Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BoJo banished - Liz Truss down. Is Rishi next for the toaster? **threadbans in OP**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,653 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Given she is only 47 that pension of £115,000 has to be worth somewhere in the order of £3m-£4m.. That is some wedge for 44 days work

I saw that on Sky, man I seriously doubt the Tory party are properly set up in IT terms to ensure that vote is secure with the vote happening so quickly from Monday onwards. This is exactly the type of scenario that Putin is set up for

• Registered Users Posts: 19,233 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

@Muahahaha

Given she is only 47 that pension of £115,000 has to be worth somewhere in the order of £3m-£4m.. That is some wedge for 44 days work

It's downright fucking criminal.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,517 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

A friend said this a few weeks back and I laughed, I am still laughing...but not in a funny way at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,863 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

He could create a crisis that is worse for himself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭Shelga

Why wouldn’t Boris reach the 100 MPs threshold? They’re completely, utterly batshit crazy. Lots of them love him, no? If he makes it to the membership vote, he’ll win. Couldn’t they just have said that being booted out in the last year automatically disqualifies you?? They seem to be able to change the rules willy nilly as it is.

Imagine, if Boris comes back, we’ll be stuck with both him and Leo as leaders of our respective countries in 2023, AGAIN… 🤦🏻‍♀️

it won’t go to the members. I think they’re just saying that to try to calm them down. There’ll be behind the scenes chats next week such that everyone behind the front runner drops out

• Registered Users Posts: 22,409 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

He shouldn't have the time. He's still an MP. He shouldn't be on holiday while parliament is in session.

All of his constituents are unrepresented while he's off on holidays (not that they were properly represented in the first place)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,554 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Political analyst on RTE Six One was saying this - she thinks the PM could be decided by as soon as Monday evening.

I suppose the 3rd worst ever PM is better than the 2nd worst ever PM

• Advertisement

Unless it's a Facebook poll half of the voters won't be able to figure out how to sign in to vote

• Registered Users Posts: 7,144 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

I can only imagine the behind the scenes activity that has been kicked off today and will be relentlessly going on until Monday morning.

I think the strategy at this point will be for Sunak and Mordaunt to try and get more than 258 nominations between them so as to deny Johnson any mathematical chance of reaching 100 himself.

The 2nd worst died in the chair…so doesn’t really count

• Registered Users Posts: 13,464 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Correct me if I'm wrong, but did any legislation get passed while Truss was PM? The collapse was largely due to the mini-budget, which didn't go into effect, did it? Or did parts of it go into effect that no-one objected to? Basically, she showed to the Torys what she would do, and they freaked.

Because it seems like Truss got booted because of appearances, not actions. Unlike BoJo who did all sorts of things and whose government enacted all kinds of zany legislation (pint symbols, crowns, vicious anti-asylum seekers regulations, ...)

her ideas alone were enough to send UK borrowing costs through the roof, with a real impact on everyone’s wallet

boris never had the detrimental impact in such a short time as truss did

Again, just appearances though. No actual actions?

What a fragile system imo. Maybe the Tory's are just dead, Bojo sucked the life out of them and they simply freak out whenever there's anything bad that can be attributed to them. I don't know, I don't understand how the mini-budget could crash the gilt yields and spike mortgage rates so quickly, when nothing actually happened.

Strange. Not a stable place, the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,228 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

This is what House of Cards should of been

• Registered Users Posts: 17,972 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

I wouldnt put it past Cruella trying to muddy the waters in a narcisistic effort to get herself elected leading to all sorts of chaos behind the scenes. She is obssessed with being PM and this will likely be her only chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,604 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

She was booted out because of lack of any ability. She failed at everything she tried. The mini-budget was never passed but it was enough to show how reckless and clueless she was.

I repeat again. It was nothing to do with the drop in the tax rate or any other measure. It was the complete lack of detail, any discernable plan. All she could say was that she was right, and she embraced chaos. Sounds great, but not much good if you have a mortgage to pay.

As soon as she u-turned the 1st time she was done. Firing Kwasi was really her last hopem but instead of steadying her role, she was forced to take Hunt as CX which everyone could see had almost the opposite plans to Truss.

Her lack of ability to give a good speech, her lack of ability to show leadership certainly didn't help, but TM wasn't exactly Obama either but she at least had some level of competence.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,523 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

• Advertisement

Saying you’re doing to do something gets a reaction. And everything is overly sensitive because of global factors. Would be the exact same if Ireland announced something crazy with its fiscal policy. Sovereign borrowing costs aren’t just appearances. They are real and impact everyone. And they’ve only stabilised because of her u-turns and her expected (now actual) departure

Ahh FFS. Kudlow.

Now he can wreck the UK (even worse). won't he just do something useful, like die, already? Being wrong sooo often and sooo dramatically, with so much access to important powerful people...

But, was any of this surprising? She's always looked like a deer in the headlights when in front of cameras, and her speechmaking was laughable. Teresa May looks like Churchill in comparison. And, geeze, barely a month in office and already deemed disastrous and a complete failure with no prayer.

I think she got an extra helping of s**t due to being a woman. But, she's gone and it's next loser up. Be interesting if it's Sunak, one of his first things will likely be to ditch Hunt. Heck, Hunt should throw his hat into the ring.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Immigration was the last libertarian Stance left to Truss and Braverman sounded like a Trade unionist concerned about the reserve army of labour.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,523 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

But, was any of this surprising? She's always looked like a deer in the headlights when in front of cameras, and her speechmaking was laughable.

I only saw her getting shouted down at Parliament the other day, she reminded me in voice and tone of Jen from the IT Crowd.

Fitting that she's shouted for the Taxi.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,653 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

yeah I think you are right. The 1922 Committee have set the bar at 100 nominations and the speculation is that they've engineered this to ensure Boris cant get on the ballot. And also to give the impression the Tory party members have a vote but if its a 3 horse race theres talk of the second placed candidate in the first round just stepping aside for the winner to be crowned PM in order to avoid the party members having a say.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,953 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Seems that the 1922 Committee can decide what it likes regarding Leadership/PM voting. Some democracy that, deciding on the Prime Minister time after time with no electoral input, and changing the rules willy nilly.

Johnson is the cat among the pigeons. Remind me again why he was kicked out?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

• Registered Users Posts: 11,105 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Yes I know it's kinda important and will have an effect on us too but you have to admit that it's one hell of a glorious soap opera. The thought that Boris could get back is so bizarre yet possible.

Who on earth wants the poison chalice now? The crevasses opened by Brexit are so gaping in the Tories now that they'll struggle mightily to keep the various factions under control.

Maybe Charlie will ride to the rescue yet and whilst not compelling them but quietly insisting that must go to the country. Let the cards fall then and if out of power as most likely, then split as desired, reform and rebuild.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,097 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Nobody in the media suggesting the King will play a role here. They are all expecting him to just invite whoever turns up to the palace to form a Government in his name.

Truss never even managed to write a State Opening of Parliament speech for him.

Advertisement