Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BoJo banished - Liz Truss down. Is Rishi next for the toaster? **threadbans in OP**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,477 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Probably accurate , but like I said earlier the decision to have her on board is all about internal party politics and will do considerably more harm than good among voters.

two years isn’t enough time to enact anything meaningful as all will be subject to court challenge. She’s there to look like she’s doing something on this

Suella Braverman's parents are both of Indian origin, who emigrated to Britain from Mauritius and Kenya in the 1960s.

Braverman understands perfectly well, therefore, of the need to ensure that legitimate migrants enter the UK, legally. She knows because that's what her parents did. She knows that any violation of this most basic principle is a potential threat to national security. She knows that it's an insult to the migrants who are trying to enter the UK via purely legal means.

If anyone is appropriate to assume the role of Home Secretary on this matter, Braverman surely is.

What you see as a contradiction, I see as her strength.

Arrant nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Didn't she resign from the same job 7 days ago due to a data breach or is my memory hazy.

• Advertisement

That demonstrates Braverman's willingness to hold herself to the highest standards of responsibility.

If anything, that's a net positive.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,477 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Explain how someone can "legally" apply for asylum in the UK under the rules that Braverman wants to implement?

I'm not adept at the intricacies of UK asylum procedure, though they have an outline on the official government website.

We know that what is effectively transpiring across the channel is an Albanian expedition.

This is Asylum Abuse 2022: Albanian Edition. No war zone has been inhabited at any stage of the trek by any of the self-styled refugees coming from Albania. During the first six weeks of summer a leaked intelligence report estimated that almost 40 per cent of Channel migrants were from Albania, a country with a total population of less than 3 million.

More recently that proportion has at times climbed to well over half. Out of 1,295 Channel migrants arriving on Monday – a record for a single day – at least 700 were reported to be Albanians, overwhelmingly young men.

Who here is going to argue that this Albanian problem shouldn't be dealt with?

Instead, Braverman gets attacked because of her parents background and other unfounded allegations of incompetence.

No one has any issue whatsoever with a country applying rules and screening processes to review asylum requests etc.

By all means , review the application and if it's not valid , send the applicant back from whence they came as quickly as you can correctly and legally process them.

However - When a country says "If you come to our country any other way than flying into an Airport or arriving at a ferry terminal , we are not going to even entertain the possibility that you are a valid asylum seeker , we are going to simply arrest you on the spot and ship you to an African country where you will not be allowed to leave" - That's a major problem.

Aside from being completely and totally illegal and essentially human traffiking, it's morally reprehensible.

It's a return to the old style "Transportation" that saw many Irish people end up in indentured servitude in Australia 150 years ago.

Also - None of the "allegations of incompetence" about Braverman are unfounded , she has proven over and over again that she is utterly out of her depth in whatever position she has been put in.

To be fair, and factual, when challenged on how someone being bombed in Syria could apply for asylum in the UK without making their way here first (there being no mechanism within Syria for them to do so) your response was “that’s tough”. You were rightly called out on it.

And in any case it is actually legal to present in the UK and ask immediately for asylum. Despite what the Daily Mail would have you believe. This is the problem that Braverman has, and why any attempt to make it illegal, and to deport people legally requesting asylum, will be held up in the courts for the rest of this parliament before labour consign the Rwanda idea to the bin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Braverman was an outlier in the libertarian leaning cabinet of Truss, the one Minister that was there to throw a bone to the working class and lower middle class voter.

He had to have her in job, to show a step away from the loopy libertarian economics and to help the working class some bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,703 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Fabricants "hair" seems to be moulting on to his suit, going on PMQs there.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,630 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I still think he's a Harry Enfield character. I know he isn't but I still think he is.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

Every country has the right to control it's borders. Suella tried to implement a policy of forced repatriation to a foreign country in contravention of international law. That is just incompetence not strong policy.

I have always had respect for what I would consider the "good people" of the UK (despite the football hooligan types or upper class elitist snobs) and I still hope there are plenty there. But if the tories are not eliminated in the next election then my faith in the UK will be severly dented.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,641 ✭✭✭Floppybits

When I first saw him I actually thought it was a Harry Enfield comedy sketch. I couldn't believe that this was a real politician. :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,630 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Same here.

Jokes aside, he's a pretty nasty racist and misogynist even by Tory standards.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 14,799 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Pretty sure he was on First Dates and the date mentioned the mane!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,534 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

"the need to ensure that legitimate migrants enter the UK, legally."

Care to list the ways someone can apply for asylum without actually entering the UK first?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭A Shaved Duck?

She lied at every stage of the email scandal.

Lied about it being a minor document..it was a cabinet document

Lied about the accidental sending to just her own gmail..it went to multiple recipients that are not cabinet ministers

Lied about the timeframe she sent the email

Lied about bringing it to the attention of the cabinet secretary...this did not happen andrew percy went with this to the chief whip.

Highest standards of responsibility... you are deluded.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,953 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Let them gobble each other up. Sunak has more loot than the King, so he doesn't give a damn personally. Daddy in Law probably pulled a few strings. Infosys isn't it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Ahwell

In her resignation letter she said it was an accident, that was a lie. She lied about the time the email was sent. She claimed that as soon as she realised her "mistake" she rapidly reported it on official channels. Again, not true. She lied to Truss in their meeting. Saying that she holds herself to "the highest standards" is somewhat negated by the numerous lies she made in that same statement. Just as Sunak's claim that he will bring “integrity and accountability” as prime minister is negated by bringing Baverman back.

That's a radical claim to be making about an individual, without a shred of evidence.

I said no such thing, especially in the confected context you just invented.

What I said was that it would be "too bad" if, for a given individual, there were no legal channel for them to enter the UK.

This isn't a controversial view. If I wanted to enter and live in Australia, for example, I would be rightly expected comply with their visa conditions or else I would have no right to enter and live in the country.

It's the same principle, only for potential asylum seekers.

Except applying for Asylum and wanting to emigrate are two entirely different things , but you know that.

I also note that Braverman ran out of the chamber a little earlier to avoid being questioned on the specifics of her resignation 6 days ago.

Accountability and holding herself to higher standards eh??

The 40% of Albanians crossing the channel are emigrating to the UK.

And that's the number we know for certain. The actual number of genuine asylum seekers, if they are genuine at all, are vanishingly small.

oh sorry. You said “too bad “, not “tough”. Clearly a very different sentiment

anyway, it remains legal 100%l egal to claim asylum while being picked up the channel, and therefore illegal for the UK to deport any asylum seeker before decision on status is made. Confirmed by court of appeal earlier this year. And Braverman wont have enough time to clear clear court challenges in two years

experts on the radio only this morning, when discussing Braverman’s brief, saying that will not be possible to enact the Rwanda policy (Braverman’s perverse and somewhat disturbing “dream”) during this government

Its widely considered that Sunak is more than happy to let Braverman continue up that blind alley for the remainder of his government so she doesn’t make any trouble

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 22,409 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

So, in order to deal with the Albanians the UK decision is to treat EVERYONE as an illegal immigrant and break international law by traffiking all of them to Rwanda?

Again you are deliberately ignoring the thrust of the complaints - No one has any issues with the UK wanting to control their borders , it's the manner in which they are choosing to do so that is the problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,141 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

I saw some of Prime Minister's Questions earlier. Sunak seemed to be trying to imitate Boris Johnson's style along with the exact same lines.

That, along with his cabinet picks, seems like he's not bringing anything new to the role, so far.

Advertisement