Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BoJo banished - Liz Truss down. Is Rishi next for the toaster? **threadbans in OP**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Much as I love getting praised, I heard it from the incredible Alex Andreou of Oh God, What Now.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

by letting her abuse refugees which is what they seem to want most.

Certainly looks that way.

The vast majority of the very negative comments in the Telegraph today make some reference or other to having been "let down on Immigration" by all concerned.

Reading through the comments on one of the Telegraph articles about Sunaks speech they seem to fall into 3 roughly equal groups

One group seem to feel that it's worth giving him time to see if he can sort things out - Mostly "let's wait and see" type comments

Then there is the "He's part of the problem and is owned by the Globalist WEF etc. etc." Conspiracy group.

And then lastly we have the "Failed us on Immigration and not really one of us" group.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,141 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Amazing. I never even realised the Telegraph had a comments section - I never go on there since it's behind a paywall.

If those comments are representative then it's basically the same sentiments as the Daily Mail comments, only far better articulated. So the same level of racism, only coming from people with a higher level of education!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Ahwell

Yeah, I get why he would do it but it will be very contentious thing do as his first real act as PM. Her breaking the Ministerial Code is an easy excuse to use to not appoint her.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,464 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

but for the "english character" bigotry, that commenter was pretty much spot on. Sniveling, incompetent... check, check...

• Advertisement

I've heard the guys on the Pod Save America podcast use that same expression about Donald Trump and the Republican Party for a good few years (not sure if they themselves coined it though)

I only got it because they have a 3 months for a pound intro offer. I have it diarised to cancel, because some of it really is poisonous

I have to give them some credit though. They had plenty of anti Boris articles on Saturday and Sunday morning, including Saturdays lead and a eviscerating column by Iain Duncan Smith basically telling him that he was done

Yeah I don't get it either. If he wants to try and keep the ERG onside couldn't he just appointed one of their other headbanger members?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Contentious but only among the Avocado-devouring wokerati who read the Guardian. Sunak has inherited a party that's also become its own opposition. He needs to get it together now that Labour pose a real threat.

I saw it in a headline for The Atlantic as well.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,221 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Just how many MPs are currently part of the ERG?

With a working majority of 71 I'm wondering if Sunak would have the room to maneouver to expel some, or all of, it's worst members (e.g. Jacob Rees-Mogg, Priti Patel, Dorries, Braverman etc.) from the Conservative Party without giving up a majority? I'm presuming he has the power to do this based on my understanding that Rory Stewart was expelled over the "no deal" vote...

I suspect that ousting some of the most reviled members of the party would go a long way to reducing the forecasted losses at the next election.

• Advertisement

21 according to Wikipedia. Not big if that number is true.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,604 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

But that would imply that the wider Tory party does not agree with the main points that the ERG are running.

There has never been any rebellion against the deal. The Tory party, as a whole, is deeply anti EU, and the ERG are just the collection of those with the drive to ensure it happens.

That's an "average" number. If you look further down the page it names 46 current MPs as the "wider membership"

I think the ERG would have shrank since their raison d'etre was accomplish back in 2020. They have no reason to exist unless it's some sort of self-congratulatory circle where they pat themselves on the back or something.

MPs might hate the protocol but the government knows that the cost of removing it will be ruinously expensive. That's why it endures.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,881 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

So Suella Braverman is getting rewarded for being useless ?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

I would figure the "ERG Aligned" numbers as roughly analogous with the actual confirmed Boris vote , so around 50 or so potentially.

