Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BoJo banished - Liz Truss down. Is Rishi next for the toaster? **threadbans in OP**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,362 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Like the ones about 'flag-waving picaninnies' or 'Papua New Guinea-style orgies of cannibalism and chief-killing'? 😜

You see how the goalposts shift?

2-years ago, the argument was always "they are almost all refugees" from Syria and Afghanistan etc.

Now it has been shown that *at least* 40% are from Albania, the goalposts shift to, "Well, we can't discriminate against a tiny minority...".

It's an infinitely elastic position, but always wrong.

We need a comprehensive, single approach to the problem that stops all boats from all criminal gangs. If an asylum seeker is willing to pay a criminal gang to enter the UK, I wouldn't grant that person asylum.

In fact, my policy would be as follows: "If you enter the UK through these means, you shall not be granted asylum under any circumstances".

If that breaks some international law, then so be it. Better to stop the boats and the drownings than to allow constant debate on the matter, risking more lives in the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,534 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

"If you enter the UK through these means, you shall not be granted asylum under any circumstances".

So how do they apply for asylum?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,221 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Let's be fair, Britain has quite literally invaded 90% of the world's nations. They don't deserve the right to refuse anyone seeking asylum or immigrant status from their borders legal or not.

Punishing the ordinary population on the basis of what governments and kings did in the past?

Yeah, that's morally acceptable...

Collective punishment is considered a crime for a reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,603 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

But collective treatment of all refugees as illegal is perfectly fine?

You are right, collective punishment is a crime and the UK is breaking international law.

If the UK are allowed break whatever law they feel like, on what basis can they condemn any other country? Like Russia for example

"Collective punishment is considered a crime for a reason."

But you want all asylum seekers deported based on the fact the minority are not genuine asylum seekers, that's the epitome of "collective punishment"!

Care to list the legal ways for people to apply for asylum in the UK?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,630 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

About right.

Call out any conservative for racism though and that's a paddlin.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 82,511 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Trevor's take on the latest contestant on the gameshow - esp. the backlash.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,548 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

This professor reckons Sunak's government will be a very right wing one and scarcely any different to recent Tory incarnations, even if Sunak is a little more slick and polished.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

Love the way he glosses over SA history. White farmers anyone ? And you will find it's the left normally losing it with Rishi POC not towing the left line.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,492 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

I can't see the video. ("The uploader has not made this video available in your country.") What does Noah say about South Africa and how does he link it to the election of a British Asian Prime Minister in the UK?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,630 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I can't see it either. Not great since the video was just dumped here.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,464 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

youtube link seems to work: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOI--lP8bVI

Noah's spiel was whites get worried when non-white get into power because they're worried the non-whites will do to them what was done to them by the whites.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,660 ✭✭✭storker

• Registered Users Posts: 22,409 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Visa and 'economic migration' are treated differently to asylum seekers for lots of reasons.

Asylum seekers are fleeing persecution or war.

Do you have any empathy at all for these people?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

I don't see a particular "backlash" towards Sunak because he's Indian origin at all. His wealth, out-of-touchness and other typical Tory things yes, his race not particularly.

That's something Noah made up in this own head because he had a monologue to write (more likely writer for him).

The UK is one of the most tolerant societies on the planet.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,477 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

You aren't wrong about the range of things that Sunak has been called out on , but there is also no question that people have been calling out his origins as part of their moaning.

I posted a link to comments in the Telegraph about him being described as "devoid of English Character" and there is also the clip doing the rounds of a Tory party member on a Radio show ranting about how he couldn't be PM because he wasn't really English.

The UK "tolerance" is a little different , they are happy and comfortable to have "different" people around , but significantly less happy having them in charge.

See the whole reason for Brexit as an example.

"People are saying they're taking over, Indians are going to take over the UK..." (because of Sunaks appointment to PM)

I cannot believe people listen to that guy when this is the kind of nonsense he comes up with.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,221 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I'd expect no more sensible a reply from someone who admires a political party which basically exists to ensure that those whose (inherited) wealth was derived from colonial plunder, exploitation and the slave trade (or more recently, plain and simple corruption).

Expecting Britain to live up to it's moral obligation to help refugees is not a punishment, in fact, as we've already seen from the effects of Brexit, the country (and it's health service in particular) is heavily dependent on immigration.

