popular with the party. All she has to do is survive the drop the hindmost rounds in the MP's votes. And 25% is more than the next 4 hopefuls combined.

But ..

Conservative Home poll. With more choices to spread the votes.

"Penny Mordaunt got nine per cent and Steve Baker eight per cent" even so both front runners are ahead. But as anyone who watches an Irish election knows it's all about the transfers.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

I wonder will the Queen get an invite to Boris's leaving drinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,677 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭Economics101

When I see the serious consequences of "Golfgate" here in 2020, resulting in an EU Commissioner reigning and now a prosecution in the courts, it seems to me that we have rather more rigorous standards than the UK. Who'd have thunk?

Fintan O'Toole had a piece in the IT last week about Irish politics being less corrupt than Britain's. He was mostly talking about cronyism in awarding Covid/PPE contracts, but basically a similar point.

The real question is have they got worse, or have we got better? Personally I think it's a bit of both.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Truss is very good with people, Sunak has a weak spot one in one or working a room by all accounts.

Yeah its a fair point though Phil Hogan did try to brazen out his golf tour of Ireland for several weeks until he had to go for lying to Ursula von der Leyen over his movements, he got caught rotten when it came out that he was caught speeding in Kildare when he had said he was in Clare.

But the Tories recently with Owen Patterson seem to have adopted the brazen it out approach, they were even willing to change the rules governing MPs to get him off the hook. Whereas back in 2009 nearly 20 MPs including the Speaker of the House resigned over the expenses scandal. Around about that time we were listening to Bertie claiming he didnt have a bank account when he was Minster for Finance.

yeah she must have something going for her if a sizable amount of the membership see her has a viable leader. I just find it hard to get past her speech on British cheese a few years ago, it was jaw dropping stuff. She seems to have the backing of the ERG despite her being a Remainer, they are a sizable block who will be able to get her into a run off vs Sunak.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭FromADistance

Boris won't be resigning of his own accord... his career would have been well over now if that was the case. He'll continue to ride this out unless there's a heave and it does look like it's coming sooner rather than later. A leopard doesn't change its spots.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,703 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The PDs (shudder I hate the idea of possibly complimenting those neoliberal loons.... twice in a day too, as smog came up in conversation offline earlier) influence on the 1997-2002 Government* brought in a standard/expectation of political probity here that's amongst the highest in Europe; higher than anyone but the Scandinvians I'd say. We went from looking at the UK as somewhere where politicians messed up resigned and ours never did; to somewhere where their politicians hold on to grim death and ours walk. And have learned the power of the tactical walk - Dara Calleary will be back because he walked fast over Golfgate.

*Burke would never have resigned his Dail seat in old-FF eras, if even resigning from FF; but he had to due to the setup at the time. Lawlor would have stayed in FF, Bertie would have had no pressure over his issues etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭Economics101

I don't think that the PDs were quite as fundamental as you say: they were a symptom of a larger and longer process. First, it is virtually impossible not to have coalition governments under PR, and government parties have to be very careful about giving their coalition partners cause for complaint. Second, the increasingly more educated electorate has become much less tolerant or "cute hoorism" (there are exceptions which I won't name).

Given that small countries are inherently more prone to cronyism (everyone knows everyone else), not a bad outcome. Makes Boris and his crew look really shabby (as well as totally inept, even by the standard of Irish politics).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

A great photo to liven up a dull morning!! 😃

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Northernlily

Operation Save Big Dog. Surely a joke😂😂

In these circumstances I think it really shows the strength of the electoral systems that are in place in both countries.

Take golfgate, for example. FG and FF had to act on that occasion because there was the threat of the Greens bringing down the government if they didn't. Or, if one of FG/FF acted and the other didn't, then there's the threat from there too. These coalitions with different parties with different ideologies, for the most part, encourages some form of accountability when something like this happens.

However in the UK, the Tories have an 80-seat majority. What are the opposition going to do if Boris doesn't resign? **** all, because there is nothing they can do if the Tories just back each other to the hilt and hope the public forgets about it when 2024 comes around. The Tories are in this position because of an out-dated electoral system whereby the share of the vote is nowhere near proportional to the share of the seats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,878 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I know I’ve said it before but every MP in the government party should watch yes, minister and yes, prime minister because it’s a timeless comedy and in some ways a documentary given that the writers were getting info from within Whitehall.

Advertisement