I said in the other thread that it could be so that she can just go off fail on her own, meaning he doesn’t have to worry too much about immigration matters. Can subsequently tell ERG people that he gave her the opportunity to try. Puts some distance between him and inevitable immigration policy failure

• Registered Users Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Has there been any likening him to Number 5 from Umbrella Academy yet? 😁

The updated thread title reminded me of the old song 99 bottles of beer -

99 Conservative MPs on the wall,

99 Conservative MPs,

They can’t shut their gobs, they act like knobs,

98 Conservative MPs on the wall…

• Registered Users Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

'Perceived competence' - what a joke. Everyone could see Sunak was miles more capable than Truss yet the members voted for her because she represented their views. I can't be sure that the members voted for Truss over Sunak because of her skin colour (though it wouldn't surprise me). I'd be fairly certain they voted for her because of what she was advocating, which would have me doubt their judgement.

There is a clear difference between the profile of the party membership when so many members are rich, old white men and yet their parliamentary party is far more diverse as you love to point out. Given the PP has avoided a membership vote for the leadership this time suggests there is quite a disconnect between the MPs and the membership.

And again, your defence of the Tories from racism is to point at the prominent members who are from minorities. How about how their policies in shaping the British state impact on ethnic minorities? That's what the charge of racism is related to.

There was loads of back-slapping regarding their being no white men in the four great offices and yet three of them resigned in record time due to incompetence.

If that had been Labour, Tory fanboys would be banging on about tokenism. So in the case of the Tories, what is it: tokenism or general incompetence? Neither are reassuring answers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭quokula

So Dominic Raab as Deputy PM and Justice Minister, James Cleverly as Foreign Secretary, sources reporting that Suella Braverman will be back in as Home Secretary. Michael Gove back in the fold too. It seems like he's keeping the worst of both Johnson's and Truss's cabinets.

Not a good start for those hoping Sunak might signal a return to mature and competent politicians running things.

Braverman sends a really poor message - I mean they are all poor , but Braverman resigned for a breach of protocols/rules a week ago.

If she had resigned on principal (*snigger*) because she couldn't work for Truss that would be different , but she broke the rules and resigned.

How can she get the same job back without any penalty?

I mean I know how , but do the Tories think that sends a message to the voters that they are "serious" about fixing things and making them more a more attractive voting choice?

Indeed. It seems, from these picks, that the primary lesson that he learned from Truss is that he needed to share the cabinet roles out amongst people who were loyal to his rivals. Unfortunately he doesn't appear to be picking the best of the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,332 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Found it odd that Sunak in his speech was so openly critical of Truss and talked about 'undoing damage'... any of his fellow Conservative MPs or indeed anyone working for him .. should be taking note of that....

So far, here's who's in Sunak's cabinet:

• Jeremy Hunt has kept his job as Chancellor of the Exchequer
    • Dominic Raab has been appointed deputy prime minister and justice secretary
    • Suella Braverman is back as home secretary
    • James Cleverly will stay on as foreign secretary
    • Ben Wallace is also keeping his job as defence secretary
    • Grant Shapps has been made business secretary
    • Nadhim Zahawi was appointed Conservative Party chair
    • Oliver Dowden has become chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster 

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Hoop66

I think it was Thomas Aquinas who said "If you keep reaching into a bucket of shit, don't be surprised when you keep getting turds".

To be fair , he did say during the last campaign that the economic polices that Truss was proposing would do huge damage and they did.

So while he is definitely throwing Truss under the bus (nice alliteration!) he did tell everyone that the bus was coming..

• Registered Users Posts: 17,972 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Braverman being back in 1 week after leaving the same job is a farce especially considering the reasons it happened

• Registered Users Posts: 16,362 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

I would have thought Cleverley and Gove were both fairly respected figures. Who in the Tory ranks would you have regarded as 'mature and competent' enough for high office?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭Shelga

I knew it. I knew she wouldn’t have supported Sunak without being guaranteed that role. This tells me everything I need to know about the character of Rishi Sunak anyway. No doubt justifying welcoming a fascist into the Home Office in order to ensure “party unity”. 🙄

Having a vile extremist who is devoid of empathy, like Braverman, in this position, is genuinely better in Sunak’s mind than having a GE. Just absolutely disgusting.

Advertisement