I'm glad you can see that collective punishment is something to be considered a crime today. No doubt that view will change in a few months time when Sunak punishes the collective population of the UK via austerity in order to avoid taxing the privileged "elite" he represents properly.

• Advertisement

First of all, Albanian asylum seekers are still only a fraction of the nationalities that make up all of the asylum seekers that come across the channel every year

So the Spectator's spin that 'half of asylum seekers are Albanians is just a complete distortion, pure sophistry.

Secondly, the increase in Albanians happened in 2022. This year. What's your excuse for all the racism and anti immigrant sentiment in 2021, 2020, 2019, 2018.....

Thirdly, the increase in albanian asylum seekers is related to criminal activity, including drug smuggling and people trafficking. The police are failing to do their jobs. Rather than impose a ridiculously cruel and expensive collective punishment on thousands of asylum seekers. The UK should investigate the crimes and break up the gangs. Focusing on asylum seekers is just the Tories doing what they always do. Deflecting blame from their own corruption and failures onto a weak powerless scapegoat.

I'm fully aware there have been racial comments on the margins, but they are definatively marginal. The context of his racial background and ascent to PM has been far more celebrated than not.

It's all a bit tone-deaf from Noah given that people like Sunak's family were exiled from East Africa after independence.

I dunno, there's an element of racial hucksterism in Noah's monologue.

How racist can the UK be if within one generation an immigrant cohort can go from arriving with the clothes on their back to producing a PM?

Why? You're just as bad talking about "invasions" of immigrants crossing the channel.

There has been overtly racist backlash to the appointment of Sunak, but it is pretty much at the margins. Even racists recognise that being openly racist tends not to aid their cause.

But that, of course, gives rise to a suspicion that some of the opposition to Sunak, while not overtly racist, is nevertheless motivated by covert racism. It's not a wholly unreasonable suspicion, but it's also one that's very hard to verify or refute.

It has to be acknowledged that the UK now has a Hindu Prime Minister, a Black Foreign Secretary and a Muslim Mayor of London. That would have been unthinkable a generation ago, and it's testament to the multicultural nature of modern British society.

At the same time, it doesn't mean that there are no racial barriers in the UK; just that racial barriers are more surmountable than they used to be. It's been pointed out, only half-jokingly, that to get to where he is today, Sunak has had to repeatedly justify why he should be selected over obviously less-qualified white candidates (and indeed its only a few weeks since he lost out to an obviously less-qualified white candidate). It has also been pointed out that for many years he has begun many of his speeches with expressions of gratitude for all that the UK has done for him, the opportunities it affords him, and how fortunate he considers himself to be British. This is routinely expected of ethnic minority politicians in the UK in a way that it is not expected of white politicians. It's as if white voters - not all of them, of course, but enough of them to be an issue - require reassurance that an ethnic minority candidate won't be critical, won't be a threat to their conception of "Britishness".

Racial hucksterism is right. It's about dividing people up and pitting them against one another. In his case, he's a professional mouthpiece for it.

"Sunak has had to repeatedly justify why he should be selected over obviously less-qualified white candidates."

Has he really? Sunak has lived a pretty charmed political life. He has been pushed up the system and the path cleared for him. Standard public school boy to Oxbridge to Westminster to Cabinet and now PM path - except accelerated really. He's the youngest PM in hundreds of years. Doesn't really sound like he's had to get his elbows out to overcome much prejudice do you?

My broader point is this: I'm not saying that there is no racism in the UK, I'm saying it's among the least racist societies on earth.

Do I have to point out that Just last month Sunak lost out in a competition in which the other candidate was Liz Truss? 😀

They're also happy to be able to pretend to be beating "the left" at their own game. Once that novelty wears off, however it's back to the day's regularly scheduled racist programming.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Cal4567

Yes, very little backlash, if any , over his ethnicity. I've been in the UK now for most of the last year. Indian hindus tend to be middle class and prosperous, live in the nice areas amongst the middle classes. Integrated well into UK society over the last 45-50 years. Yes, certainly the excess wealth issue.

Just speaking to a few Tory friends and acquaintances. The feeling I am getting is that if Braverman can do what no other politician has ever been able to do, stem illegal immigration, then the Tories will rise back in the polls, but not enough to lose power. Maybe that's why Sunak kept her. A stable next 2 years will also help, but what is stable these days?

Advertisement